Kitten Won't Stop Crying

4theloveofkitties77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I just took in a new kitten is that lost its mother. She is not yet weened so I am bottle feeding her. She is doing very well with the bottle, but she was cries a lot. I bottle fed one if my kitties last year for similar reasons but she was not as young as this one. She just opened her eyes good yesterday and is still a little shaky in the legs. She likes to cuddle up to me and purrs but she starts crying again. She is not sick and she feeds well. I feel so sad that I can't stop her from crying so much. Help! Any ideas!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I just took in a new kitten is that lost its mother. She is not yet weened so I am bottle feeding her. She is doing very well with the bottle, but she was cries a lot. I bottle fed one if my kitties last year for similar reasons but she was not as young as this one. She just opened her eyes good yesterday and is still a little shaky in the legs. She likes to cuddle up to me and purrs but she starts crying again. She is not sick and she feeds well. I feel so sad that I can't stop her from crying so much. Help! Any ideas!
Welcome to The Cat Site. Sorry I have very little experience in dealing with young kittens and can't offer advice. I think you can flag your own comment. You should flag your comment and ask them to move it to the forum "Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care". Feral for the most part means not socialized to humans. A kitten that young wouldn't be socialized to humans regardless of where it was born so I don't think this forum is the ideal forum to post your problem. I think the kitten forum would be a better place to have your problem addressed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
4 4theloveofkitties77

How much and how often are you feeding the kitten? It may be hungry.

It also needs to be kept warm with a heat source such as a heating pad under a blanket or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and placed nearby. The kitten will also benefit from a soft stuffed animal to snuggle.

What does the kitten weigh? Can you post a picture please?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Picture will help us gauge age quite a bit!

Very small kittens sleep a HUGE portion of the time - they generally only wake and cry bc they're cold and/or hungry/thirsty. As far as heat - we put our bottle babies in a very small room, like a bathroom, and put a heating source under part of the bottom of the enclosure (when they're very young, we use a cat carrier that opens from the top). You have to use a heating pad just specially made for small animals like kittens, etc. – human heating pads are NOT the same and go to a much higher temperature than's safe for a kitten's bed. But even an animal-speicifc pad should never come in direct contact with the kitty - put a light sheepskin or fleece fabric on top of the pad, so that they don't come in direct contact with the pad. Then make sure the heating pad doesn't cover the entire bottom of the enclosure you're using, so that there's enough space that the kitty can move over and rest OFF of the heating pad if they feel too warm.

It's a lot to take on, and sometimes you'll feel like you're covered in KMR - - - but SO rewarding! I've got a few links that might help you to look over (the first link has a lot of very helpful videos). So keep us posted!!! And keep questions coming - we can try to help!):

http://www.maddiesfund.org/orphaned-kitten-care-how-to.htm

Hand Raising & Bottle Feeding Orphaned Kittens

FCC Clinic Procedures - Raising Orphan Kittens

Raising Orphaned Kittens • Kitten Rescue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4theloveofkitties77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
4 4theloveofkitties77

How much and how often are you feeding the kitten? It may be hungry.

It also needs to be kept warm with a heat source such as a heating pad under a blanket or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and placed nearby. The kitten will also benefit from a soft stuffed animal to snuggle.

What does the kitten weigh? Can you post a picture please?
Sure, I will post a pic. I just have to figure out how. She is drinking around 40 cc a day she is 7oz, just started seeing baby teeth peeking through this morning, and her eyes opened a few days ago. I believe this would make her about 3 weeks now. I feed her until she refuses nipple and she always drinks around the same amount.

Attachments

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww! That kitten is adorable!
Well done for rescuing her and giving her a chance of living a happy and safe life :-)
I think everyone above is 100% correct!
Make sure the kitten is warm... place her in a carrier (open top) with a kittens/pet hot water bottle... leaving extra space.
You could also get that snuggle kitty/mama that makes noises for kittens and warm fleece blankets but most of all remember YOU are this babies mama now... she relies on YOU for everything and like someone said it is a lot to take on but from experience... i assure you it is VERY rewarding at the end
Good Luck!

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would weigh her everyday after feedings etc. just to make sure that she is putting ON weight and NOT losing any because trust me they look fine and eat well sometimes but at such a young age it is 100% crucial that they continue to increase their weight and get stronger. So, i would recommend investing in a digital scale and noting down on a paper, Microsoft word/excel (whatever :-)) and keep notes on feeding amounts, days, weights etc.
Good Luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should be getting 56mLs each 24 hours. The rule of thumb is 8mLs per ounce of body weight, divided by the numer of feedings.

You need to add in more feedings for now until she is eating soft foods.

She's adorable!