Kitten with Frostbite on Ears

007Catz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Came here bc I rescued a kitten in December and, like this post, I didn’t notice the rough edges on the kitten until days later. I took the kitten to the vet and he said if the ears start to fall off then it’s frostbite. Well now the kitten has notched ears as parts fall off. The kitten was too little for the rabies shot at the fist visit and I have to take him back in three weeks. I’ll try and post here after that visit in case the kittens ears need further treatment. To be clear, it’s only the edges of the ear and I think this matches this post. It’s hard to explain how the edges are coming off but it isn’t huge pieces. Anyway, I think this cat from this post is okay but I also think it’s best to take the cat to the vet bc it would be easy to misread the situation. I’m just paranoid my vet is wrong and there is some mange that only eats the tips of cat ears. :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Thank you for helping this kitten. Do you have an idea of how old he is? You did take the kitten to the vet which was an excellent first step. Did the vet give the cat any antibiotics or treat the skin in any way? Frostbite is not always as simple as the ear tips fall off and you're done. If there is still necrotic, or dead tissue, that can be a problem which can lead to gangrene. Out here in LA, I am certainly not up on frostbite per se, but I have had ferals with necrotic tails from fights and the tail has to be amputated.

Did the vet give you any treatment for mange, or put anything on the kitten when you were in the office?