Kitten with bloated tummy?

kyro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We used Panacur for the worms. 3 days after completing the dose, they had me bring in a sample which was clean of any worms. I will def get another dose of it if he should be treated more than once. Is pyrantel better? He was de-wormed with Nexen at the shelter 2-3 times but that didn't help. He passes a lot of gas with kitten chow so I tried grain free which helped the gas some it seemed. He recently got into another Cat chow and had the same gas problem so I do think he does better with grain free. I tried wet food but any amount of it gives him diarrhea. I can get goat milk locally, does that help? I am going to be giving him nutrical because though he has a big belly, you can feel his spine and hip bones which seems typical of roundworms. He was also the runt of the litter and was found without a mother so I am unsure if he was bottle-fed or had a surrogate mother.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

We used Panacur for the worms. 3 days after completing the dose, they had me bring in a sample which was clean of any worms. I will def get another dose of it if he should be treated more than once. Is pyrantel better? He was de-wormed with Nexen at the shelter 2-3 times but that didn't help. He passes a lot of gas with kitten chow so I tried grain free which helped the gas some it seemed. He recently got into another Cat chow and had the same gas problem so I do think he does better with grain free. I tried wet food but any amount of it gives him diarrhea. I can get goat milk locally, does that help? I am going to be giving him nutrical because though he has a big belly, you can feel his spine and hip bones which seems typical of roundworms. He was also the runt of the litter and was found without a mother so I am unsure if he was bottle-fed or had a surrogate mother.
Nexen you probably mean  Nemex, by the big Pfizer medical company.   This preparate contains pyrantel, so it should be mild and good for its purpose, the roundworms.

Panacur is entirely another preparate, an all round one...  And not so mild.   That is why  pyrantel is recommended for small kittens - its mild and usually enough.

Sometimes its wise to try with something else, and it has been done.   Although as I remember, Panacur (ie  its swedish equivalent Axilur) shall be done again after a while, thriece.    If you find Milbomax - you can use it instead.  Its an all round too, but seems to be mild, as it is allowed for small kittens too.

Goat milk is mild, everyone with sensitive stomach can use it, both humans and most animals.   Its even useful as emergency  kmr...

Can you even get fresh goat milk?   Its even better than bottled.  I cant  promise it will help, but  it cant hurt, and who knows??

People with bad stomach had always been recommended milk to calm the stomach, and goat milk is the best of them all...

Also, it strikes me you can try with some probiotic.   Look in our nutrient forum, there are surely treads about recommended probiotics.  Or use the search facility.

Visible spine and hips arent signs of roundworms as such, but of course, a kitten with much worms doenst gets enough nutrition, and thus, gets visible hips...

I dont know if you get any wiser after these my words.  The only real substance here is the tip on goat milk, and probiotics....

Good luck!

cindy deaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also you should get the kitten some kitten weaning formula, i have rescued, bottled fed & raised alot of kittens. They need the nutrients since they are not getting their mothers milk, you should do this until they are at least 8wks old.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also you should get the kitten some kitten weaning formula, i have rescued, bottled fed & raised alot of kittens. They need the nutrients since they are not getting their mothers milk, you should do this until they are at least 8wks old.
You are right, but some people around the world cannot get or maybe cannot afford kmr, which is why we recommend goat milk as a good low-lactose substitute, as it is available almost anywhere.

Last edited:

sammymusial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how much does worm medicine cost ? I have a 3 week old and he is very bloated I don't have a lot of extra funds right now so im trying to do everything I can before t what other reason could it be besides worms?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

how much does worm medicine cost ? I have a 3 week old and he is very bloated I don't have a lot of extra funds right now so im trying to do everything I can before t what other reason could it be besides worms?
Kittens usaully need deworming for roundworms.  A good choices is some good preparate using Pyrantel poamate as the active ingrediense.   It should be safe and mild even for kittens this age.   At least the swedish Banminth Pyrantel preparate is.   There are even som OTC preparates, which I presume are cheaper.

Make sure its for cats and with fresh date. Try to find the correct dosage for kittens.

You can probably phone your vet and ask, and hopefully get these advices for free.

Milbomax is a good all-round dewormer, also useful for small kittens.  Milbomax is a british brand, but they sell it abroads too.

