Kitten With Pneumonia

kitties4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10 wk old kitten that the vet says has pneumonia. She prescribed doxicycline .01ml once daily. That was a week ago. He doesn`t seem to be getting better. Does anyone know how long before his breathing and rattling gets better? She said he would have to be on it for 21 days. I just don`t want to be jumping the gun thinking this should clear up too soon. Thanks.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have to do the antibiotics for 21 days, it is one of those slower healing cases. Most antibiotics take until the halfway point of treatment to show improvement in symptoms. Just remember to treat the entire course of medication and if your kitten seems worse to check with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitties4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have to do the antibiotics for 21 days, it is one of those slower healing cases. Most antibiotics take until the halfway point of treatment to show improvement in symptoms. Just remember to treat the entire course of medication and if your kitten seems worse to check with your vet.

kitties4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Just doublechecking. I thought that may be the case. Just need to make sure.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it were me and I'd not seen improvement within 3 days, I'd ask for a different antibiotic. I did this when my kitty had pneumonia. I wouldn't allow convenia for a kitten that age, but ask for a different antibiotic and possibly nose drops if s/he's congested.

kitties4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. This was my first thought. I may do that.

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I am new to this forum and seeking reassurance. My little guy has been ill since we brought him home from the shelter. Though we were told he was in good health, things were off from the beginning. A week after we brought him home he tested positive for a bacterial infection that was causing diarrhea, and pinkeye. Treated with metrodianzole (sp?) and eyedrops for 10 days. Things initially improved, then seemed to worsen again. I am so sad to say he was just diagnosed with pneumonia, and the likely culprit of eye issues is chlamydia.

Here's where I'm worried. He was given an injection of Baytril and also an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever, and sent home with an eye ointment and Baytril. Neptune is 4.2 pounds and prescribed 1/4 22.7mg pill once daily for 20 days. I understand this is under the threshold for retina damage, but I am so scared. He was so sick when we brought him in this time, but the side effects have me petrified.

Any ideas? I'm bringing in his sister tomorrow who I think has a mild URI, and am considering asking the vet for more info on the Baytril, or for a new med.

I am scared that his fever had gotten high and he was so sick with the symptoms seeming to come on so quickly. He hid it well.

PS - sorry for the double post as I posted this is a Baytril thread. I am very worried.

Marlow cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.....the antibiotic should had a positive effect within 3 days. I strongly recommend visiting the vet again for a reevaluation and continue to closely monitor your kitten's health. Very best wishes and please let us know when your kitten is better.

Last edited:

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I’ll glad to say I’ve noticed differences already.