Kitten will not eat regular food

wendy8080

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three kittens that are 6 1/2 weeks old and all seem to be healthy, playful and happy.  I have been offering kitten food and water throughout the day and treating them with kitten milk at night (finishing off a can).  Mama is still nursing.  Weights are still going up, although some just a bit from day to day.  They play hard, sleep deep and then it all repeats.  The first two that were born eat what is offered.  However the youngest one who was actually born only a few minutes later, will eat nothing that is offered.  In fact, he will shy away from it.  I have even dipped my finger in the milk and rubbed it on his lips to no avail.  He is energetic and playful with Mama, siblings and our family.  His weight is down 6 grams tonight, but I suspect that it will pop up again tomorrow.  My question is this....  Is this normal?  Will Mama teach him?  Is he just a slow learner?  I had planed to take all of them to the vet on the 7th week to have Mama fixed and babies looked over, but I feel like I can't do this if the little guy (Edmond), has learn to eat on his own.  Also, his new home is waiting for his arrival, but I can't let them have him if he can't eat by himself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Wendy

Oh, the weights are as follows....  1st born is 1038 grams, 2nd born is 840 grams and the 3rd is 919 grams.  Hope this helps.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's entirely possible that he is just a little slow in grasping the concept. As they get older Mom will start nursing less and less in an effort to force them to start eating more on their own. At this point I would just keep doing what you are doing by putting the food out and giving him the chance to explore it. Hopefully you are giving canned wet food in addition to dry food, water, and kitten milk (if you aren't then go get some). Dabbing a little wet food on his mouth and paws is a good idea (he may just not like the kitten milk) and he will lick off the wet food in order to keep himself clean. It may pique his interest some. 

It's a good idea to take them all in at the 7 week mark to have them looked over and get everyone de-wormed. However, it's a little early to have Mom spayed. Kittens do best when they stay with Mom for 12 weeks (though letting them go at 10 if you have to is usually okay). Not only will they continue to nurse on and off but Mom teaches them the valuable life skills that they need to know. This includes proper litterbox habits, how to self groom, and how to hunt/play. If taken too early many kittens struggle to fully grasp these concepts, and many develop behavioral problems because of it (such as suckling on blankets, each other, or even you). 

So, keep watching him and keep their appointment. If nothing else that will be a great time to ask the vet what you can do to help the last little guy along. It's wonderful that he has a home lined up but I would keep sending them pictures and updates and ask them to come visit him at your home before you let him go closer to 12 weeks. Any good new pet parent wants the best for their new family member, and staying with Mom a little longer is definitely in their best interest. Also, I would have each kitten dewormed, vaccinated, and altered before letting them go. Again, good pet parents will be more than willing to reimburse the vet costs. This is the only way to ensure that it happens, and it's best to do it all while they are young! Talk to your vet about setting up their deworming/vaccination schedule, and have Mom spayed when you do the kittens (must be at least 8 weeks and 2 pounds). 

Good luck and hopefully he catches on quick! 

Last edited:

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to try him on some raw meat.  We brought our kitten home a few weeks ago... He was older - 14 weeks, but they sent some of his Dry they'd been feeding him, home with me.  Feeding went kind of like... What the heck is that yucky stuff?  I opened a can of wet, and he ate like he'd never eaten before.  The next day I gave him raw and he thought he was in heaven.  The Dry went in the trash.  Anytime I open the fridge, he knows where I keep his dethawing portion for the day, and he in there rooting for it.  You can get sample packs of the premade ground that is great for undeveloped jaw muscles.  We started with that, but quickly moved to frankenfood meals with bones and organs.