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd just like to point out that not EVERY dry cat food has nothing but by products and a crap ton of carbs. If you actually shop somewhere other than large box stores or grocery stores then the majority of food you come across isn't all that unhealthy. I feed both my cat and my dog Wellness Grain Free. No by products, no fillers such as corn, wheat, soy, etc. First few ingredients are real meat or meat meal.

I do agree that Raw feeding would be best, when fed right (which most don't know how to do), but not everyone has the budget for hundreds of dollars to spend on pet food each month.

A strictly wet food diet can actually end up causing kidney issues later in life. This is why a lot of cats eat a mix diet of dry and wet food.
I know this reply and post is extremely old but I thought I would comment back after reading several comments regarding food and what is and isn't good.

First, wet food does NOT cause kidney failure later in life. In fact, a cat that is in renal failure or has any urinary tract issues such as stones is actually advised and often prescribed a wet diet. Some vets are uneducated or to busy and hand the first bag of I/D dry food in their reach but most take the time to advise WET FOOD and moisture.

Second, it is nearly impossible to make a completely additive and filler free dry food due to the rigorous process it HAS to go through to make it a kibble. Read up on the extrusion process and you will see what I mean.

Third, when you speak of "no fillers" I want to point out that just because the food says "no fillers" does not mean "no fillers". No fillers according to their marketing ploy is referred to as no corn, wheat , soy etc as you mentioned . I am not bashing you btw but more so on the pet marketing ploys and clever tricks.

A "filler" means a product added that has no purpose . So, I beg to differ when they add peas, pea protein, pea starch, pea fiber, (or to be blunt just an insoluble undigestible carb), ground peas, yellow peas, green peas, chick peas, potatoes. Now, why have they all started using pea's as their "fillers"? Two main reasons. Well 3. Or 4!

1/ it sounds and looks better and they can claim "grain free".
2/ Peas (though still a carb) contain a type of protein in them which is a PLANT based protein and cats do not digest PLANT proteins nonetheless it still brings their protein percentage up on their labels!! Very MISLEADING.
3/ They can break peas down into so many different ways and place in the label that it is also misleading making it appear as though a meat source is the heaviest ingredient when really it's the 10 different listings of peas.
4/ peas are relatively just as cheap as corn and wheat.

So you have chicken for your 1st ingr. But then peas, pea starch, pea fiber and yellow peas for your 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 8th. Add all those peas up and now it weighs more than your chicken. Chicken is no longer your "1st ingredient " . Of course, the same can be done with grains and others. Basically, this is what companies due- by breaking up inferior ingredients so that they can list chicken as their 1st ingredient.

And what is all this "grain free" diets anyway?? The diet was designed to reduce and balance blood sugar levels in conjunction with lowering inflammation from balanced sugars. But when they add carbs like potatoe which actually converts to glucose rapidly - one misses out on the point of what is supposed to be achieved with the "grain free" diet. The problem is consumers and marketing ploys realize that most people don't realize and understand this purpose and concept of "grain free" . High complex carbs like pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoe are less of concern IF the amount is of little concern meaning no more than 1/4 if the total.

I think the most reasonable is to weigh your options. If there is high protein and little grain versus little to moderate protein and nearly half or more of other carbs like peas and potatoes then I would go with the first when considering all the sources even though it's not considered "grain free".

When it comes down to it. Is canned better than dry? Some will say it boils down to the only difference being moisture content but I also beg to differ. You cannot tell me that a can of wet food is the same as dry, processed gone under rigorous extrusion such as kibble. Overall, a can of wet food does tend to have a much smaller carb percent when you configure that out and also less carbs in the ingredients in general. The cheaper store bought like CANNED friskies overall has a decent label on some but my only concern would be the quality of meat source when they list "by products" or even worse "meat by products" because you have no idea what it might be. I'm not crazy about "meat meal" either because you have no idea what animal source it is coming from or worse from where.

Anyhow, I know this was extremely long but I just noticed a lot of misleading or uneducated comments regarding canned foods in here. By any means, I am not trying to downgrade dry food (or yourself in general) as my own cats have access to dry food.I just wanted to clarify the misunderstanding directed towards the wet food and the wet versus dry food debate and the pet food labels and marketing ploys by consumers.