Kitten with diarrhea

misha13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I took in a five month old kitten, she was running around my backyard with her feral mom that i feed. She looked sick so I trapped and brought her to the vet to get vaccinated and dewormed. Well after I took her in to my apartment on campus she started having diarrhea (probably from the hookworms she was diagnosed with) I spent all the money I had getting her vaccinated and dewormed and the diarrhea still hasnt stopped. Im a broke college student who has a roommate that doesnt really like cats and is forcing me to give her away because she keeps leaking poop everywhere. Ive tried my hardest to get her better but im out of money and obviously no one wlll take a kitten with diarrhea. I feel like im out of options here, I really dont want to leave her outside where she'll just get the worms again but i cant spend hours cleaning up after her. Should I just release her back into my backyard with her mom and keep feeding her? My vet reccomended probiotics and antibiotics but i cant even afford that after paying rent and tuition. Theres no one I can ask for money my parents refuse to pay for vet bills since they dont like cats. I realize that if i cant afford the costs of having a pet i shouldnt have one but i was just trying to do a good thing by giving her a home. What is the correct thing to do here? Please help I am desperate!! Shes such a sweet kitty she loves cuddling ive never seen a cat as clingy as her. This is my first time posting on this website so please forgive me if im not following the correct format/rules! 

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you give a timeline?

How long have you had the cat? How long ago was the vet visit? How long since worm treatment? What food are you feeding?

I wouldn't release her back outside. At this point she's gotten used to indoors and humans. She can't just go back as if it never happened and she won't understand whats happening. If you can't keep her try to find a home. Contact rescue groups in your area and explain the situation. I will warn you that the feral aspect can be a huge negative so make sure you mention that she is now socalized. There are people willing to take in a kitten with tummy problems just be upfront and provide a copy of vet records so they can move forwars with helping her.

If you want to keep her you can talk with the vet and see if they are willing to work out payments. Sadly, most vets won't unless you are an established client. In which case, honestly, I'd look for a 0% interest for the first few months credit card. Just pay it off before the introductory period wears off and interest hits.

Personally, thats the route I would go. Tummy problems like that are usually fairly beign once you figure it out. But we do need the time periods and food you are giving her to make some educated guesses on directions to go. I will point out that sometimes worms take multiple treatments to fully get rid of OR one worm is hiding another so you may need a different type of deworming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misha13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her in about a week ago, but im pretty sure shes had the diarrhea for a lot longer now. i never noticed since most of the time she makes it to the litter box but lately has been leaking as soon as she wakes up from a nap. the vet visit was on Monday the 10th. I gave her one dosage of the dewormer on the 10th and the next on the 11th. The third dosage needs to be given on the 25th I believe. Should I just wait it out to see if the final dosage works? Vet said it should have stopped by now. Im currently feeding her dry food (meow mix) and wet food (friskies) and kitten milk replacer that says it provides probiotics. Should I switch to dry food only? and should i give her pure canned pumppkin? ive heard that helps with diarrhea. My problem is that my roommate wants her gone because of the mess, should i quarantine her into a bathroom until the dewormer does its thing? Its so hard because she cries if i leave her alone for even a minute. Thanks for your help! 

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Shes old enough that she doesn't need the kitten milk. Without that expense you should be able to switch to Purina Pro (still low cost but Meow Mix is not good, in my opinion, and I am not saying throw out what you have. I just would switch next bag). When you switch foods you want to do it slowly. I streth it out over 3 weeks but you can do one. You just slowly decrease the amount of old food and increase new. You can measure out and do 1/4 cup of new, 3/4 cup old into a baggie mix well, once shes eaten that mix do half and half, then 3/4 new and 1/4 old. Wet food is a good thing so I wouldn't cut it out. Although you may want to look at Fancy Feast instead, the nutrition is slightly better. With all cat food when cost is an issue you can order online through Chewys or Amazon and get a subscription delivery usually with free shipping and a lower cost than the store. You can also shop with a Target RedCard for the 5% discount and add on Cartwheel app for more savings. You can also usually find coupons online or in ads. I usually stock up on wet food during sales.

