Kitten walking funny

Kirsty138

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few weeks ago we rescued a little kitten from the road. The vet said she was in good health but had a belly full of worms which is now completely treated.
tonight she came running into the room sideways , Hissing, spitting and growling and hid behind the couch. I also think she expressed her anal glands as there was a huge whiff of fish and some liquid coming from her anus. When we managed to get her out she was walking funny, shes Walking on her feet instead of her toes and a little wobbly. She’s eating and I’ve helped clean her up from the smell but she is a bit quiet to her usual self and is still walking on her feet. Anyone any idea what it could be? She is around 9 weeks old.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! At first, I was going to say that young kittens will do a funny sideways jump, but this is beyond just playing. Did something happen that caused her to run into the room hissing and hiding? Another animal, a person, vehicle that scared her? A cat can express her own glands if she is very frightened; however, I am not ruling out something else going on that might be medical in nature.

If her feet are being used to walk, meaning this is plantigrade walking, although some refer to it as walking on hocks, there could be a medical reason although at her young age, she should not be diabetic. There are neuropathies which can cause it, usually visible more in the back legs. Depending what happened that caused the extreme frightened reaction, it could be an injury. She is very young to be facing any illnesses, so I would call the vet and also investigate the source of whatever happened if you don't already know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kirsty138

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea what caused it. My children were in the room with me and the other cat was also in the room with us. She can’t jump properly so she hasn’t got up high anywhere and fallen down I’m really confused as to what has happened.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would call the vet, ask if you can send a picture or speak to someone for advice. The young age concerns me. I have had elderly diabetic cats who eventually went plantigrade, but there was a reason and also extreme old age.