Kitten Will Not Poop In Litter Box

Phil74501

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a relatively new kitten. It's about 4 months old. It will pee in the litter box, but it will not go #2 in the litter box. I've tried changing litter, didn't help. I tried moving it's food to the places it poops at, that didn't help. I've tried taking it and putting it into the litter box, that didn't help. It's obviously using the litter box, otherwise it would be peeing on the floor, which it isn't. I'm almost at my wits end with this thing. And ideas what to do?

I do have an older cat and another kitten that is the same age, and from the same batch as the other kitten. Neither of them have a problem.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: How many litter boxes do you have? Some cats are quirky and don't want to pee and poop in the same litter box, or in one that has already been used.

Has the kitten ever pooped in the litter box? Did it ever have constipation or any other reason that it might associate the litter box with pain?

When it poops on the floor, try picking it up with a tissue and putting it in the litter box and showing it to the kitten, so it knows when poop goes.

Here's a TCS article with more tips on How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Phil74501

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two litter boxes. It has never gone in the litter box that I know of, no constipation or anything like that. I've tried the putting it in the box and showing it to the kitten, that didn't work.

One thing I forgot to mention. The kittens were outsiders until a few weeks ago. They got a URI and I had to keep them inside to make sure I could medicate them regularly.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since they are probably used to leaving their waste in soil and/or leaves and grass, try putting some unfertilized potting soil on top of the litter. That has worked for people trying to get feral cats to use the litter box.

You could also try Cat Attract Litter.
Cat Attract™ Litter - Dr. Elsey's

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Phil74501

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Problem, apparently, solved. I was using some corn cob litter I found at the store. I changed out one of the boxes to the old style clay stuff. That seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for the help.