Kitten wont eat kibble

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, by-products and by-product meal are two different things. By-products are things like liver, spleen, brains, etc. Doesn't sound appetizing to me, but I wouldn't want to catch and eat a mouse either. :lol3: These are actually good for our cats, and I'd much rather be feeding by products than peas and potatoes, and I believe soy should be avoided at all cost.

By-product meal is different though. Any "meal" is, really. These are rendered products, meaning they weren't of a high enough quality to use "fresh." Rendered products can be made not just from the leftovers of human food production, but from diseased animals or collected road kill... food that was never fit for human consumption.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although "by-products" sound like some sorta mystery meat X, it's still animal-based product. I personally don't think it's terrible to feed by-product included wet food. My thinking is that something animal based, even if it sounds "sketch" has to be better than anything carb-based.

Yeah, cats do eat grass/greens sometimes. Is it the most bioavailable food though? Not really.

I feed raw now, which has been pretty economical for me compared to when I paid for premium canned. It also helps that you are in control of what proteins you are feeding. However, if I have to choose between a "high-quality dry food" versus a "low-quality canned food", I'd choose the by-products over.... potatoes, any day.

The Friskies varieties without fish is one I often recommend to friends when they are on a low budget. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...and canned foods rarely contain any "meal" products. I don't think I've ever seen chicken meal, or poultry meal, or by-product meal in a canned food.

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Food should at least have been non diesed and had a happy life. It should have everything heathy for the cat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to feed non-diseased food, dry is not an option.

If you want to feed animals that were happy, you're pretty much limited to local farms with pastured animals, and few people can afford that. Local pastured chicken costs $12 a pound here.