That aside and back to the main issue. Yes, give the medication time. That she needs another dose means its not done working. Also the poop problems could be related to a food switch (which is why you switch slowly). Shes transitioning from whatever she found outside to indoor food and her tummy isn't sure whats going on (imagine traveling out of the country and eating something you've never had). My girl was feral and her colony was fed Meow Mix (part of why I don't like it) her poop was like chalk when I got her. I put her on a high protein, high fat food and had a similar problem for a week or two and then it started to solidfy as her body adjusted.

For now, if you can, confine your kitten to an easy to clean area (I recommend bathroom but kitchen or any small tiled area works) to limit the mess. You could also do a large (very large) dog crate or rabbit cage (thats what I had for Rocket but she was tiny and it was a special order very large one) when you are not home if only to appease the roommate until it passes.

If you start to notice lethargic behavior, weight loss, vomiting or it gets worse you have a different problem and need to get vet care. If it doesn't go away on its own after medication and maybe a few days after the medication take her back to the vet. At that point it may need a different treatment or further testing. Like I said, those 0% introductory credit cards are great for aamount too low for CareCredit when you have enough time to get them first.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Canned pumpkin is an option. You can also do plain white rice mixed with boiled chicken (no spices can be used in cooking either) or I've heard of unsweetened plain greek or regular yogurt (only a little, like 2-3 teaspoons and you want plain unsweetened and lactose free if possible).

Make sure shes staying hydrated. Offer water and even mor wet food than usual if she'll take it. You can pinch test for hydrated by pinching the skin between shoulder blades and seeing how long it takes to go down. It should be fairly quick (1-2 seconds) and if its not you need to up fluid intake or see if the vet can give her subQ fluids.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   Kitten diarrhea is a common and frustrating challenge!! You can ask your vet about giving her over-the-counter (I use generic) Imodium. there are OTC products called Petpectillin ($4.99 @ Amazon, Prime eligible) and NutriVet Anti-diarrheal for cats ($5.99 @ Amazon, also eligible for Prime) that are also safe for cats.

IMPORTANT! Be sure to give her electrolyte balancing solution (unflavored Pedialyte, diluted 50/50) or Moms2Moms version of Pedialyte or use the World Health Organization's formula (the same as that on www.kitten-rescue.com) which is 1 cup boiled water with a tsp. of sugar and 1 pinch salt (whole salt is better than the standard sodium chloride, but either works) and 1 pinch baking soda. With chronic diarhhea (as with vomiting), the body loses its electrolytes and is unable to maintain adequate hydration. 

Meanwhile, feed her chicken boiled with white rice (not brown because of the fiber). You can also add the salt and baking soda to the boiling water and give her the broth with only a little of the chicken and the rice mashed in. Her gut needs time to settle down the inflammation (same as for those people with Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's) but you need to balance her nutritional needs as still-growing kitten.  You can also try feeding her boiled white rice blended with baby food - chicken with no onion or garlic added.

I agree with the suggestions to contain her - inside a crate with puppy pads or layers of newspapers will be invaluable. You can rig a "water dish"  using an shallow dish (or washed 5.5oz canned cat food can) attached to the crate's gate, using rubber bands & a popsicle stick or pencil that gives her constant access to the Pedialyte solution.  For a small litter box, you can use the bottom of a plastic cat litter jug or box (if cardboard, it's more difficult to keep it from leaking - stout plastic liner works best).

Meanwhile, maybe your roommate will be willing to try contacting cat rescues - AlleyCat Allies usually has a list of local resources for one's area.  and sending you my prayers and vibes that you get a happy solution very soon!!! Please keep us updated! It is a good thing that you are doing! 
......susan

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mix water and 100% pure pumpkin in a oral syringe up to 3ccs! Put it on the food. She may even like it! Works for both diarrhea and constipation.