Kitten with Rectal Prolapse

southsudancats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

I am working in South Sudan and we rescued a kitten some 10 months back who has now had kittens. One of the kittens developed a rectal prolapse at just under 5 weeks old and I have taken her to the 'vet' here three times to get it put back in which they claim they did and sewed her up. All visits were deeply traumatic for both of us and then not long afterwards, it came back out.  I think mum keeps licking it and undoing all the work and we are back at square one.  The vet suggested I separate her from mum and her brothers and sisters for six days while the healing takes place but the distress to everyone is just unbearable and I am at work every day so can't monitor what's happening. I cannot stand the idea of taking her back and I don't have faith that it was put back in properly anyway as it always looked like it was still out.  The vet is used to dealing with livestock and had never worked on such a small creature and this was painfully obvious in the basic, not so clean 'surgery'.  They de-wormed her but again, using stuff for livestock...well I guess so by the pictures on the bottle the stuff came from...

I have been reading some other threads on this where some great advice was given but what I can get my hands on here in terms of food or medical supplies is very limited eg I can't get baby food here and I haven't seen any pumpkins either.  I have wet cat food, tinned tuna and lactose free milk.  Is there any advice on what I can do and/or foods I can feed such a small creature in this condition to try and soften her stools?  She is pooing but they are hard and get stuck on exit quite often.  All the kittens are still feeding from their mum as well as eating solids.

Would be grateful for any advice, even if it is that I may have to give up and let nature take its course... heartbreaking as that may be.  She is 7 weeks old now and the sweetest little character and by the way she leaps about the place, you'd never guess her bottom is in the state that it is...other than she licks it quite a lot and sometimes has a wee meow when she goes to the loo.

Thank you so much!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some ideas -

Maybe the vet could use sutures that don't dissolve so the mom can't undo them? Or if they only have dissolvable, it sounds like she should be separated and wear a cone for the healing period.

You could also watch next time they do the procedure so you know what to do and could help her yourself.

Definitely do not leave this untreated. A little trauma now is worth it in this case.

You can also add a bit of olive oil to her food to make going to the bathroom more comfortable. A few drops should do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

southsudancats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much talkingpeanut!  Really appreciate your advice.  I don't think the vet is using disolvable stitches.  I have to take her back in on Tuesday to get them taken out - not looking forward to it as they will see it's out again and then another traumatic session will ensue.  Goodness knows how mum got the stitches out or maybe they were badly put in in the first place...which I strongly suspect.  It's a good idea to watch the procedure - it would be nice to have an option other than to take her back to 'that place'.  Thank you for the idea of oil - great, I will try that immediately.  I noticed tonight that she is really straining to go to the loo and so far, nothing coming out - well not fully anyway. I tried to help but she squeaked a lot.  It's just killing me. 

When they try and put everything back in and do the stitching, they only give her an injection in the bottom and don't knock her out entirely.  She wriggles and meows and seems very very unhappy but the vet insists she can't feel anything.  I keep asking them to put her under fully but they don't seem to be in to that idea.  Their English isn't strong, so I am finding it hard to make myself understood and crying and stomping up and down their surgery room is obviously not helping...

Thank you again, it's so good to hear another person's ideas and support.

southsudancats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, i should have been clearer...  this is the third time she's been treated and stitched.  This time I can see the stitches are still there...or at least seem to be but the prolapse is there also.  Not an ideal combination for the poor we mite.

newmamaof3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can't get pumpkin, how about a little fresh squash to help firm up diatrhea? Puréed with water.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely don't try to pull any poo out if it's stuck in her. You can inadvertently hurt her that way.

She might be uncomfortable, but not in pain, when they do the procedure. Going under has its own risks too.

You might want to take her in on Monday instead if she still hasn't been able to go. Poor thing.

southsudancats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks newmamaof3! I will have a look for squash.  Nice idea.  Appreciated.

southsudancats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh heck talkingpeanut!  I will stop trying get out the poo.  Wah!  Yes, I was thinking of the same thing...Monday may be another trip to the vet if tomorrow isn't successful.  Great idea on the cone by the way - I am looking up examples now so I can make one myself - they don't have them here.  You have made me feel better that she is not going under fully for the procedure - thank you.  You're right, poor thing indeed.  You've been a great help talkingpeanut, really really appreciated!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy to help!  You may want to separate her from her mama if you go with the cone.  It won't do her much good if someone else can reach to lick.

Keep us posted!

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Separating her from mom might be difficult for a 5 week old but it may be the only solution.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do add a few drops of olive or vegetable oil to her food to help her go poo.

You can also submerge her back end in warm water until she relaxes, and gently massage her belly while she is in the water.

And, if you can obtain infant glycerin suppositories, you can shave off a tiny, kitten-sized piece and gently insert it, then wait while it dissolves. It should bring on a bowel movement.

