Kitten weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman9682

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone.
I've recently signed up but I have looked at other threads for advice in the past.
Brief history. I took in a ginger tabby female (we've called her Winnie) who was dumped on the street on boxing day, found out she was about 6 months old and after a couple of days noticed her belly getting bigger and nipples pinking up. We took her to the vets for a general health check up, injections and book neutering but found out she was pregnant. Fast forward to 29th January and she gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens (3 ginger tabby, 1 black tortoiseshell and 1 grey tortoiseshell), first coming out at 7:25pm and the last coming at 8:50pm . Pregnancy went well and very quickly actually. Winnie took care of everything. Tore the cords, ate each placenta, cleaned herself and all kittens. Began feeding straight away.
Winnie takes a couple of breaks each day from her kittens, no longer than 1 hour, and is straight back in for snuggles and feeding.
I have been weighing my kittens daily and on tonight's weigh in (day 4), one of the kittens has lost 4grams (154g to 150g). Is this something to be concerned about? This is the first time I've dealt with newborn kittens. I have experience with cats in general (have 3 others before Winnie came in) but never kittens this small.

Everytime I google about small weight loss, it keeps coming up about fading kittens syndrome and its scaring the life out of me.
I have a camera set up in the room they are kept in and keep a frequent eye on them. Brooking (the cat who lost 4g today) is one of the gingers and I haven't noticed any of the gingers fighting for a place at meal time, it's always the black and grey kittens.

My cats weight are as follows:
BOWEN
Day 1: 92g
Day 2: 144g
Day 3: 156g
Day 4: 176g

CLARET
Day 1: 88g
Day 2: 141g
Day 3: 146g
Day 4: 158g

BLUE
Day 1: 100g
Day 3: 155g
Day 4: 175g

BONDS
Day 1: 102g
Day 2: 146g
Day 3: 150g
Day 4: 167g

BROOKING
Day 1: 109g
Day 3: 154g
Day 4: 150g

Also, while I'm here, when should the umbilical cords fall off. I've noticed a couple of the kittens still have the cord attached.

Any help will be greatly appreciated for this new kitten grandad 💙

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I notice a big jump in weight day 2 for all of them. So there is probably some measuring fault. My guess is they went up about 10-12 grammes, and the rest is fault. Ie, now day 4 they all have these 30 grammes too much. Which by itself is no problem, as long the fault is consistent.
but if you must count on some exact dosage, remember they are 30 grammes less.

To your question: its common they may stand still or even lose some one day or two, as long they seem healthy no visible troubles. But of course, begin to get gears to handfeed. Goats milk, preferably raw goats milk (this may be pricey but has some potential health advantages) and or some good kmr, alike PetAg KMR in powder.. Avoid Hartz.
Kittens whom have momma are often relutctant to bottle, so a handfeed syringe + a mini miracle nipple. Train some on a doll, because its a little tricky.

Also, make sure baby isnt disturbed by the other siblings: they are often fighting for it... IF you think baby is disturbed, try to give her alone time with momma, or perhaps in pair with another, friendly kitten.

Please keep us informed!

Roman9682 Roman9682

So, one day isnt worrying, but if it continues day 2, plan on beginning at least day 3. Also, start to take weight on her every 12 hours now.

ps. Why Im not recommending with starting supplementing a least day 2? Because it is somewhat tricky, and its somewhat risky if you arent experienced... Also, kitten has a good birth weight, so there are some margings. but yeah, do be watchful; and prepare.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roman9682

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I notice a big jump in weight day 2 for all of them. So there is probably some measuring fault. My guess is they went up about 10-12 grammes, and the rest is fault. Ie, now day 4 they all have these 30 grammes too much. Which by itself is no problem, as long the fault is consistent.
but if you must count on some exact dosage, remember they are 30 grammes less.

