Kitten with skull bump

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
* This is a separate litter from my other thread*

I was checking my cats kittens for any ringworm/fleas or any skin issues. One kitten has an unusual skull bump, I dont think she fell or anything though. Its not a soft bump and seems to be part of the skull with a soft edged sphere / roundish pyramid shape. It wasnt visually noticeable but maybe thats because shes long haired. Please help I got quarantined today and need to know if its an emergency or if the issue can wait for a week or two.
Her parents are 'doll-faced' and her mother has a pretty flat face, neither parent has any skull / skeletal issues, no jaw problems, presumably no extreme peke face heritage at all. shes 26 days old, still growing, i guess no signs of pain or discomfort, healthy weight, slight clear eye discharge, breastfeeds with no visible issues and she can run around just fine.

Her teeth, though it is quite unclear:
1645021852446.png

Her face before cleaning eye discharge (It had not been cleaned for 2 days prior due to me feeling unwell) and after:
1645021988149.png
1645022080954.png

What her skull feels like, a small version of the bump circled in green in the location of the red circle (the bump I drew on the first drawing is what I can imagine it looks like):
1645022236155.png

-Might I add that the mother has a cleft lip (no cleft palate) and I believe the kitten seems to have it too.

(The pregnancy occurred by accident , realized she was pregnant a week prior to my male cat's neutering appointment. How ironic)

Last edited by a moderator:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hard to say but sounds like her skull may not have fully fused closed or there is cerebral fluid leaking causing the "bump".

Either way this is something a vet needs to assess, particularly since both the kitten and mom both have a congenital issue already (the cleft) and you mention her eyes don't look so great either.

Do you have someone who can bring the kitten in to be seen since you are in quarantine? Personally I would not want to wait 5-10 days for this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hard to say but sounds like her skull may not have fully fused closed or there is cerebral fluid leaking causing the "bump".

Either way this is something a vet needs to assess, particularly since both the kitten and mom both have a congenital issue already (the cleft) and you mention her eyes don't look so great either.

Do you have someone who can bring the kitten in to be seen since you are in quarantine? Personally I would not want to wait 5-10 days for this.
Thank you
I dont have anyone I know that can take her (some are simply unwilling) and my parents are also in quarantine. Ill have to look around to see if there is a pet transport service available locally or maybe a rescue group that would be willing to take her to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mx4878

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you
I dont have anyone I know that can take her (some are simply unwilling) and my parents are also in quarantine. Ill have to look around to see if there is a pet transport service available locally or maybe a rescue group that would be willing to take her to the vet.
I cant get anyone to take her, what should I do?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cant get anyone to take her, what should I do?
If you can't you can't. It happens.
Sounds like she is doing ok right now even with this so continue keeping an eye on her and as soon as you are out of quarantine have her see the vet. It doesn't sound like an emergency situation so she should be ok for a few more days.