Kitten urines in cycles on carpet

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two kittens I got as rescue from different shelters. Cookie is 5.5 months old and Thumper is 7.5 months old. Cookie weighs about 7 pounds and Thumper is 10 pounds.

Anyway, Cookie seems to have good health and the urine test and culture came back negative. She does have diahhrea or at least soft stool. This has gone on since I got her three and a half months ago.

I leve in a small condo with a loft and have two litter boxes on the loft. The two kittens seem to have no problem getting up and down the stairs easiluy.

Cookie seems to cycle through urinating in specific places around the condo. She started in a corner of my room. Then after I blocked that off, she peed around the litter boxes. Then after blocking that off, she started on towers and teh bath tub. now she is doing it in the living room.

I locked her in the bathroom for a day and she used her box, but the room smelled very strange. Not like poop or pee/anonia. Kind sick or like rotten eggs.

If anyone has thoughts, let me know.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Odd, cystine will make urine smell sulfur like (due to the fact that's it's a sulfur-containing amino acid). Are you certain her urine is fine? I'd have her retested and make sure to tell them about the odd smell of her urine.
I suggest you take her back and have them do more tests. Make sure it's not cystinuria, cystine uroliths (crystals and/or stones), or FLUTD. Get the stool issues addressed.

She really sounds like she's going out of her way to avoid her box for it to be just behavioral.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I spoke with the vet today, and she thought this odd. I do not think it was actually a sulfure smell, but more of a vomit or sour smell. Not sure if it was because she was in a closed room (window open). I moved one box downstairs and left one upstairs and the two kitens peed in one and pooped in the other. The smell was much better this morning. I was wondering if it might be the food. Hills/ ID. Note Cookie has the Herpes virus.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, rotten egg smell is a sulfur smell.

Herpes wouldn't likely be the direct cause of this, but it could certainly affect her immune system which could cause complications.

Hills does have a lot of fillers, and for some cats that can mean stinky stools. I've never heard anyone mention the urine smelling odd or an egg like smell, though. The room wouldn't have made the smell, it would have only made it more noticeable to you upon opening the door. One day/night should not have made it that strong - now if you'd left the litter box for 3+ days I could understand that explanation.

I hope the you and the vet can get together and figure out what is going on. The fact that she's had problems with this since you got her and it smells weird, plus the stool issues, just doesn't sound right.

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much. This has been strange for all of us.

Can moving a litter box downstairs where she spends most of her time (99%) make that much of a change. When I had mi two kittens 18 years ago, I started out with just one box, but it was downstairs. When they were more than a year old, it got moved upstairs with out problems.

She also has Diarrhea alternating with soft stool. It has looked more normal over the past few days. There is a lot of information I may have left out. The vet seems competent. We ran 2 fecal analysis plus one Diarrhea $200 panel. She seems to react to Wellness kitten food especially the very rich canned food.

She also has an eye infection that the antibiotics did not seem to help, but it is not getting worse. I see green yellow (vascaline like) discharge, but the eye is open. She plays, eats, runs around, purrs, holds her tail up sometimes. She can jump on and off things.

She did have a tight full tummy ever since I got her, but the shelter de-wormed her, and the vet said that all three fecal tests would have picked up worms, and the various parasites. I would think the panel would have done for sure. I guess there is a cross reference redundant test also.

She has also gained weight from 2 pounds at 2 months to 7 pounds at 5.5 months.

Thanks for the well wish and advice.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her weight does seem good, at least.

Do you have a copy of the results with tests for the fecal tests? You need to look and see if she was ever tested for the protozoal parasite tritrichomonas foetus. It can be tougher to find and tough to treat.

Certainly having boxes both down stairs, and multiple boxes can help her get to a litter box easier and may help with the peeing out of the box some, but not if there's a specific reason she's not using it.

Do you use l-lysine for her herpes? If not you should discuss that with the vet and supplement. BUT, you need to make sure that odd smell isn't from something in her urine like cystine. Cystinuria (which is a genetic, have from birth condition) can present with elevated lysine levels in the blood so I do not know the consequences for supplementing without making sure cystinuria is definitely not a problem.

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It turns out it is the feces that smell. I am using l-lisine and I may have mentioned the probiotic Rx biotic already. The diarrhes is actually soft stool like cow patty, nut tonight I pulled a sample that was firmer not as orangie as previous. I am thinking Hills I/d is smell causing. The vet did mention trig...... When suggesting the diarrhea panel. She still hesitates at a blood work at 5 months old. She does not think such a young kitten should have positive signs in her blood. Did I mention Wellness kitten food seemed to set off the diarrhea?