Kitten w/ Severe Allergies!

evboobear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 11 month-old Kitten, Halo, has allergy flareups. She gets mosquito-like bumps on her neck that crust over and turn into sores.

Halo has been to my primary Vet (basic care) for repeated oral antibiotics, antibiotic injections, & steriod (Vetalog) injections to try and manage the problem. I took the advice given to me about starting her on a grain-free diet & giving her benadryl twice daily.

After her last steroid shot, she appeared to be cured for about two weeks. She was also eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness at the time (she spit out everything else) w/ Wellness Indulgence pouches and her sores cleared up nicely. Her hair was even growing back.

Last week I took her in to see another Vet (full-care) for a second opinion. She had a very minor flare-up so she seemed OK. He basically told me the same thing that she is reacting to something and when I asked about doing blood work, biopsies, and allergy testing ect..he didn't recommend it. He said he has had owners do up to $1500 worth of testing and 99% of the time it all comes back negative. He said dealing with allergies was tricky & it was mainly trial & error. He did mention that it was unusual for her to have bumps on her neck so he did a skin scraping that came back (-). He said to keep doing what we were doing at home & bring her back if she gets worse for a Depo-Medrol injection and he will waive the OV fee.

I had to make an appt for the Depo injection for Thurs because she just had a horrible flare up yesterday. What really concerns me is the large swollen bumps & sores are now on her face (close to the eyes). She is currently eating Solid Gold Indigo Moon (for a week now) with Wellness & By Nature wet pouches, and Wellness treats. ALL grain-free. She is getting an antiobiotic ointment applied to her sores once daily and benadryl 2x daily.

I don't know what else to do! I am so afraid the sores are going to surface in her eyes or eye lids. She is not even a year old yet and this will be her 5th steroid injection by Thurs! I have to fight back tears when I look at her because she looks like I'm neglecting her. Here is a list of things that I use or do, if ya'll have suggestions on doing or using something else, please let me know-->

1. I feed primarily Chicken based foods, both Dry & Wet
2. I use Tidy Cats Small Spaces Clumping Litter
3. I use all Hooded Litterboxes
4. I use all stainless steel Food Bowls
5. I wash Food Bowls 2x weekly after I supplement with Wet food
6. I wash all Pet beds & Vacuum cat trees weekly or biweekly
7. Halo & her sister, Angel, play rough..lots of biting & scratching
8. I use a Drinkwell & a Hagit fountains w/ bottled water--no tap
9. In the last 6 months, I have maybe bathed her twice, once in baby shampoo and the other with a Petco anti-itch shampoo
10. She has a cotton collar w/ 3 tags (2 aluminum, 1 plastic)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. I feed primarily Chicken based foods, both Dry & Wet
Is the Only meat chicken in all foods? read the labels do they have fish , turkey , beef

2. I use Tidy Cats Small Spaces Clumping Litter
Some cats have litter allergies have you used a different litter at all with her

3. I use all Hooded Litterboxes
Hooded keep the smell and any extra bacteria in alot more than a open box

4. I use all stainless steel Food Bowls
What other types have you used

5. I wash Food Bowls 2x weekly after I supplement with Wet food
Wash them at least once a day, wet food IMHO should be a daily event

6. I wash all Pet beds & Vacuum cat trees weekly or biweekly
type of bedding and how often is the bag changed?

7. Halo & her sister, Angel, play rough..lots of biting & scratching
Cat to cat allergies are Rare but do happen

8. I use a Drinkwell & a Hagit fountains w/ bottled water--no tap
Plastic is a Huge allergen

9. In the last 6 months, I have maybe bathed her twice, once in baby shampoo and the other with a Petco anti-itch shampoo
Only use a Vet Rx shampoo for something like this

10. She has a cotton collar w/ 3 tags (2 aluminum, 1 plastic)
Possible plastic allergy again