Kitten Vs Established Cat...help!

Nikkinik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I adopted my cat (Ginger) when she was 8 weeks old back in November 2017... so she is almost a year old. She is fixed.
She lives in her kitty liter box, I have to put it outside for her when she goes outside, she is always in it. (There’s a point to this lol)
I have a dog who she has always gotten along with, she plays with neighborhood cats. She has a friend who meets her at the drive way and walks her home!!!! She is the sweetest cat and is so good, patient, and sweet to my 4 year old!
I am pregnant so she’s super loving to me... she LOVES going in the nursery!
But because of my pregnancy I was sucked into getting this baby kitten that was dodging its way through traffic one morning!!
I was very unprepared for this new kitten, so I had just the one box I had to take away from Ginger to potty train this baby.
The moment she laid eyes on the kitten she lost it, she was so upset and furious at me.
So I’m bribing her with steak and loves, nothing she was mad. She didn’t deny the steak or loves she was just not the same.
She wasn’t mean to me she was just distant.
Kitten is liter trained BTW! It only took her a day and 3 towels!!!
So we went tonight to get a new box for Ginger, and Ginger was happy... she jumped up on the couch and gave me so much love!
Then the kitten came running out from under the couch and she lost it. We tried just giving her a minute because she was starring at the baby and then would growl and hunched like she wanted to pounce. I tried to give it a moment but I was scared. It’s not like her to be like this and it’s scary.
I held her for an hour after this just petting and loving on her. I had to get up and then when I went back to pick her up she went crazy she wants to attack me but is hesitant but she’s growling at me hissing and trying to slap me. I don’t know to fix this and I really need help and advice, I love my first baby but I can’t tolerate her being mean ... I have a 4 year old and a newborn on the way in 5 weeks or less!!! It will break my heart if I have to rehome her because of her attitude.
Please help me!!! I will try just about anything!!

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, where to begin.... you brought an "intruder" to the house. Naturally your cat is going to be alarmed. Usually there are methods to slow introductions, like keeping the new kitten separate and letting the resident cat get used to the fact that there is a new cat in the house.

I am not quite understanding the whole moving the litterbox outside thing... am I misreading something? That is rather unusual. If anything put a box outside AND a box inside. With 2 cats you should ultimately have 3 boxes, 1 per cat plus one. Better safe then sorry!

Is the new kitten tested for FIV/FeLV? I would NOT let them interact at all until it is. And your cat is vaccinated as well.

Lastly, it can take MONTHS for cats to get along. Keep them separate, exchange whatever they are laying on between each other so they get used to the smell of the other cat, and feed them on opposite sides of the door.

The way your cat is behaving is normal. Give it time. When they finally do interact, expect there to be growling, hissing, meowing, etc. This is how cats communicate and how they learn each others boundaries. As long as there is no bloodshed. Also if one cat is bullying the other to the point of the victim hiding all the time and not eating, etc. Let them be and let them work it out.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I totally agree with jen jen on all points here. The biggest thing to remember is that cat introductions take TIME, and lots of it. I brought in a pair of kittens last summer, and it's taken my girl a year to fully accept them; they're still not friends as such, just roommates who tolerate each other.

These articles explain the introduction process in more detail:-
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Do, PLEASE, get that kitten to a vet asap. She needs scanning for a microchip (it's always possible she's someone's escapee lost pet), a health check (including treatment as needed for fleas, worms and other parasites), and the vaccination process starting. If I'm bringing home a stray or semi feral kitty, my first stop (before I even get home) is the vet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thank you for rescuing the poor kitten. I'm certain you saved its life. But, as already posted, please take it to get vet checked to ensure it doesn't have any illness that could pass onto your resident cat.

Also, as already posted, cat introductions can take a while, so it's not unusual for the resident cat to be annoyed with a new cat who moves into their home.

Lastly, in your last paragraph, you mention re-homing her. Hopefully after a separation and re-introduction, the 2 cats will get along well enough, that the kitten will be able to stay.

As for Ginger, clearly by looking at the pictures, she loves your daughter, and your daughter loves her, so I know Ginger isn't going anywhere. :catlove:

