Kitten With Strange Lump On Stomach

Anyone seen something like this before or have an idea what it may be?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Georgia123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten has a strange lump on his stomach with a hard hair like thing coming out of it.Hes up to date with vaccinations, flea and parasite treatments and has no other health issues.

I've never noticed it before and am not really sure how to explain it as it doesn't feel like hair, more like a hard splinter. It doesn't seem to bother him to much and I did try to gently remove it with tweezers but it wouldn't come out. It didn't hurt him trying to pull it out but it's very stuck into his stomach. The small lump under the skin attatched to the hair is slighty dark in colour which made me think it could be an ingrown hair. Any thoughts on what it could be. I've done some research and can't find anything on what it may be. Will be booking him in to go see the vet if it starts to get red and inflamed.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he ever had any surgerys? Umbilical hernia? Neuter? I only ask because it almost looks like an old suture. Very odd. Someone will be along soon with better advice.

He was desexed over 3 months ago and they did have to shave his stomach and make a slight cut up it as one of his balls hadn't dropped completely. I adopted him from a rescue centre so he got desexed by a different vet to the one I see now and where he recently got vaccinated at, but If I remember correctly they said he didn't have any stitches, it was all glued but looking at it more closely it does look similar to a suture.thankyou for your help. I'll see what other people think but I'll give the old vet a call and see what they've done.

aelu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have to schedule for our kitten to be de-sexed, and he had a soft bump sticking out of his stomach that would kind of sink back in when you poked it. It didn't bother him and I asked our vet about it. He said it was a hernia, and during his surgery, they would make a small incision, put the hernia back in, then suture it up. It is in the same area as the picture you show above. Maybe he didn't get his stitches removed?

Also, I had surgery for my nose a couple years back, and the stitches looked and felt exactly as you described. They cut them very short so they don't cause irritation. I went back to get my stitches removed, but they missed one. It was probably buried from the swelling, and over-time my "body" sort of pushed it out on its own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gave the vet a call and although on his file that the receptionist read it said he had no stitches it was all glue, she spoke to the vet and turns out he actually did have a few stitches (not sure why the file doesn't say that). One mustn't have dissolved properly and that's why it's started to poke through the skin. I'll be taking the cat in next week to get it removed. Thankyou for all the help

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
How did it go?

That actually happened to me once, the thread not dissolving right. Two of the three wisdom teeth, the threads dissolved right, but with the third only little parts of it dissolved and I had shreds of threads in my mouth. It tickled a lot when they were pulled out, didn't hurt in the slightest. Only reason I did that is because the threads were tickling my mouth non-stop.

So yeah, a weirdly dissolving thread is not a biggie.