Kitten With Dark Brown/black Poo? Help

AnimalCareTaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
92AFD0A5-29CA-4E5F-ABA0-91533E6AD183.jpeg
Hi all, just want to say this is my first day and first post.

I have a kitten that is about 13 weeks old and she is eating kibbles like my other cats and sometimes some cat tuna.
I have been giving her Viralys as directed by a vet a while ago, along with some eye drops because of her one eye that will be needed to be removed.

Main Question:
is the poops color (Dark brown/black) a dangerous sign?

Her stools are dark brown/black with some lighter coloring.
I will show you a picture on her poo.
I am not new to taking care of animals, I've been raised my whole life with them, BUT I am no expert and I am seeking help.

Please note that this stool of her is dry and old.
I have not been paying attention to her poop colors in the past.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
What kibble do you feed her? If it’s rabbit, our vet said that is normal for rabbit protein. our cat also has poop very dark colored, which happened once we started feeding Nature’s Variety Instinct LID rabbit kibble.

If you aren’t feeding rabbit, maybe a vet call or visit would be a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnimalCareTaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't take her to the vet unless it is an emergency as I am poor.
I'm only a kid.

AnimalCareTaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meow mix- "has" "chicken,turkey,salmon,ocean fish.
it has taurine, calcium and vitamin D, antioxidant rich, fortified with vitamins & minerals"
first ingredient is whole ground corn. It's called "Sams Clubs Exlusive Mix- Meow mix" it's a 20lb bag. Thank you for helping

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not the food then, although finding a food with meat as the first ingredient would be healthier.

I don’t have any experience with kitten poop specifically, hopefully someone else can weigh in. I know you wouldn’t be able to go to the vet, but could you call one up to see if this is something to be concerned with? They might be able to give you options.

AnimalCareTaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try. Could you tell me what color the poop actually is? I might be color blind.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The poop color varies from light to dark brown but not black. if the kitten is eating well and growing, I don’t think you need to worry. There is a very cheap test called the guaiac test to determine the presence of blood in stool. Maybe you can get your vet to give you a guaiac card. You smear a bit of stool on the card and then drip a special reagent on that; it will change color to black in the presence of blood. You can also get a guaiac card from a physician or maybe from a place where they draw blood to send to a lab.

What makes you think you may be color-blind? Do you have any relatives who are?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dark poop is sometimes caused by dehydration. Try adding wet food to her diet each day in addition to the dry food. Her poop color should lighten up.

Otherwise, your kitten sounds healthy to me! :)

AnimalCareTaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, recentley got back in this forum, late reply but... The Kitten is doing well and is gorgeous and a darling, thanks for all the advice.