Kitten with food aggression and is mounting my other cats

Gizm0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten who I took in at 6wks old. The rescue I got him from bottle-fed him and he was raised with one other littermate, but no adult cats so he wasn't able to learn to socialize much, I guess. After I got him I fed him kitten milk formula up until 8wks along with dry food because he was super small and always hungry. Now he's only on dry, and he's 12wks old. Let me preface by saying he's the sweetest kitten ever, and loves being held, but acts crazy around food. Other than these 2 things he is a normal, healthy kitten with lots of energy.

My problem is he seems to never be full and is always trying to steal food. If you look away from your plate for a second he will grab a mouthful and run. If you try and pry it out of his mouth he sounds like a lion growling and will scratch. I have other cats and he eats when they do and he will sit at his bowl and do the little growls and hisses while he's eating the whole time, even though no one ever comes near him or his food. Another issue is he eats so fast I don't even think he chews it. I've tried feeding him small meals throughout the day and larger portions to fill him up but it doesn't last long. I never had a food aggressive kitten and have no idea how to reassure him he doesn't need to fight for food anymore

Another issue is the mounting. I caught him on top of my neutered male cat. He has a vet appointment at the end of April where he will receive his needed shots and be neutered, but I had no idea that he would act like that this early on. Is that normal? I have other cats but haven't had these problems before.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would almost bet you are not feeding often enough for a kitten that age. In fact, there is just no way to overfeed one that age! They burn calories as fast as they take them in! And I agree with W willow , wet food 3 times a day, and dry available at all times until he's older. This might, right by itself, solve all your problems. If it does not, let us know!