Kitten won’t wean hut chews and scratches nipple and bottle when trying to feed him!!

rinarina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I have a 5 week old kitten Loki ,who i adopted when he was about 3 weeks. I know it was super soon but the person who was fostering them asked us to take him sooner . I was guessing that he wasn’t being fed by the mama and maybe the owner didn’t want him to die before we got the chance to adopt him so that’s why he made that choice. I’ve been bottle feeding him milk replacement formula. The first night i got him he wouldn’t drink any at all then he was fine. This last week up until now he scratches and bites the bottle when i try to feed him so from what I’ve read in every post that means he’s ready to wean . I tried wet food alone. Fail. Wet food mixed woth formula on a shallow dish. Fail. From my finger. Fail. So i just mixed formula with food in the bottle and still try to feed him even though he scratches it a lot because I don’t want him to starve. ): Can you guys please help me. I really appreciate it in advance

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of reasons for this clawing may be, he is eager, but the flow is too low... Try to increase the hole in the "nipple".

Continue to try and entice him into eating himself. Having more cats, he could look at the others. Momma, siblings, friendly cats or dogs around.
Here, you can perhaps yourself try to show him, how to lick off your fingers, and lick from this shallow plate...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good advice so far. You really must just keep trying until he catches on. Or switch to a 5mL syringe that is much larger and has no nipple to bite off and swallow. He will catch on soon though! 😊

Kitten Lady is awesome! Love her videos - she’s an expert! :lovecat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rinarina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You! Im gonna read more into these. I appreciate your help

rinarina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI! Welcome!!
These might help;
Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own – TheCatSite Articles
The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition – TheCatSite Articles
And, not to send you away from this site, but here's another website that can give you a lot of information;
Weaning — Kitten Lady
One of reasons for this clawing may be, he is eager, but the flow is too low... Try to increase the hole in the "nipple".

Continue to try and entice him into eating himself. Having more cats, he could look at the others. Momma, siblings, friendly cats or dogs around.
Here, you can perhaps yourself try to show him, how to lick off your fingers, and lick from this shallow plate...
Thank you i will try the first option. I did have him try to lick some off my fingers but he would just sniff it, so i rubbed some on his lips and along his gums and teeth. Appreciate your help as well!

rinarina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I have a 5 week old kitten Loki ,who i adopted when he was about 3 weeks. I know it was super soon but the person who was fostering them asked us to take him sooner . I was guessing that he wasn’t being fed by the mama and maybe the owner didn’t want him to die before we got the chance to adopt him so that’s why he made that choice. I’ve been bottle feeding him milk replacement formula. The first night i got him he wouldn’t drink any at all then he was fine. This last week up until now he scratches and bites the bottle when i try to feed him so from what I’ve read in every post that means he’s ready to wean . I tried wet food alone. Fail. Wet food mixed woth formula on a shallow dish. Fail. From my finger. Fail. So i just mixed formula with food in the bottle and still try to feed him even though he scratches it a lot because I don’t want him to starve. ): Can you guys please help me. I really appreciate it in advance
it’s been about
it’s been about a week since he started eating on his own !!! Im so happy for him. thank you all for your help <3