Kitten W/ Allergies. Question About Elimination Diet.

Athenaglaukopis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Wonderfull people.

I have a kitten that is allergic to something in her food.
we c hanged the food to wysong anergen (lamb protein) and we have been seeing some improvement, even though it has been only 2 weeks her itching has decreased and stool is becoming firmer. but I have 2 questions.
1- I know that during the trial she should only consume her new protein and water. how ever, does this leave out the possibility of an hypoallergenic cat treat too (prescription grade)? I've been looking on info about that but I a bit confused.

2- once the 6-8 week are done, all info I find says to start introducing one ingredient at a time. so my question here is: should I continue to give her her lamb diet and add some of the other food? or should I switch it entirely? and when they say one ingredient, do you guys recommend trying the possible allergen ingredient in its natural form, like giving her actual chicken, or actual fish instead of dry or wet food that contains chicken or fish?

any help or direction would be very much appreciated. thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't necessarily have answers for your specific questions although regarding the treat, you need to check its ingredients just as thoroughly as the other items.

Either in cat food or chicken from your fridge, it's the same. Be sure you keep feeding nutritionally complete foods during this time, and also keep in mind the sensitivity trigger could be something other than a protein.

The database linked in this post might help;
Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The treats should ideally be the same protein as the main food, which in your case is lamb. A 100% lamb treat would be best to give. Try these:

Lamb Healthy Bites | K9 Natural
Meat Mates Meow Treats - Meat Mates
ORIJEN Grass-Fed Lamb Cat Treats
PureBites® Freeze Dried New Zealand Lamb Liver Treats | Dogs Treats | Purebites.com (yes, they're for dogs but no reason at all a cat can't have it as well. Just break into smaller pieces)
Sojos Simply Lamb Dog Treats | Sojos
Freeze Dried Treats | Northwest Naturals

2- once the 6-8 week are done, all info I find says to start introducing one ingredient at a time. so my question here is: should I continue to give her her lamb diet and add some of the other food? or should I switch it entirely? and when they say one ingredient, do you guys recommend trying the possible allergen ingredient in its natural form, like giving her actual chicken, or actual fish instead of dry or wet food that contains chicken or fish?

It's more like 13 weeks for a food trial, sometimes longer.

Continue the lamb diet and add one possible allergen. It doesn't matter if it's cat food or people food. If you get a reaction (should be fairly immediate but may take a few meals), then you know what your cat is allergic to. You have to test each possible allergen one at a time.

Protein isn't the only thing that can cause allergies. Ingredients like gums and starches, certain oils, veggies, eggs, mystery unspecified by-products, etc can cause reactions in sensitive cats.