Kitten with possible diarrhea

ZsadistRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve looked through a few posts on this site, as well as a few other sites, regarding the issue of diarrhea in cats and I’m not really sure what to do.I am a huge worry wart and tend to freak out at anything that might be wrong with my babies.)

My 7 month old female kitten, Nami, suddenly started acting a bit weird earlier. She and her brother were their usual active, playful selves in the morning (Feb 4th), and, after their usual 12-3 nap, they were still normally active. But around 7pm, Nami suddenly started acting a bit lethargic and turned down her evening treats. A few minutes later, she used her box and I found her stool was a yellowish-tan color, was pretty runny (not quite liquid) and smelled terrible. After that, she is still a bit lethargic and doesn’t want her treats.
I did introduce a small amount of wet food to their usual dry food diet a few days ago, but Nami didn’t eat much of what I gave her and I did not give it to them this morning. However, I have noticed that one of their stools looks the same as what I saw earlier every once and awhile. I never thought much of it since both were eating and drinking normally while being their usual kitteny selves.

So, what I would like to know is, what should I do? Should I take her to the vet or ride this out a bit?

mcrow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hard to say. If she ate anything new to her diet that can upset their tummy for a few days sometimes. The cats both stay inside? Other options would be if she ate something she shouldn't have. If they are indoor kitties it's most likely either new food or they ate something they shouldn't have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZsadistRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are both indoor only cats. I was thinking it was the new food because she is very picky about what she eats. Unlike her brother, Nami doesn't eat everything she gets her mouth on. Thankfully she ate her morning treat today and it doesn't look like she's had anymore diarrhea throughout the night.

mcrow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are both indoor only cats. I was thinking it was the new food because she is very picky about what she eats. Unlike her brother, Nami doesn't eat everything she gets her mouth on. Thankfully she ate her morning treat today and it doesn't look like she's had anymore diarrhea throughout the night.
Yup, sometimes picky eaters are picky because they get upset stomachs. Might be she has a sensitive tummy. Some cats do better on food that's made for kitties with sensitive GI tracts. But then, if she doesn't have problems with her regular food it might not be worth the risk of changing foods.