To your question: its common they may stand still or even lose some one day or two, as long they seem healthy no visible troubles. But of course, begin to get gears to handfeed. Goats milk, preferably raw goats milk (this may be pricey but has some potential health advantages) and or some good kmr, alike PetAg KMR in powder.. Avoid Hartz.
Kittens whom have momma are often relutctant to bottle, so a handfeed syringe + a mini miracle nipple. Train some on a doll, because its a little tricky.

Also, make sure baby isnt disturbed by the other siblings: they are often fighting for it... IF you think baby is disturbed, try to give her alone time with momma, or perhaps in pair with another, friendly kitten.

Please keep us informed!

Roman9682 Roman9682
Thank you! I think day 1 is a fault, I realised after, the scales were on the carpet which isn't a stable flat surface but all other weigh ins have been on a flat surface! So I believe they were bigger on day 1 than I originally thought.
I've had formula ready just in case I need to hand feed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So they must have been born really big! :)

Roman9682

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Brooking has gone down to 146g. So that's 154g to 150g, now 146g. I bought recommended syringe and bottle from Pets at Home which is a big chain in the UK and they were useless! Everything is so stiff. You squeeze a little, nothing happens, squeeze a little bit more and it shoots out. Not safe at all!

Kitten is moving around normal, vocal and latches on. I have noticed the bigger ones are pushing Brooking out the way easily and by the time a nipple is free, Brooking seems to tired from all the fighting.

I will be getting better syringes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So Brooking has gone down to 146g. So that's 154g to 150g, now 146g. I bought recommended syringe and bottle from Pets at Home which is a big chain in the UK and they were useless! Everything is so stiff. You squeeze a little, nothing happens, squeeze a little bit more and it shoots out. Not safe at all!

Kitten is moving around normal, vocal and latches on. I have noticed the bigger ones are pushing Brooking out the way easily and by the time a nipple is free, Brooking seems to tired from all the fighting.

I will be getting better syringes.
Let Brooking eat alone!!! Its important!

And continue to try to find a better nipper... miracle nipper / mini miracle nipper is a brand many do like.... You can also try with a common dropper, its easier than with an unsuitable syringe.

Some had also tried with a little sponge, of make up type... Drench the sponge with kmr / goats milk, and let kitten suckle. It works for some.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Make sure the kitten losing weight gets alone time to nurse with mom. Otherwise, they are very healthy and all weigh as much as or more than they should weigh at one week old. As long as the losses are not consistent, the kitten should be fine.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Goals:

Goals are 8 ounces (226 grams) at 2 weeks; 12 ounces (340 grams) at 3 weeks; and one pound (453grams) at 4 weeks — then about a pound a month thereafter until grown.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Important for them to gain weight now. If they are gaining slower I’d not worry much but losing is a big concern. Try give it extra feeding time & KMR. Mine refused to eat from the bottle, but they all accepted nasal aspirator (not made for the purpose but it’s easy to suck and soft small rubber ends.

If you can, maybe try to give it a gentle physical check? One of mine was the slow weight gainer and it turns out she has funnel chest. I hope yours are all well and start to grow fast soon.

IMG_4980.jpeg

Roman9682

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Unfortunately, Brooking passer away the early hours of this morning in my wife's arms. The vets said he had a heart defect so unfortunately, he was never going to make it.

We called the vets numerous times for advice and it was the same you all gave me. We decided to take him in last night and they said it doesn't look good but keep with the bottle feeding and if he doesn't gain weight in 48 hours, unfortunately he would have to be put to sleep but he didn't make it through the night.

Thank you all for looking out for all the little ones.

RIP Little Brooking.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Important for them to gain weight now. If they are gaining slower I’d not worry much but losing is a big concern. Try give it extra feeding time & KMR. Mine refused to eat from the bottle, but they all accepted nasal aspirator (not made for the purpose but it’s easy to suck and soft small rubber ends.

If you can, maybe try to give it a gentle physical check? One of mine was the slow weight gainer and it turns out she has funnel chest. I hope yours are all well and start to grow fast soon.

View attachment 469654
Tx for the tip. You do mean to use it as a dropper into the mouth, NOT into the nose? Ps similiar are use for cleaning of ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.