Kitten with eye infections.

natalierose123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday we rescued three cats who were abandoned by their mother in a tree. Today we found one stuck under the fence in our yard. This ones eyes are completely shut, and when I cleaned them gently with water it seems he has a bad infection in both. Maybe even blind. I'm sure I will be recommended to go to the vet, but we don't have the expenses for that.. We were in a situation where we knew the kittens would not survive without help. Any home remedies I could try would be appreciated.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They need antibiotic ointment and a vet's care. If you cannot afford to care for them, please consider surrendering them to a no kill shelter or foster network. Kittens are very expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalierose123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it is easy to say if you have shelters willing to take in kittens around you. I've called numerous shelters and they will not except. The only people that will have reviews saying they are a kill shelter. Like I said, I am helping these kittens and it is better that I took them in then leaving them near an ant pit where they were originally to be eaten alive. I've called over 20 shelters, I already know. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that you are doing your best, but they still need medical care. You may be able to order teramycin eye ointment online.

What do you plan to do when they start eating like healthy kittens do? What about vaccines and spaying/neutering? It adds up, and if you can't afford those things you may be able to find a foster network that can.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do a Google image search for "kitten with eye infection". The results of not treating the infections with antibiotics are gruesome, if not life-threatening. 

natalierose123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
since this website won't let me delete my account, NO MORE COMMENTS ARE NEEDED. This kitten was going to die for sure without my help, I am at least trying. Leave your ignorant comments.

natalierose123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand that you are doing your best, but they still need medical care. You may be able to order teramycin eye ointment online.

I stated I do not have cash to pay for ointments. I am going to continue seeking shelters until someone can. This is TEMPORARY so I can help soothe this poor kitten until somebody can help him. Do not ask me those questions, none of your business. This is not the question I asked, your further opinions aren't necessary.

What do you plan to do when they start eating like healthy kittens do? What about vaccines and spaying/neutering? It adds up, and if you can't afford those things you may be able to find a foster network that can.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one is criticizing you. You obviously care and you are obviously doing the best you can; we are just concerned about the obvious need for medical help. I mentioned that you could likely find the eye ointment online. In the meantime, do not allow the eye to crust shut. Continue wiping and soaking with warm water.

I was attempting to help you think of options.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Natalie-- I hope you come back to read the posts, at least and see this. I'm sorry that you're having such a challenge with that  little wee mite. Thank you for being kind-hearted and trying to help the little one and his family.
 I stated I do not have cash to pay for ointments. I am going to continue seeking shelters until someone can. This is TEMPORARY so I can help soothe this poor kitten until somebody can help him. Do not ask me those questions, none of your business. This is not the question I asked, your further opinions aren't necessary.
Yes, it sort of is our business. TP asks some very important questions. The kitten with the infected eyes still needs some kind of treatment for that right away.

EDITED:

I've worked as a veterinary assistant for many, many years. I am, therefore, going to provide my experienced opinion because this is a big red flag issue to me. If it's a red flag to experienced cat people and someone with that many years in small animal veterinary assisting, it's a serious problem. I refrain from using the word "tech" as much as possible just in case someone here is a licensed Registered Vet Technician and objects to my use of the term "technician" for myself. I am not an RVT because I haven't gone through a 2 year Associates' Degree program and sat for the licensing exam as prescribed by my state. Instead, I have over 20 years of hands on experience and many hours every year of constant continuing self-education. I have little doubt that I could easily pass the licensing exam if I was able to substitute my experience for the required college program, as I already have a Bachelors' degree in another field. The difference between my work and that of an RVT is the level of direct supervision by a licensed veterinarian. I can do most anything an RVT can do-- I just require a higher level of supervision according to the law than an RVT does. That's no reflection on skill level or capability.

I am telling you this not to brag on myself-- for I consider it a privilege to have had that experience-- rather, so that you understand that I am not a vet, but someone with many years of experience in hospital (vet) nursing, especially with cats. Thus when I tell you that this is critical and that you MUST find a way to treat those eyes and get him into foster care without delay-- it's serious. Eyes and health issues are taking priority now.

There is a very good article here on site that offers some suggestions on how to manage veterinary care for your kitty when funds are tight. The link to the article is at the top of the page, but I'll put it here so that you can get right to it. The second part of the article describes what you can try if you find yourself with an unexpected vet expense. I would say that this applies to your situation. I invite you to read through it and check out some of the tips and ways to try to get vet help when you think you can't afford it.

This is kitten season and many shelters and fosters are overwhelmed with babies and pregnant queens. Resources are very thin. Perhaps try calling them back to see if they can put you on a waiting list for when someone graduates and a spot opens up. Yes, you will have a bit of time caring for them until that space opens, but it would only be temporary and they'd be safe.

Here is the link to the article-- I hope you find something that works for you. But those kitties all need to go to the vet, especially the little one with the eye infection... as quickly as possible. And as TP said, it's urgent that you keep wiping the discharge and crust away from the eyes. If you can find the ointment she mentioned, that would be good, too. Even a plain sterile ophthalmic "vaseline" type ointment in a tube with nothing in it is better than no ointment at all. It might help prevent the eyes from gluing back shut from the drainage, anyway. This is the kind of plain barrier lube that groomers use to protect pets' eyes from the shampoo and water.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/no-money-for-vet-care-how-to-find-help-and-save-your-cats-life

~MackieMac

Last edited: