Kitten Won't Pee Or Poop?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's terrible that so many litters did not make it, but kudos to you and your shelter for giving it your best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:

The surviving kitten is doing well. She is now 18 days old and is 8 oz. She is nearing the end of her URI and is still on antibiotics, eye medication, and nose drops. We are still tube feeding her 9 oz every 4 hours. I know that she is supposed to be having 10.5 oz but last time some of the formula came up and we had to suck some back out, so 9 oz is working.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a kitten who has never eaten from a bottle to eat from a bottle? We are trying to get her to suck from a bottle using the miracle nipple, but she just cries and spits out all the formula. It is a lot easier and safer for her to eat from a bottle so we are working on that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may want to try a syringe first. Go drop by drop. The kitten may fight, but you'll need to persevere. You can wrap the kitten in a towel like a burrito to limit movement. The kitten is fed on its tummy with head up, with drops going in the side of the mouth.

Most kittens figure out quickly that this is good stuff, and will begin sucking on the syringe to draw the milk out on their own after a few feedings.

Once the kitten is eating willingly, you can try switching to a bottle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find my self saying this more than I ever thought I would, but the kitten passed away a few minutes ago. Due to the high death rate of the recent transport at our shelter, we believe that the kittens were malnourished and had a small chance of life from the beginning. Thank you all for all your help, but this litter has died off.

Although this was a terrible first experience, it will not deter me from rescuing more pregnant and nursing moms.

Without all of your support, I don't know how I would have done this.❤

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this. I am glad you are not giving up. Without someone like you, they stood no chance at all. At least, you gave them a chance.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. You certainly provided excellent care.

I'm glad to hear that you plan to continue fostering, as there are so many needy, homeless cats and kittens in the world, especially this time of year.

We'll be right here when you get your next litter!

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All you have to do is take a warm rag and wipe and hold it on her butt and private area till they poo and pee that's how mama gets them to potty by licking them.