Kitten with diarrhoea and leaking poop

depp95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. I adopted a 4 month old kitten from a shelter about 2 weeks ago. Ever since we got him he had a runny stomach and his poo really smells bad![emoji]128532[/emoji] anyway, about 2 days ago he started to leak poop everywhere, it is like he doesn't have control over it and it is a brownish liquid and sometimes have the consistency of jelly. His anus is very red and swollen and whenI try to clean his butt he cries, so he is obviously experiencing pain there. He is eating, drinking and playing.Today I saw that his third eyelids are visible, and I know from previous experience that it is not a good sign so I took him to the vet asap and he is staying there over night. But the vet did not diagnosed him with anything yet and I am really worried that it could be something serious. He is eating whiskas dry food and I give him wet food in the morning, I have read that whiskas is not that good for cats so I am going to buy him lams when I pick him up at the vet. I am just wondering if anyone has had this same problem and if the problem will clear up? Oh also, the vet he is at is at the shelter where I adopted him, and when I went by the cage in which he was, there were no kittens left and I doubt it that they all could be adopted in 2 weeks time, so maybe they all got ill? I don't know[emoji]128533[/emoji] I am just sooo worried about him, I am so inlove with him!!!

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'd be surprised at how fast kittens get adopted. Fastest I ever had one go home was about 2 hours after it arrived onto the adoptions floor. 

Was the kitten dewormed at the shelter? It would be listed in the medical paperwork they gave you at his adoption. (Hopefully they gave you this?) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

depp95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I have all the paperwork :) the kitten was dewormed and he had his treatment for fleas. I did buy a dewormer for him but I wasn't sure if I should give him one because he already had a dewormer so I will ask the vet about that as well

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think it's likely a parasite, just because kittens get them so easily, especially in shelters. I would guess giardia, because that's very common and causes brown diarrhea. Vet in house tests often have false negatives as well. But it's very good that you brought him in, because it sounds like he was getting dehydrated from it all, poor thing! Metronidazole and/or Panacur are often used to treat giardia. Probiotics might also benefit him a lot, whatever he has, because his digestive system is so out of sync. I would ask the vet about that next time you talk to them.

Whether it's an issue with food ingredients or parasites, switching to a food with fewer fillers will help. Parasites thrive on those grains and starches. Iams is not a great choice for this. I'd recommend just feeding wet food, because that will have fewer fillers and also help him stay hydrated. Fancy Feast pates or Sheba are both usually good options and are on the less expensive end.

I've seen lots of shelter kitties with diarrhea and they all ended up just fine. Sometimes treatment took a while, because some strains are more resistant to medicine than others, and kittens reinfect each other easily, but everyone eventually got better (I only worked with older kittens, like yours. I don't know the odds for really little ones.) We wouldn't adopt anyone out while they were sick, though. It's possible there was something latent in your kitten's system that wasn't noticed in the shelter, but the stress of being adopted and the change in food may have brought it out in full force.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

depp95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response. I have looked into giardia but will it make him leak poop from his butt?[emoji]128584[/emoji] I will ask the vet about it just to make sure.
When I went to adopt the kitty I saw that they all had runny stomachs and my kitty has had a runny stomach ever since I adopted him but the last two days it just got worse and he seems to be in pain because he sits with paws tucked under him and back arched. I really just hope it is nothing serious and that we could fix it quick! I will definitely look into onther food choices for better digestive health :) Hopefully we can pick him up at the vet today, I will keep you posted on the results :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you took him to the vet right away.  It's not unusual for a kitten to get sick the first week or so after being adopted.  It's a little stressful and stuff is always going around the shelters.
[article="29716"]Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups  [/article]

anjayenunciates

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things with your kitten?  I hope better!

Monty went to the vet today and it was determined that he just has a weak GI system.  He will be on some combination of Rx food for his entire life since his digestive system is finicky.  But, other than that, he is totally healthy, and has solid, but somewhat soft (not runny at all) poos!

rayvenstar101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats have this, I saved them from an abusive owner (he was the bf att of a friend) he'd throw the older one (Zeus) and the younger one (Hircine, pronounced Herseen, his name is from Skyrim). The guy would slam Hircine's head into the wall of bed rail. He was only 3 months old at the time, so I took him and my momma took care of him and Zeus. Now, the two will always have loose stools. My point is, she might have been abused.

All4katz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. I adopted a 4 month old kitten from a shelter about 2 weeks ago. Ever since we got him he had a runny stomach and his poo really smells bad![emoji]128532[/emoji] anyway, about 2 days ago he started to leak poop everywhere, it is like he doesn't have control over it and it is a brownish liquid and sometimes have the consistency of jelly. His anus is very red and swollen and whenI try to clean his butt he cries, so he is obviously experiencing pain there. He is eating, drinking and playing.Today I saw that his third eyelids are visible, and I know from previous experience that it is not a good sign so I took him to the vet asap and he is staying there over night. But the vet did not diagnosed him with anything yet and I am really worried that it could be something serious. He is eating whiskas dry food and I give him wet food in the morning, I have read that whiskas is not that good for cats so I am going to buy him lams when I pick him up at the vet. I am just wondering if anyone has had this same problem and if the problem will clear up? Oh also, the vet he is at is at the shelter where I adopted him, and when I went by the cage in which he was, there were no kittens left and I doubt it that they all could be adopted in 2 weeks time, so maybe they all got ill? I don't know[emoji]128533[/emoji] I am just sooo worried about him, I am so inlove with him!!!
Have your kitten checked for good poisioning. Specifically Campylobactor Jejuni. It is food poisoning from raw or undercooked chicken. Or Giardia. Or other foodbourne or water bourne illness. I bottle fed a litter of 3 week old kittens that had Campy... all died but one! We sent the 4th to die to missou for a necropsy... after I became ill... i was in the hospital 4 days. It is zoonotic ( people) can get it. Causes severe diarrhea, with blood. Severe stomach pain. Wash hands and use gloves!!! Keep the kitten seperate fron all other animals.It is spread from feces and or saliva etc. The antibiotic I was prescribed was baytril. Pro pectalin for diarrhea... and Albon. The jelly like brown poop is what got my attention. Make an appointment tomorrow. Screen shot this for the vet.

All4katz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have your kitten checked for good poisioning. Specifically Campylobactor Jejuni. It is food poisoning from raw or undercooked chicken. Or Giardia. Or other foodbourne or water bourne illness. I bottle fed a litter of 3 week old kittens that had Campy... all died but one! We sent the 4th to die to missou for a necropsy... after I became ill... i was in the hospital 4 days. It is zoonotic ( people) can get it. Causes severe diarrhea, with blood. Severe stomach pain. Wash hands and use gloves!!! Keep the kitten seperate fron all other animals.It is spread from feces and or saliva etc. The antibiotic I was prescribed was baytril. Pro pectalin for diarrhea... and Albon. The jelly like brown poop is what got my attention. Make an appointment tomorrow. Screen shot this for the vet.
I just noticed tjos was last year