Kitten with Mastitis, how come?

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 6 months old kitten got into her first heat a few weeks ago. She soon calmed down later. However last week I noticed her mammary glands are swollen so big as the size of eggs. I only heard nursing cats may have mastitis, she is clearly not pregnant at all, I am baffled, has anyone come across this before?

I guess she had a false pregnancy, maybe this was caused by hormone? Her nipple is still tiny, and the breast does not feel hot, it is normal colour, no discharge. At first, I thought it will recover soon but nearly a week now, it is still huge.

She is eating, playing as normal though. Any suggestion is highly appreciated

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your description it sounds like possible feline mammary hyperplasia, which can sometimes happen after a heat cycle in young females. This is a condition caused by hormones, but which can look a lot like mastitis. In any case, she should see a vet. Does she have an appointment to be spayed?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we called the vet the other day, but they said they are seriously understaffed, any consultation need to wait at least two weeks

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you call again and tell them that she needs to be seen? This condition can become more serious if it goes on for a long time. Do you have another vet in your area that can see her?