Kitten with litter impacted in back paws

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. I still have to work on these kittens. I've been in tears and exhausted anyway, but needed to start taking some steroids again...that helps so today I am feeling better--and I'm off to torture the black kitten again today...

I spoke with the vet's office. Whoa, I was met with some hositility. See, this vet works with the program I work for, and the woman who runs it has been doing this for almost 50 years. They have a history and she irritates them, I guess.

I was told they are a clinic and the last thing they need to concern themselves with is kittens paws. I calmed down and told her to calm down.

I told her to understand that this isn't just a case of nitpicking about dirty kittens. They do a fine job; I've never gotten a litter with this stuff in their paws before. I want to HELP. I will do some fundraising; will they please think about what would make their jobs easier and enable them to continue to spay/neuter kittens, or even more kittens for the program.

They don't want money, they don't want to show kittens, like a pet store.

So, I am going to start picking them up earlier after their surgery, so they can maybe take more during the week, and bring them home with me. Sigh.

Somehow I think the long conversation WILL help; it called attention to the problem, and I will be dropping off some non clumping litter. I will go look for the brands suggested above later today, maybe tonight. I hope I can find something.

My biggest need as a foster is kitty litter. It is expensive. The cheap brands stink, literally. I just threw a whole 25 pound bag away it was so awful. Somehow in three days I got maggots in my litter trash can. And I don't have flies in my house. SO, I am thinking on how to revamp my house to clean out another room for more kittens...

I live on a fixed income, though, and I need to do some fundraising.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should contact your local media (news papers, local tv news) about what you do
People love heart warming stories about animal rescues and those who work hard to save these helpless animals using their own money. You can mention that it's difficult to do on a fixed income, but you do what you can. Maybe the story can generate some donations of supplies for you?

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea. I started working on that way back and need to be more assertive with the media.

But to make matters worse, I just learned that the woman I just had a long talk with at the vet clinic doesn't believe me. Thinks I am making this up.

I wish I had taken more pictures!

What a way to treat volunteers....

On a positive note, the last of the stuff is out of the black kitten's paws. She slept through it which was the only way it was going to happen today. When I removed the chunks, her fur is still stuck to the stuff, so I basically ripped her fur out with it the gunk. Maybe I should bring that in to the vet clinic.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

Oh boy. I still have to work on these kittens. I've been in tears and exhausted anyway, but needed to start taking some steroids again...that helps so today I am feeling better--and I'm off to torture the black kitten again today...

I spoke with the vet's office. Whoa, I was met with some hositility. See, this vet works with the program I work for, and the woman who runs it has been doing this for almost 50 years. They have a history and she irritates them, I guess.

I was told they are a clinic and the last thing they need to concern themselves with is kittens paws. I calmed down and told her to calm down.

I told her to understand that this isn't just a case of nitpicking about dirty kittens. They do a fine job; I've never gotten a litter with this stuff in their paws before. I want to HELP. I will do some fundraising; will they please think about what would make their jobs easier and enable them to continue to spay/neuter kittens, or even more kittens for the program.

So, I am going to start picking them up earlier after their surgery, so they can maybe take more during the week, and bring them home with me. Sigh.

Somehow I think the long conversation WILL help; it called attention to the problem, and I will be dropping off some non clumping litter. I will go look for the brands suggested above later today, maybe tonight. I hope I can find something.

My biggest need as a foster is kitty litter. It is expensive. The cheap brands stink, literally. I just threw a whole 25 pound bag away it was so awful. Somehow in three days I got maggots in my litter trash can. And I don't have flies in my house. SO, I am thinking on how to revamp my house to clean out another room for more kittens...

I would report them to the ASPCA and even the police! At least the police could put you in touch with the proper authorities and/or intervene themselves. If this lady couldn't be "bothered" about kittens paws, she has been there for far too long. How many other helpless babies have suffered because of this negligence. I would even call my local TV station and have them do a story. I would raise hell.

And even if it was an "accident" she should have been concerned for the kittens when you reported it and also for the remaining kittens that were in their care.

Sorry, but this kind of thing just makes so angry! Shanynne

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

try contacting the litter and food manufatures and see if you can get discounted damaged bags of litter and food they are just as good usually and much cheaper. great for volunteer work. let them know you are a carer!

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
\\This is to Shanynne's post:

And here I thought I was overreacting...

I am looking for another vet to work with. Wish me luck. The woman who runs this program has been disrespected by the people in this clinic for many years. It would be THE thing to turn me off to helping the kittens, but I'll be damned if I do that.

The woman is 73 years of age and doing this for fifty years. She is afraid to lose the vet's services. If the relationship dies completely we have nobody to spay/neuter the kittens and continue our work.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ocicat_steph

try contacting the litter and food manufatures and see if you can get discounted damaged bags of litter and food they are just as good usually and much cheaper. great for volunteer work. let them know you are a carer!
Yeah? This sounds like a good idea! I will get on it in the morning; thanks so much!