kitten want milk from a spayed cat

mkatjp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a spayed cat (15 months) and two kittens (3 months). The older cat "talks" to them and cares for them like a mother cat.
However, the two kittens always try to get milk from the spayed cat. She accepts this behavior. But of course, the kittens don't get milk.
Is that OK or problematic? Shall I simply wait until they are older and they realize there is no milk?

What would you recommend?

CatNaps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a litter of 3 week old kittens when I found their mother ran over on the road. We had a 2 yr old fixed Tomcat at the time. He was great with them. Kept them warm and bathed them. Didn't know tomcats had nipples until the kittens found them. Lol. Called our vet at the time. Now this was 20 years ago things could have changed, but the vet said not to worry it wouldn't hurt anyone.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't hurt, they use 'nursing' as a form of comfort. Just keep an eye out to make sure the nipples, or skin is not getting irritated. Older doesn't seem to help much, i have had year old cats keep trying to nurse. 'Mama', no matter who it is, dog, female, male, etc. will eventually 'wean' them when they tire of it and by instinct. so don't be surprised if eventually 'mama' starts hissing and swatting at them.

Ruby3440

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like Di and Bob said the mom will eventually get tired of it, but it could be months in my experience. We had a mom and her 2 boys that would nurse on her every day even though she ran out of milk, and she would just role over and let them. By the time they were about 4-5 months old they were almost as big as her (she was a small cat and they were big boys) and she was still completely fine with it. That was last year and now everyone is in their forever homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkatjp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your advice. I appreciate. It seems now that they have understood that there is no milk.
Just to show you: the first picture is the real mama-cat with her five kittens. The second picture is the ersatz-Mama-cat with two of the five. Btw., the ersatz Mama is also from the same Mama-cat - just one year difference.

kittens.jpg

kittens 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: