Kitten won’t eat - please help!!

W&H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all - our kitten is 11 months old and was on Tylosin for 1 week due to colitis about a week ago (we finished the course of Tylosin last Sunday).

Since finishing the Tylosin, she’s gradually gone off her food more and more to the point now where she won’t even touch her favourite wet Weruva canned food and only sniffs at her favourite Friskies treats. She won’t touch her dry food when I present it to her, but will graze on it slowly through the day if I leave it out.

She’s still super happy and energetic, but doesn’t want to eat anything? When I put canned tuna water in the food, she’ll lick up the water but leaves the chunks of food behind. She last ate overnight, when I left some kibble out for her.

We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning, but I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on how to get her eating again since she hasn’t eaten since last night. Also want to see if anyone has experienced this before? She isn’t showing any other symptoms - it’s so weird!!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 month old kitten who eats very little. I'm lucky if he finishes an 85g sachet a day, and he also has a little graze on some kibble I leave out. He's not underweight, has plenty of energy and up to date with all parasite protection. Just not a big eater.

What was her appetite like before the treatment?

Try a couple different kinds of fish, and maybe even mix the tuna water in with some of her wet food to entice her. Some chicken, raw or cooked, may encourage her as well.

If she isn't losing weight and seems happy otherwise, I wouldn't stress, but good that she is going to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

W&H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had a really great appetite before the Tylosin, but we did try to hide the Tylosin in her normal food a few times so we thought perhaps she was just suspicious of her food? But we’ve tried so many new brands and flavours of food on her now that I think it really is her appetite which has disappeared :(

The other thing is that we re-located to a holiday home last night, so the new environment also may not be helping. She’s definitely still bright eyed, bushy tailed and really excited to explore the new area though so that is giving me a bit of relief. If only she would eat!!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She had a really great appetite before the Tylosin, but we did try to hide the Tylosin in her normal food a few times so we thought perhaps she was just suspicious of her food? But we’ve tried so many new brands and flavours of food on her now that I think it really is her appetite which has disappeared :(

The other thing is that we re-located to a holiday home last night, so the new environment also may not be helping. She’s definitely still bright eyed, bushy tailed and really excited to explore the new area though so that is giving me a bit of relief. If only she would eat!!

She may like dry food better than wet, I have one cat who touch can cat food. Could she be slightly nauseated? Sometimes new exciting things to explore distract from eating- maybe putting her in a quiet room with her food might help.
The thing is, is that I don't know if she would be so energetic if she was starving. She's getting calories somewhere.

W&H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The strange thing is that up until a week ago she was loving both her wet and dry food so much. I don’t know what’s happened!

We had her vet appointment this morning and they ran both blood tests and X rays - couldn’t find anything abnormal. They suggested appetite stimulant pills for 4 days to see if we can jumpstart her appetite. Fingers crossed…

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking her to the vet and taking such good care of her. Its much better to be safe than sorry. The pills should do the trick. I will definitely be keeping my fingers crossed.

W&H

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Really hoping this works