Kitten with severe diarrhea: who else has experienced this?

JakeandElwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have adopted 2 young kittens since 6 days. 2 brothers and they are now almost 9 weeks old.

One kitten is not doing well. He has had severe diarrhea for 5 days and it is only getting worse. It's literally water now. From tonight I also notice that he has pain while pooping. There is also a little blood in his stool.

I went to the vet today and he had 2 injections with fluid, because he was dehydrated. They also tested whether he suffers from a parasite: luckily the test was negative. I was also given antibiotics and antidiarrhoeal drugs.

Are there other people who have experienced this? How did you deal with it? How long did it take for the medication to kick in?

This is my first time having cats and I am extremely concerned. :( Thanks in advance! By the way: don't mind my bad English, I'm from the Netherlands.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my foster kitten, about 5 weeks old at the time had a similar problem. not severe like yours, he got probiotiocs and 3 doses of deworming. He was back to being healthy about 2 weeks later. I heard plain pumpkin can also help with diarrhea.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I hope that you are seeing some improvement with the medications. Initially, give the kittens whatever was prescribed, especially since there were no parasites present. However, at their ages, severe diarrhea is serious. It is not the same as an older cat who has more established health and you will need to keep in touch with the vet if this does not immediately start to improve, at the least. Were you offered any kind of a probiotic for them?

Your English is very good, so don't worry about that!

Is the kitten who was leaking pure liquid starting to improve now?

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi,

I have adopted 2 young kittens since 6 days. 2 brothers and they are now almost 9 weeks old.

One kitten is not doing well. He has had severe diarrhea for 5 days and it is only getting worse. It's literally water now. From tonight I also notice that he has pain while pooping. There is also a little blood in his stool.

I went to the vet today and he had 2 injections with fluid, because he was dehydrated. They also tested whether he suffers from a parasite: luckily the test was negative. I was also given antibiotics and antidiarrhoeal drugs.

Are there other people who have experienced this? How did you deal with it? How long did it take for the medication to kick in?

This is my first time having cats and I am extremely concerned. :( Thanks in advance! By the way: don't mind my bad English, I'm from the Netherlands.
Have rice with some extra salt with lotsa water. Boil the rice 3x the usual time. Give the cat this fluid as much he can get....