Kitten vs Puppy

spywell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a couple kittens a few months ago when their mother decided to stop feeding them. We bottle fed them and now they are maybe 5 months old siamese kittens. They grew up with our dog and they all get along fine, but the wife is considering a puppy so when she got the chance to baby sit her bosses new puppy she jumped at the chance. I thought we would have trouble with the dog accepting the new pup but it seems everyone is getting along completely fine except my female siamese kitten.

The puppy is a shiba inu and is very timid and the same size as the kittens. My kitten Luna, though is definitely a siamese, she is not scared of the puppy but constantly growls and hisses at the puppy and stands her ground. What concerned me is that she walked all the way up to the puppy and attacked her. I whipped her good regardless what you think I wasn't going to have animals fighting. Now the puppy is really scared of Luna and Luna seems to have gotten her way since she can easily outsmart and corral the puppy into the corner and just lay there keeping her pinned in the corner.

The puppy will be here for two more days, any chance of making friends out of this scenario and also the wife plans on getting a puppy of her own in two weeks. Seeing that we will probably only have trouble with Luna is there any steps to introducing Luna and a new puppy, and I believe the new puppy is a very high energy one.

Thanks in advance!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spywell

Now the puppy is really scared of Luna and Luna seems to have gotten her way since she can easily outsmart and corral the puppy into the corner and just lay there keeping her pinned in the corner.
And when you see this (the pup pinned in the corner), what do you do? Or dare I ask?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spywell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

And when you see this (the pup pinned in the corner), what do you do? Or dare I ask?
I pick Luna up and take her into the other room and let her go. She follows that pup around and pins it into rooms, corners and stands in the doorway intimidating the pup from coming back inside.

Simple answer though, I move Luna.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Normally when introducing dogs and cats it is that cat who needs protection and safety. When it is the dog who need protection the situation is treated like a cat to cat introduction.

Instead of repeating the lengthy steps to that I recommend you look on the internet for the many many articles on cat to cat introductions. Patience is critical to the process.

I doubt that you can resolve this scenario in two days. In fact each time that Luna wins out over this pup it is re-inforcing the fact that aggression works for her. When you "whipped her good" that made her associate the fact that bad things happen when a pup is around.

Since this is two day situation I recommend keeping the pup and Luna physically separated.

Before you get your very own pup you will have time to research how to introduce them properly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spywell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat Traufield

Normally when introducing dogs and cats it is that cat who needs protection and safety. When it is the dog who need protection the situation is treated like a cat to cat introduction.

Instead of repeating the lengthy steps to that I recommend you look on the internet for the many many articles on cat to cat introductions. Patience is critical to the process.

I doubt that you can resolve this scenario in two days. In fact each time that Luna wins out over this pup it is re-inforcing the fact that aggression works for her. When you "whipped her good" that made her associate the fact that bad things happen when a pup is around.

Since this is two day situation I recommend keeping the pup and Luna physically separated.

Before you get your very own pup you will have time to research how to introduce them properly.
Yea I followed my research after posting this, and I think kenneling the pup would have been a good idea to start out with.

I have tried some of the steps like swapping and then combining scents and although Luna was interested in the scents she didnt make any clear body signals. I also tried kenneling all over again and she wants nothing to do with that pup.

It's surprising that the three other animals (1 husky, 1 male cat and 1 female cat) all get along very well and they are playing with the puppy fluently now. Luna on the other hand has been portraying jealousy and not very sociable unless the puppy is kenneled or outside.

You may be right about wipping her but in my defense it happened so quickly combined with the fact that it's someone elses puppy and that Luna has very sharp claws easily capable of drawing blood. It was simply the quickest most effective action that came to mind. Also, I dont want this to be a topic of argument since there are a dozen ways to punish a cat and many people can be quite adamant to express their views.

Hopefully the standard steps work, the new pup she wants is one of those super high energy mostly retarded eccentric occasionaly annoying lap dogs that are all the rage now. Any new tips would be very welcomed.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spywell,

We all make mistakes. Before I was a professional pet person - with my 1st cats and dogs I made every mistake known to man. This motivated me to learn better which eventually got me to here.

For the rest of the visiting pup is there - when pup is out make sure that Luna is behind a firmly closed door. That way she does not get to practice and practice pinning and cornering the pup.

Study cat to cat introductions before your get your own pup. That way you can be ready when pup comes home. You will need a sanctuary room - I recommend that Luna goes into sanctuary instead of new pup. So that room will need a nice window, litter box, food/water and toys etc. Luna clearly needs the physical barrier of the door.

I have two cats (the ones picture in my website). One is super sane and one is a bit nuts. The red cats adjusts to changes in minutes/hours/day and the grey cat often takes 3 months to adjust to a new pet. He also attacks/pins dogs too.