Kitten waking me up at night

daysable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am having an issue with my kitten. He is about 5 months old and at night he wakes me up a few times (every few hours)…sometimes its just him meowing at me or walking up to me and rubbing his face all over mine (he is very loving)…or he wakes me up by playing all over the bed (i.e attacking my feet, playing with the sheets, or running all over the place on the bed). Does anyone have any ideas on how to calm him down at night? I feel like maybe he is bored in the middle of the night when Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sleeping. I have tried to play with him prior to bedtime so he gets rid of some of that kitten energy, but it hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t been helping lately. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep him peaceful at night?

I live in a studio apartment, so putting him in another room isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t a possible solution. I would put him in the bathroom/dressing room but he does not stop meowing when I do this (and I feel like itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cruel/sad, since obviously he doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like it).

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!
Help a pet owner in need of sleep!!

Thanks.

felinemama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by daysable

Hello,

I am having an issue with my kitten. He is about 5 months old and at night he wakes me up a few times (every few hours)…sometimes its just him meowing at me or walking up to me and rubbing his face all over mine (he is very loving)…or he wakes me up by playing all over the bed (i.e attacking my feet, playing with the sheets, or running all over the place on the bed). Does anyone have any ideas on how to calm him down at night? I feel like maybe he is bored in the middle of the night when Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sleeping. I have tried to play with him prior to bedtime so he gets rid of some of that kitten energy, but it hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t been helping lately. Does anyone have any suggestions to keep him peaceful at night?

I live in a studio apartment, so putting him in another room isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t a possible solution. I would put him in the bathroom/dressing room but he does not stop meowing when I do this (and I feel like itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cruel/sad, since obviously he

doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like it).

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!
Help a pet owner in need of sleep!!

Thanks.
How long have you had the kitten? If you are new to each other, he is going thru a stage that hopefully will pass. He needs to settle in and develop a routine. Also, is he active during the day? If he's alone all day, he's looking to play and get love and attention , then, at night.

jenny1978

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alot of it is just him being a kitten
Cats are sometimes quite active at night. My Monty does this but he is only 9 weeks old and still falls alseep where he lands sometimes

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually this goes away as the kitten ages. If he hasn't been, it's time to get him neutered, and that seems to help.

Also, don't feed him as soon as you get up or anytime in the night that he wakes you up. That will take away that motivation.

Then, play with him vigorously before you go to bed. That should help tire him out for a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daysable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys for your advice!
He is in fact already neutered (he was at 3 months)....this is when I adopted him (at 3 months of age).
And he is alone for most of the day sometimes (when I'm working). But he has lots of toys, and I also bought him an interactive toy that I can set a timer on to play with him for 15 minute intervals. But maybe he is bored with that?

I figured this was just a "kitten thing". I guess I just need to reaaally wear him out before bed time. I can't believe his energy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daysable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

You could always get a second kitten.
Hahaha, wish I could. But I think my place is way to small for another kitty
He'll have to wait for a playmate.