Kitten wakes me up in the morning.

kismet7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my kitten Rusty 2 months ago, he's about 4 months now and has been neutered, got his shots and been dewormed/deflead a month ago.  Ever since I got him he wakes me up early in the morning.  I searched google and found that they need to eat 4 times a day and wake you up in the morning 'cause they're hungry.   I also found that to make them sleep longer you should play with them vigorously right before bed time then feed them so they'll go to sleep right away.  All of which I've been doing and I also leave food on his bowl so that when he wakes up in the morning it will be accessible to him and he won't wake me up.

The problem is that I work late until midnight, then get home and have a hard time falling asleep so much so that sometimes I'll go to sleep at 4 or 5 in the morning.  Kitty usually stays up with me that late, I even let him out in the yard for an hour or two which he likes a lot (I live in a small apartment complex and he's microchipped).  We finally fall asleep between 3 and 5 in the morning but not matter what he still wakes me up!  He'll climb on the bed and start whining and pawing at my face or shoulder.  I cover my face with sheets and turn away and he goes to the other side and does the same.  Sometimes it works but others he just keeps jumping on me till I get up and go check his food bowl to see if he's eaten and it's always empty.  Once I get up he usually relaxes and starts napping! LOL why does he wake me up just to go to sleep?  

Yesterday he woke me up really early at 8 am ( I only got 3 hours of sleep) so around noon I was drowsy again and laid down to take a nap (kitty was napping as well) and as soon as he saw I was laying down he got up, climbed on the bed and started meowing, rubbing himself on me to get some attention.  I petted him and he relaxed for a while then went back to napping at his favorite spot by the window.

What can I do to get at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep without him waking me up.  I live in a studio apartment so I can't put him in a room of his own.  A couple of days I put him in the bathroom as soon as he woke me up but he started meowing really loudly and the next door neighbor came to "complain/investigate"  I got the feeling he thought I was abusing the cat 'cause I put him in the bathroom. 

Any tips, ideas?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is soooo common with kittens and he's training you pretty well.
You are doing everything right, but you are going to have to get strong and ignore him when he does this. He's doing it cause it works, it gets you up. It may take a bit of time to now break him of waking you, but being consistent is the only way. 

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with my Fletcher, and I just bought an automatic feeder that I'm going to program so that he'll get some breakfast at around 4-5 am. HOPEFULLY it will work, I'll keep you posted!

mini lowen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! We have an elderly cat who wakes me up in the middle of the night to eat. I've solved this problem by putting a Tupperware of his favourite food on my bedside table. When he wakes me, I just roll over, open the top, and place it on the floor by my bed. I go back to sleep, he eats it and also goes back to sleep. It's gotten so routine that some mornings I wake up and wonder why Lenny didnt wake me in the night. Then I look down and see the empty bowl! Apparently I sleep feed now! I know some people say to ignore them, but I feel badly that he's hungry and I can help.

peter416p

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat wakes me up at 5 AM for "our" morning routine of synchronized bathroom break and breakfast before "we" return to bed. The same goes for the afternoon nap and bedtime. We've lived together for just over 10 years and I'm retired so we know one another fairly well. Give it time. Your kitten will learn your routine as much as you'll learn his. PS: Monsieur even calls me to clean his litter box after he goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kismet7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your comments!  I feed him before we go to bed and I leave food out for him to eat in the morning when he wakes up which he does eat but he still wakes me up AFTER he's eaten.  I guess he wants someone to keep him company.  I'll keep covering my face with the sheet and not getting up when he wakes me and I'll let you know if it works.  He can get plenty of company/play after I've had my beauty rest!