Is there absolutely no English speaking vet near you who has experience with cats? I'm not convinced that another "traumatic" session with the vet will solve anything at all.

I'm including a link that discusses rectal prolapse, and want to encourage you to locate a veterinarian at a nearby university to help your kitten if at all possible. I do understand that most vets in South Sudan are trained primarily to vaccinate cattle against disease, as cattle are the primary source of food and income in that impoverished region of the world.

Please let us know how the kitten is doing. Rectal prolapse does not need to be life threatening.

Here's the link:

http://m.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_rectal_prolapse?page=1

Thank you for caring for this cat and her kittens :).

Last edited:

southsudancats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Dandila and Sarthur2, good of you to respond.  You're right Dandila, I will have to face the facts and separate her from mum if we have a hope of solving this.

Sarthur, thanks so much for your encouragement and advice.  It is so damn sad.  I've been adding a few drops of oil to her food and also bought tinned tuna in oil.  She pooed twice last night which was amazing but it did take some effort the first time.  She went from place to place straining and then I found her on my bed having a successful 'delivery' and I was so grateful I didn't even mind! 

About the suppositories - i will contact one of the hospitals as they must have something like that, or a chemist...

One of the vets speaks better English than the others but bless her, she has no clue about this at all.  She is well meaning but just no experience.  I hadn't thought of a university - there is actually one here and I will try and find out if there is veterinary school there.  People mostly get their education and training in neighbouring countries here - like Kenya and Uganda but it certainly worth a shot.  I can see there is the reminance of stitches still in her bottom, and so I guess I will have to go and get them taken out.  They will want to try and put it back in again and it will be back to person sized needles, meowing and wailing - I agree with you, I don't know the value of this and it is good to hear you say the same.  But with a complete prolapse in this crazy place, I have been in such a dilemma.

She has 3 brothers and sisters and I have been trying to keep her separated with at least one of them for company - managed 2 nights/days only!  Mum got very very distressed and developed mastitis...  I took her for injections (at same vets) and it seems to have done the trick, although she seems very depressed and gets anxious at the drop of a hat.  So worries me to do this to her again but for an extended period.  She has lost her lovingness that she used to show me and it breaks my heart to think she is so sad.  The vet wants to spay her on Tuesday but I feel uncomfortable about this as she is still nursing and it could finish her off altogether - although I do not want her to go on heat and get pregnant again.  That would be a disaster!

At least three of the kittens seem to be happy and healthy and full of the joys of spring!

Thanks again and for the link too - really good of you.  I will update you with how I get on this week.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not get her spayed while her kittens are only five weeks old! I would just keep her inside if she goes into heat so that she does not get pregnant again. I do not recommend spaying mom until the kittens are at least 8 weeks old, and preferably 12 weeks.

Also, I recommend that you make sure the vet has performed spays on cats before. Some vets in third world countries do not know how to spay properly and bad things happen.

I'm not understanding why mama kitty is depressed. Oral antibiotics are used in the U.S. to treat mastitis. What did they give her in those injections? How is her diet?

I would get the baby's stitches removed but not allow the vet to do anything more at the moment. And I would let the kittens and mom be together for now.

Glad the oil is working for the baby. Just keep giving her oiled tuna and putting oil in her food so she doesn't strain while you investigate finding a vet at the university.

Last edited:

southsudancats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, ok on the spaying front. The kittens are 7 weeks old now but the prolapse happened at 5. I will hang on, it did feel wrong.

I am terrified of getting her spayed as I have heard of two rescue cats dying post op. The vet has said she needs to dress her wound and check the healing for 6 days afterwards!!! Heaven knows what they do to her to warrant that sort of follow-up.

On the mastitis, the vet said they have no tablets in the country and so injections only way - she got three. She bled on the last one and when I got home from work I thought she'd been hit by a car she was in so much pain. But the next day she was ok...though even more subdued.

I will seek out a vet from the university and leave mama and babies alone. A relief to know that's what needs to be done.

Thank you so much x 1000!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are very welcome!

Please try to find a "real" vet to spay her. That vet sounds scary to me.

I don't know what was in those injections, but hopefully she'll get back to normal soon. Just make sure she's getting a good diet with lots of protein. You may want to boil some chicken for her - no onions or garlic (those are toxic to cats).

Perhaps she's feeling a bit run-down, and definitely stressed.

Let us know how things go!

southsudancats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry Sarthur2... Forgot to ask, should I put mum in a collar while I find a vet? Baby really squeaks when mum goes near her poor sore bottom. Thanks!!

southsudancats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just seen your earlier response, thanks!! Ok, chicken it is. Plenty of that here at least! I will try and find a real vet! Best to you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, I would not put mom in a collar. It sounds like she does not need any more stress right now. Baby's bottom should begin to feel better soon. You can even put olive or veggie oil on her sore bottom. And mom won't be licking bottoms much longer.

Mama26kids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this post is older, but did your kitty ever get better from his prolapse?