Kitten Won't Eat Cat Food Nor Drink Milk Replacer

onetimeuser27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have an 8 week old kitten who is active, loves to climb and scratch, but he only wants to drink milk from momma cat. I bought some kitten milk replacer today and he still didn't want any of it. He sniffed it more than wet cat food but still didn't bother. What do I do? I'm trying to wean him, but he's so stubborn! I'm worried he'll get too skinny. Help me please

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no personal experience of this, but I know my boys' breeder had issues getting Shenka to transition onto wet food. I think he was 8 or 9 weeks before he gave in and tried it...at which point he decided it was wonderful, and starting making up for lost time! He was (and is) a very hyper little soul, and I think playing was more fun than eating was to him for a while :rolleyes:

Have you tried thinning out the wet food with some kitten formula, to make it more of a drinkable consistency? That's the only thing I can think of. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along with some more suggestions soon:crossfingers:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can also try with goats milk. IF he likes it you have come a step forward.

You can also try to smear off some of mommas milk and smear the scent into the food?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried thinning out the wet food with some kitten formula, to make it more of a drinkable consistency?
:yeah: That's what I'd suggest, and be sure to put it on the edge of a plate for easy access, rather than in a bowl. Some young kittens start with kibble. Baby Cat from Royal Canin is just the right size. It won't hurt to leave some of the latter out for mama cat, either.