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, and delivery. :mommy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nikkinik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn’t go in to detail about the kitten I didn’t know I should have. Y’all dont worry!!! Our vet goes by appointments the kitten goes on Thursday to have it’s shots, and check for everything! I know y’all think I’m crazy for waiting on this vet but this is why they are busy... THEY ARE THE ONLY VET THAT DOESNT COST AN ARM AND A LEG JUST TO TELL YOU YOUR CAT IS BLACK, AND THAT WILL ACTUALLY TAKE CARE OF YOUR ANIMAL! WHEN BEING FIXED THEY STICH ON THE INSIDE AND KEEP YOUR BABY OVER NIGHT WITH SOMEONE THERE TO MONITOR! OTHER VETS AROUND HERE JUST WANT YOUR MONEY AND DO HACK JOBS. THEY DO NOT CARE! We had a dog we took somewhere else bc they could do it sooner to be fixed she came home the same day and it didn’t slow her down, we couldn’t get her to lie still, her insides were falling out bc they stitched on the outside, we took her to our vet immediately and they were upset we went anywhere else and let that happen ... THE OTHER GOOD ONE WANTS $250 JUST FOR IT TO BE CHECKED AND A RABIES SHOT. AS I HAVE A BABY ON THE WAY I AM NOT PAYING THAT FOR IT TO BE DONE ASAP.
I have a baby due in 5 weeks or less and other babies in the house to think about...
we are also renting our home and in the process of buying it so we HAVE to have our animals up to date every year. So there’s that reassurance as well!!
This poor baby is MAYBE 6 weeks old and was dodging through traffic on a busy road with no houses around, I am sure it belonged to no one but will be checked for that as well!!

The kitty liter box.. Ginger practically lives in her box... we do not have a doggy door as I’m still debating because of opening my home to other critters like my moms. She has to keep hers closed or she’ll have cats, raccoons, and opossums in her house.
So when I let her out she’s at the door every 15 minutes meowing to come in eat, potty and run back out. She is worse than a child, she wants the door open so I know she would love a doggy door. When I leave for the day and she stays outside her food water and box goes on the porch until about a month ago. I guess the cat that meets her at the drive way and walks her home showed her that she can potty outside too.

I hope I cleared some of that up, even if you don’t agree about the vet thing... it’s all I can do for now.
If it doesn’t get any better by the time I have the baby, I will have to rehome the kitten. I won’t have time or the want to deal with it. Thank you everyone for the advice!!!!
And thank you Rubysmama!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets are by appointment only. Personally I don't like when the vet keeps pets overnight for spay or neuter because they usually don't have anyone who actually stays there with them all night, it is just to keep them quiet. I think it is too stressful though on the pet. I would rather have them home with me and confined to a crate, bedroom, bathroom, etc... Plus they usually use dissolvable stitches inside that you don't see, I mean they HAVE to, that's a given. The outer stitching is to close off the outer part of the skin. I would be alarmed if they DIDN'T do outside stitching. If the stitches came out it makes me think the pet wasn't wearing a cone after their surgery. Not just that they were too active.

I still don't understand how your cat "lives in her litterbox". If she is going that frequently that is ALARMING and I would get her to the vet to have her urine checked (and blood checked while youre at it) in case she has a UTI or something going on. That doesn't sound normal to me.

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You also didn't address the fact that you mixed 2 cats together in no time without proper introduction and are mentioning rehoming the kitten because your resident cat is upset. This kitten hasn't been to the vet yet (it seems) and you let it mingle with your cat, that's not a good idea, especially with kids and a new baby coming, that kitten probably, surely, has parasites. Could be carrying other diseases... If you aren't ready for all this additional responsibility, cost, and simply getting the kitten to the vet before bringing it into your home, then maybe rehoming the kitten now IS a good idea.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Specifically addressing the cat door, I am hesitant to allow a cat outside without them having the ability to come inside when needed. I also understand the need to have a way to keep pests out. Luckily there is a way.

Sureflap Pet Door. It works with your cats existing identification microchip and only allows your pets through it. Other animals cannot enter. There is also, a slightly smaller, dual scan door so you can control traffic both into and out of your house.

For yours cats safety I highly encourage you to look into these or other microchip pet doors.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat living in their litter box or huddling in their litter box is feeling extremely insecure. I would be working on giving her a room just for her, without the dog or new kitten allowed in there (letting her out of the room when she wants.) A baby gate may help. That way if she stops hiding in her litter box you have helped her. Plus it lets her have space to get used to the kitten.

I get waiting for the vet but I would have quarantined the kitten until after a visit from the vet. But now you know if it ever happens again. Besides wee kittens do less damage to one kitten proofed room.

Lots of cat trees and shelves can help both your cats feel more secure. A cat tree in the nursery so they can safely observe the new baby is said to help.

All things considered it sounds like everything is going as expected with cat introductions. My biggest concern would be my resident cat feeling insecure so they are staying in their litter box all the time. That sounds like a red flag issue to me. Given the current stress and the new baby stress that is coming, calming products sound like a great idea! Knowing how much of a (adorable) pain kittens can be and knowing how much stress a baby can add, I would not attempt both at the same time if I could avoid it. Rehoming the kitten might be ideal for both you & your cat.