Kitten Won't Stop Meowing, Is Aggressive, Sits While Peeing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have a garden with a high fence there's nothing wrong with letting him go out there when he gets older. It really would be better if it was completely enclosed. I don't know how big an area your talking about but if you could put chicken wire across the top? He would probably be safe from dogs and Coyote's in there but you have to think about Owls and Bobcats as well. Not to mention the fact that he will more than likely be able to get out of the fence by jumping over it when he gets older. It all depends on your area as to what predators you would have to worry about. The next 7 weeks is crucial to his development and socialization. I would try and let him be around as many people as possible, other animals if possible, take him on car rides if possible, anything you can do that gets him use to noise, people, animals, etc. That way he doesn't get spooked easily or is shy when he's older. If you have a window that you can put a cat tree in I would do so. I would get a cat tree regardless if you haven't already. Nutrition's already been covered so I won't get into that. The more time you spend with him the more likely he'll just sleep when your away or at work. I wouldn't say what you were doing was abuse. It sounds like you were spending time with him. I don't know all the details of your situation but if you own a restaurant and are living there too. You do have to deal with the Health Dept. and I know how that is. I've worked in restaurants and in the commercial pool industry and had to deal with the Health Dept. a lot. That can be a GIGANTIC pain in the you know what. Hope this helps!
Well we live in a pretty urban area, so there aren't a lot of predators that can get him. I'm pretty sure he's safe from anyone eating him, but I've heard male cats often wander away from home and don't return so we're getting him neutered when he's older. He'll be able to jump away, so I guess I'll keep him an indoor cat although I'd have a much harder time with the Health Department :L I spend time with him, but maybe it wasn't enough. I also plan on buying a cat tree for him :)

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We live and learn. I remember when I was a kid you neutered/spayed cats at 6mo of age, now if they weigh 1 pound they need to get fixed! 8wks is young to me, not to have siblings and momma around. MAX thinks I should baby him still.....

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We live and learn. I remember when I was a kid you neutered/spayed cats at 6mo of age, now if they weigh 1 pound they need to get fixed! 8wks is young to me, not to have siblings and momma around. MAX thinks I should baby him still.....
We're gonna get him neutered at 5 months :)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We're gonna get him neutered at 5 months :)
Some breeders say to wait till around 7 to 8 months as you may stunt their growth. Typically 5 to 6 months is the norm. Most breeders want it done at 6 months and the vet papers sent to them if a registration and papers are to be given. How has his meowing now? Has he calmed down?

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some breeders say to wait till around 7 to 8 months as you may stunt their growth. Typically 5 to 6 months is the norm. Most breeders want it done at 6 months and the vet papers sent to them if a registration and papers are to be given. How has his meowing now? Has he calmed down?
He lives with us inside now, but he still meows non-stop. He only stops when I pet him or feed him, if he's eating or sleeping. Otherwise 95% of the time he's meowing. I don't know what to do. D:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s still a baby. Are you playing with him? Giving him time to snuggle? He sounds lonely and a little bored.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have thought he would have calmed down by now. As talkingpeanut said. Are you playing with him and able to give him enough attention? Cat tree and toys etc?

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a former feral that I took with me when I moved, only because the supersitious neighbors might possibly harm him once I moved. At my current residence I have a main thoroughfare behind the house and sometimes BUSY STREET in front so no way was FLUFFY going outside, and he meowed and meowed (I want out, I want out, I want out) but I tuned him out to save his life and he soon gave up!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they are that little at 6 weeks I would want them with their mom. If not their mom then with as close to 24/7 as possible. Yes to play with and feed often (kittens are always hungry ... a reason many people like to free feed their kittens dry kitten food.) Also kittens want to sleep on you. Play on you. Climb all over you with their razor claws. If you aren't set up for caring for a kitten there are many no kill shelter option that might be able to help. They cry when separated from their humans. Also your poor little guy lost his siblings and has no one to play with. So you now have to be a substitute playmate and mother. Like this wee kitten that just wanted to be on me. I got her gruel sorted out with rice to help her with the runs and now my niece's found kitten is a nice happy adult cat.
IMG_3660.JPG

