kitten will not feed off mom or bottle.... help

nervais919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my cat just had her third litter of kitten in last year and a half. she did just fine with the first two litters, but this last litter has been hard. She had a litter of three, about 8 days after one of the kittens passed away. I am not sure if it was health or if the momma laid on the kitten and suffocated the baby. Momma lays on her babies all the time, i find myself waking up from the kitten meowing very loud and momma is laying on them, so I have to move them, so she don't suffocate them. Now I have one very plum kitten doing very well, and the other is tiny. Momma is feeding but the tiny kitten shows no interest in feeding. You can put her face on the nipple, but she doesn't even try to eat. I than got formula and a syringe. You can feed it to the tiny kitten, and she licks it up; makes you think she is eating but it's like she is just filling her mouth up with formula and not swallowing because next thing you know she spits it's all back up. it's not like she is vomiting, it is more like she fills her cheeks and when they get full, she lets it all drool out her mouth. I do not know what to do, any help would be grateful. thanks

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
3 litters of kittens is a lot for any mother to care for in just 18 months,. Reputable breeders only let their queens have kittens once in 18 months. Having so many litters isn't good for her health at all and this could be why you're loosing kittens this time.

Please consider getting her spayed soon, this will be much better for her health and will probably save her life.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks – TheCatSite Articles

Can you look inside the kitten's mouth to make sure everything is OK? Some times kittens are born with cleft palates, which makes it difficult for them to feed.

It sounds like the kitten needs to be seen by a vet. Can you take her to a vet today?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to give just a few drops at a time; so she has the time to swallow...
you can also put some glucose sugar / droplet of white caro syrup on the gum, inside the lip; it gives some energhy making her able to swallow...

It MAY be cleft palate, but if so, she should be able to eat through the syringe...

N nervais919

Ps. Be sure you are giving very nourishing and calcium rich food to momma... She has no reserves at all now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nervais919

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update, yesterday the vets were closed when she took a turn for the worst, the plan was to bring her to the vet today but sadly she passed away at 1:10am. we tried dropper, and everyone took turns staying up with her all night but even with that she did not make it. The momma is getting spayed, but she keeps getting Prego before she gets done nursing her kittens and then the cycle starts again. Right now, she is not aloud outside cuz her and I cannot keep doing this. I wish I had better news to give. Thanks for the input though.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear the little one didn't make it.

Mother cats can still nurse their kittens even after being spayed. The surgery doesn't affect their milk yield and you can ask the vet to do a flank spay so she won't be sore around her stomach. Make an appointment now to get her fixed in about a month's time. The kitten will be starting to eat solid food by then, so it won't be so hard on the mother