Kitten With Swollen Belly

Kayazell330

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten 5 months old that her belly is swollen. It's soft so I don't think it's worms. I wormed her for round worms but not tape. Haven't seen any worms either. She's eating and drinking but does seem constipated but like I said her belly is soft so don't think it's that either. I seen people on here talking about them having fluid on their stomachs so any suggestions on what I can do? Her back bone and hip bones are sticking out like she's starving but she is eating. Really could use some advice please. Thanks

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible to take some pictures of her and post them? Have you noticed anything else unusual about her? If you're sure that it's swelling, I'd get a vet to look at it as soon as possible.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet can give you Drontal, that will kill both roundworms and tapeworms.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you posted in another thread that you are concerned about FIP. I think you may be correct. You really need to see a vet. I'm sorry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, FIP comes to mind. So a vet visit is in order, to get knowledge. If its not FIP some advices on deworming, perhaps change in food and food brands.

What food and what brands are you giving??

Drontal should be available prescription free. Another althernative of a mild all round dewormer is Milbomax.

But if it is FIP, pts is the most kind to do. People try sometimes to fight on, and I suppose sometimes it succeeds. But the process is a horror and the dying difficult.

So if you get a sure diagnose, my advice will be pts immediately unless the vet is very optimistic. Afterwards clean off everything as well you can. The contagion risks arent big, but whom wants to risk anything? Also, try to let the next cat be an adult. They have a decent natural immunity against FIP, while kittens are more prone to catch.

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tapeworms don't always make the belly hard but do make them very round.. If you don't have alot of money and just want the full treatment for worms most vets will work with you and just sell you the meds ..

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I might be way off, but I'd just like to mention another possibility. Has she been spayed? At five months old, she is already sexually mature and could develop pyometra. With closed pyometra, pus collects in the uterus, causing abdominal distention. A spay (ovariohysterectomy) would fix this. I agree with the other posters, you need to take your cat to the vet... they will be able to tell you what is going on.

Dgjason

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, agree with abyeb. Just took my 5 month old kitten in to be spayed and she had pyrometra. Sure glad I caught it in time.