Kitten with not much fur on nose

cthbdk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
Recently brought home Jasper (10 weeks old) and he’s been great. Very friendly, comfortable and affectionate. He had fleas from his mother, but we treated him and our home and thankfully they haven’t re emerged (still vacuuming twice a day and giving him flea combs to check though). However recently we’ve noticed his nose fur looks very… well, bald. He has a general appointment on the 11th for a health checkup and his vaccinations, as well as having had a checkup a few days ago to make sure his fleas were gone and the vet didn’t mention it, so don’t know if I’m overthinking it/it looks worse than it is as he has just been eating wet food and it’s possible that it’s just made his nose brown and wet.

The other pic is him before we got him, and his nose looks similar there, so not sure what to think… normal or not?!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one has responded to you yet. I don't know what to make of Jasper's nose. You said the vet didn't mention it, but did you ask about it at all? Has it gotten worse since the checkup a few days ago? Do you think the vet thinks it has something to do with the fleas?

If you think it has to do with his food, have you tried gently wiping his nose to see if anything comes off on a soft, damp cloth?

If it is not spreading, and you have another vet visit scheduled in a few more days, you probably are OK to just monitor it until then.

Hopefully, other members will come along soon and have some ideas to share with you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Jasper is an adorable little boy with his big gray eyes and button nose. I have to tell you that I was going to say exactly what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner did. You are definitely on top of his veterinary care, so this is not a crisis. Bring it to the vet's attention. I can't see the top part of the nose where the hair loss appears to be in the second pic so I wondered if you thought that the hair on his nose had been receding over the last few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cthbdk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Not sure as we didn’t mention it as tbh we didn’t really notice it due to being distracted by the fleas as they were all over his face.

We figured he had fleas when we adopted him and it just gradually got a little worse until we actually noticed it as he was scratching throughout the first few days we recall, so that’s possibly why it got a little worse because since he’s not had fleas I can’t see it having gotten any worse.

But yeah, his appointment is on the 11th so I’ll just bring
Welcome to The Cat Site! Jasper is an adorable little boy with his big gray eyes and button nose. I have to tell you that I was going to say exactly what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner did. You are definitely on top of his veterinary care, so this is not a crisis. Bring it to the vet's attention. I can't see the top part of the nose where the hair loss appears to be in the second pic so I wondered if you thought that the hair on his nose had been receding over the last few days.

I think it has receded since getting him a week ago, however on his nose where it’s balder there are white hairs so is it possible that he lost it from stress/the fleas when he had them and now he’s happier and healthier it’s growing back?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have anything to add or advise you about the issue of your wonderful Jasper, but I will follow this thread.
My Rainbow Bridge cat Pallina had the same problem in her last couple of years, and I never understood what it was, though I never mentioned that to the vets either.

Pallina_20180708.jpg

My dear and sweet Pallina, one month before she went to Bridge :bawling2:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also had a cat that lost hair on the end of his nose. Never really thought about asking the vet about it as it didn't seem to bother him or look like it was a serious matter.