Kitten with abnormal looking eyes??

niki13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a litter of kittens that are approximately 3 weeks old. All kittens have their eyes open and are nursing well. However, I have one kitten that looks almost as if he/she has Downs syndrome. (S)he has small eyes and is larger than the other kittens. Also, this kitten seems to be a little slower than the others meaning, (s)he acts almost as if (s)he has difficulty seeing. This kitten is much more calmer than the other kittens though it does nurse as enthusiastically as the other kittens. The other kittens are much more vocal than this one though it does cry occasionally if it wonders out of the bed. It is the sweetest little baby... Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on with this kitten? [Also - I have examined the kitten's eyes very closely - thought maybe the eyes just wasn't open all the way yet. However, the eye slit does not extend any further than this...]

Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is still fairly normal at that age. Some kittens mature faster than others. But if he hasn't opened his eyes fully in another week or 2, I'd have the vet take a look.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks normal to me. One eye is a little bigger than the other in this pic, but I think that may have been the Expression on his face.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder, is he perhaps  more longhaired than the others?  I have heard the shorthaired siblings tends to be quicker off than their longhaired litter-siblings.

Good luck!

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on with this kitten? [Also - I have examined the kitten's eyes very closely - thought maybe the eyes just wasn't open all the way yet. However, the eye slit does not extend any further than this...]
I agree with the other responses that he looks pretty normal for his age. I know it may look like the eye slip doesnt extend any further but sometimes that can be misleading. He just looks like he's still workin on it! 

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he's just a baaaaaby, he looks completely normal, if he had gigantic eyes, you could be like O3O, but otherwise, they look like tiny little baby eyes, they'll grow xD (even though I;ve heard your eyes don;t actually grow, they're they same size from birth to adulthood, dunno how that's possible)

I have noticed though, especially in longhaired kittens that are gray (atleast the ones I've been around) they tend to act "slower" than their siblings, they've always turned out like normal cats, ofcourse.

but at any rate, your baby looks perfectly normal