Kitten won't use litter box! Help!

robinanne13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I took in two 9 week old kittens, brother and sister. I've been with them since birth and even got them to eventually use the litter box. Last Sunday I finally took them to my apartment. Sister uses the litter box fantastically but brother refuses to. He knows where to go because he watches sister use it all the time and I've even caught him multiple times about to use the floor and once I stuck him in the litter box he'd go but he refuses to go into the litter box himself. I have the same litter that they were using at my dads but the boxes I have are higher than the one brother was using, which was a cardboard box lid. I figured this was the issue so I made a cardboard one but he still refuses to use it and pees or poops literally right beside it. I took him to the vet and they say nothing seems to be wrong. How long does it normally take a kitten to warm up to his new surrounds? Sister warmed up perfectly so I'm not sure what's going on. I've been having to clean my entire room and bathroom almost every day so please help me. Is there anything that I can do??

amandatay97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try to spend more time with your kitten and perhaps even get a second litter box! When you see that the boy is going to pee or poop,immediately teach him to use the litter box by putting him into it. It will take some time but it's normal:)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might find Dr Elsy's Kitten Attract really helpful in this situation. I'd also confine them both to a single, easily cleaned room for a few days, and put lots of shallow boxes down. The idea is to make it really easy for him to get it right. Also, put the tissues and poop from cleaning up accidents into the box, to get it smelling right for him. Make sure you use an enzymatic cleaner when cleaning up after him - its the only way to remove the scent to his sensitive nose.[article="32366"][/article][article="30274"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32804"][/article]