Kitten Won't Calm Down At Night?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Asking for a friend. She lives in an apartment with several other people, so the 4 month kitten is getting a lot of attention. She plays with her at night and then feeds her, and the kitten still keeps her up at night. Any advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she’s getting plenty of exercise and then a meal before bed, she should sleep for a few hours. Cats are nocturnal though.

Otherwise, it’s a matter of time. Kittens are busy, but she will calm down as she matures in a few months. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she’s getting plenty of exercise and then a meal before bed, she should sleep for a few hours. Cats are nocturnal though.

Otherwise, it’s a matter of time. Kittens are busy, but she will calm down as she matures in a few months. :)
Yeah, I asked in other places, and people said either to just deal with it or lock it in a room, neither of which is ideal.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine were just like that at that age (only a few months ago). There isn't much you can do. She's just being a kitten.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What if she shut her bedroom door for a bit? Does the kitten entertain itself or would it get upset by the shut door? That way it still has free reign of the house and its not being shut up anywhere?

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girls were four and five months old when they were adopted. Once I was satisfied with how they behaved in the living room/kitchen area, I was able to close the door at night and they were fine.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine have been roaming since about six weeks...granted, that was with mom and aunt with them, I think they would have broken the door down if I had tried to keep them in, but there have never been cats in my bedroom and they don't mind at all.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She got a kitten. It's just the age. Kitty will grow out of it in a few months by 7 or 8 months it's usually a little better as long as she's not doing the wrong things now. If she is getting up and trying to placate her kitten with attention or by talking to her that will train the kitten that she can elicit attention at all hours. The best thing your friend can do is ignore the kitten and just let her do her thing.

Yes, it's hard to sleep with a kitten running around, leaping on the bed, you, pawing at things that make noise and meowing but that's what they do at that age. I used ear plugs and extra blankets and pillows (to protect my head) as I slept. But I do miss those days when they had all that energy. Now they are too mellow.