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s still a baby. Are you playing with him? Giving him time to snuggle? He sounds lonely and a little bored.
I try to snuggle with him. He doesn't want any. Whenever I try to snuggle, he just runs away and scratches if I don't let him right away. I'm actually here the whole day because I work here. He doesn't seem to want any hugs, and he bites down really hard. The scratches also leave scars.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When they are that little at 6 weeks I would want them with their mom. If not their mom then with as close to 24/7 as possible. Yes to play with and feed often (kittens are always hungry ... a reason many people like to free feed their kittens dry kitten food.) Also kittens want to sleep on you. Play on you. Climb all over you with their razor claws. If you aren't set up for caring for a kitten there are many no kill shelter option that might be able to help. They cry when separated from their humans. Also your poor little guy lost his siblings and has no one to play with. So you now have to be a substitute playmate and mother. Like this wee kitten that just wanted to be on me. I got her gruel sorted out with rice to help her with the runs and now my niece's found kitten is a nice happy adult cat.
View attachment 208829
He was found on the street by someone else, so I can't find his mom or siblings. He tries to bite me and scratch me, doesn't want snuggles but likes to sleep in my bed. I know it's very young for a kitten to be separated from his family, so I try to give him as much attention as possible and find other cats & kittens for him to play with. He doesn't seem all that interest with me when I play with him though.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would have thought he would have calmed down by now. As talkingpeanut said. Are you playing with him and able to give him enough attention? Cat tree and toys etc?
He has all those toys and more, but no. He hasn't calmed down. I work here, so I play with him 50% of the time when there are no customers. He doesn't seem interested in playing with me, though.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the help guys!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is the cat tree in a window? I didn't realize he was scratching and biting. You may have to scruff him. He was separated from his mother and siblings to early and hasn't been properly socialized. Scruffing is the way the mother cat disciplines there kittens. Do a google search on how to scruff a cat and you'll find plenty of videos. You do this to the loose skin behind the neck and when you pull on the skin gently push them to the floor and hiss at them like a mother cat would. I know it sounds funny but it works. I would prefer you watch the vids in stead of just describing it here. I've watched some of them and it's pretty straight forward. You can hurt them if done improperly. Let me know if you have any questions. Didn't you say this was your first cat?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is probably a feral so you will need to work with him. The good news is you got him before 12 weeks so you can still socialize him :) I suggest things like practicing your fake puurr, the slow blink, being in the room with him without forcing interaction & if he gets nippy scuffing him. That or he is a rambunctious little guy who just wants to 'hunt' you. In which case scuffing or a light 1 finger tap on the side of his face should help teach him manners. Are his pupil wide? Is he acting afraid? If he is acting afraid then you want to build up trust. If he is just wound up he needs to learn manners. Our semi feral finally got the message about biting with that light face tap.
The Best Age for Taming Feral Kittens
Is your kitten acting like the kitten in this video? If so he is probably feral.
Beyond The Slow Blink Cat Kiss – Cat Wisdom 101

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With a kitten that young, I think a good question to ask is -- what is your feeding schedule with him, and how many calories are you feeding him?

You can often get biting, crying, and signs of frustration from wee kittens when you are just a bit short of giving the kitten the perfect amount of food (in calories) that growing kittens require. Usually 1-2 ounces of kitten/cat food given several times every single day helps them to stay full and happy (e.g. 5-7 small meals a day). I gave my kitten at least 250-270 kcal per day when she was young.

Kittens definitely try to let you know when they are hungry, and the biting could be part of that.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the cat tree in a window? I didn't realize he was scratching and biting. You may have to scruff him. He was separated from his mother and siblings to early and hasn't been properly socialized. Scruffing is the way the mother cat disciplines there kittens. Do a google search on how to scruff a cat and you'll find plenty of videos. You do this to the loose skin behind the neck and when you pull on the skin gently push them to the floor and hiss at them like a mother cat would. I know it sounds funny but it works. I would prefer you watch the vids in stead of just describing it here. I've watched some of them and it's pretty straight forward. You can hurt them if done improperly. Let me know if you have any questions. Didn't you say this was your first cat?
I tried scruffing him a few times, but I gave up because it didn't seem to have any effect as he continued after about 15 seconds. Yes, this is my first cat :)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know I just happened to realize. I don't think you've had him for a check up. It may be a good idea to do that and make sure there isn't anything medical going on plus, it's probably time to start getting his shot. You can also ask the vet about his behavior and see what they say. Him being stray/feral he really needs to be checked out. Also, I don't know if it's been covered yet but you should be free feeding a kitten and not having feeding times. I think you said you were doing that.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To recap what has gone before, and additional questions:

A cream tabby kitten was found in the street by a customer of my local pet store & veterinarian, and at that time I was looking for a kitten. So I adopted him. The vet said he was about 6 weeks old, Andy he was born on the 11th of Oct. At first he slept most of the time, and he was very sweet, didn’t rough-play. He sucked my clothes, so I did some research and found that he was separated from his mom and siblings too early, so he might have some behavioral problems. He started biting gently after 3 days here, and once he reached 7 weeks he started rough-playing.

At first it was okay, since he didn’t have a lot of strength so it didn’t hurt too much. But a few days after he started getting very excited during play and would bite and scratch and drew blood from my hands. I decided it was time I had to train him, but couldn’t find any helpful websites about this issue. He meows constantly and he doesn’t seem to know how to pee, since he sits while peeing.

Help please!

Last edited by a moderator: