Kitten vs cat fight, that's not normal, is it?

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Link to video:
New kitten is female, 2 - 3 month old, been less that 10 days since we adopted her, resident cat, female 1.5 years old, spayed.

Kitten has been playing fight with the cat but todays she seems more aggressive than usual, and her tail is all buffed,
I have been playing with her with wand toys for almost 30 minutes and she is still full of energy.

Worth a note: some work is being done in house, lots power tools sounds, could that be it?

Thanks

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are friends, terrific! No worries about the video, its great that your kitten is fearless enough to give as good (or better) as she gets with a 1.5 y.o.!

Back in the 90s when I didn't realize WWE was fake they had a scrawny acrobat of a wrestler named Tiger Mask that would just flip all over much bigger wrestlers. Over, under, hanging off of em, it was awesome to watch. Thats what I think of when I see one of these tiny kitten warriors out wrestling an adult. Of course, if the adult was full on it would be going different, but most adults have enough restraint to let the tiny Tiger Mask types shine!

Usually, with a 1.5. y.o., the worry is for the kitten, but it looks like you have a combination of a fearless little warrior princess with a 1.5. y.o. being a little more restrained than usual. Don't worry if he does manage to pin her a bit and make her squeal (even scream), gets in a play bite or whatnot, I guarranty that even if she screams and/or runs away, she'll be back in a few minutes acting like nothing happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those are friends, terrific! No worries about the video, its great that your kitten is fearless enough to give as good (or better) as she gets with a 1.5 y.o.!

Back in the 90s when I didn't realize WWE was fake they had a scrawny acrobat of a wrestler named Tiger Mask that would just flip all over much bigger wrestlers. Over, under, hanging off of em, it was awesome to watch. Thats what I think of when I see one of these tiny kitten warriors out wrestling an adult. Of course, if the adult was full on it would be going different, but most adults have enough restraint to let the tiny Tiger Mask types shine!

Usually, with a 1.5. y.o., the worry is for the kitten, but it looks like you have a combination of a fearless little warrior princess with a 1.5. y.o. being a little more restrained than usual. Don't worry if he does manage to pin her a bit and make her squeal (even scream), gets in a play bite or whatnot, I guarranty that even if she screams and/or runs away, she'll be back in a few minutes acting like nothing happened.
oh I hope you are right, I just remember reading that if ears are flattened and tails are puffed, that this is a sign they are not playing but actually fighting

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That definitely playtime on that video. I am really amazed to see the restraint on your older girl. Young kittens like that are so full of energy it is amazing. The little one is trying to look as ferocious as possible. Your older cat has to defend herself and can't help but play too. She is the manners teacher, the limit setter, so don't be surprised if she pins the kitten to the floor, growls, swats, and hisses. The kitten will scream, cry, and run away, that is normal. That is all normal. The way to tell if the kitten is getting really hurt is to watch what she does after she runs away. If she comes back for more and initiates more play, (after she composes herself and gets over her hurt feelings) all is OK. If she runs and hides when the older cat comes into the room, and avoids her at all costs, then she is getting hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The way to tell if the kitten is getting really hurt is to watch what she does after she runs away. If she comes back for more and initiates more play, (after she composes herself and gets over her hurt feelings) all is OK. If she runs and hides when the older cat comes into the room, and avoids her at all costs, then she is getting hurt.
Thank you, but actually I'm more afraid for my older cat 😅, i know my adult cat will not hurt the kitten, but i fear if the kitten is too rough or if my cat is stressed by her

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same goes for her, if she avoids the kitten, it is too much for her. Don't worry, she will discipline the kitten a lot more when she gets more comfortable. Kittens are a pain. She could assert herself a lot more if she wanted to. Meanwhile the kitten is keeping her from being bored, and eventually will be a friend and sister.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Strongly agree with the others. When your older girl lay down she was giving the kitten an invitation to “attack” and wrestle with her. If she didn’t want that to happen she would simply have walked or ran away.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The older cat did seem somewhat unsure for a 1.5 y.o., but still, I have faith that a 1.5 y.o. can cope, and will, as di and bob di and bob said, assert itself if truly bothered. Would be different if the adult was much older -- a kitten like this can be a real nightmare for a senior cat. Its only been 10 days - give it a bit of time and the 1.5 y.o. will get in its share of scary looking whumpings with kitten squeals and even screams. A kitten and 1.5 year old have something crazy high like a 90-95% chance of friendship, it just isnt something that goes wrong often.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks perfectly normal to me. Kitty is a ball of energy and cat isn't having it, so she disciplines kitty, which acts subordinate for a minute, then comes right back for more play.

If you can engage in some vigorous play with the kitten alone, it may expend some energy so she'll let the older cat have a rest.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That’s a video of two cats getting to know each other, one pushing the boundaries, the other setting them. Cats need to do this to learn each other’s language. It’s also about the kitten being taught what it is to be cat.

You’ll notice the kitten attacks the cat in the litterbox area. The litterbox has one way in and out making it a good place for one cat to ambush another. Move your litterbox to another place where a cat using it has multiple escape routes or you’ll find at least one cat will begin to avoid using the box.