Kitten uninterested in food

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got a new kitten in October, we don’t know her exact age because she was found outside but she’s probably around 8 months now. She’s been a great eater but today she didn’t want dinner, we waited a few hours and shes still uninterested. We tried wet and dry. She ate her breakfast slower than usual but she still ate. I tried to open her mouth and take a picture because i think maybe teeth are coming in? I’m not sure if an 8 month old cat can still be teething but if you can tell by the picture let me know.
IMG_3091.jpeg

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there well your not alone . I had the same problem with my girl with the eating issue . You say you don’t know what her she is ? Well a vet should be able to tell you lol but don’t be surprised if they are a few weeks off on the age lol my vet was even when her told her the exact day mine was born lol but anyhow I get back to the issue of food . If she’s a kitten tbh she’s probably just being picky . Mine did the same thing I didn’t know wtf was going on lol it drove me batty cause . She loved her food then One day just like yours did she wouldn’t touch it . Let me ask you this when you give her or him there food . Do they smell it and put there nose up and walk away .
If that the case it’s food adverision if I spelled it correct . Basically she’s picky lol I found out that by reading a lot plus talking to my vet . Does she like treats ?

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also the teething part sorry I over read it lol but they can teeth all the way to a year . Mine did . Also if she is teething she will either eat slower then normal or not at all . Check her gums you will be able to tell if she’s teething . Her gums will be reddish looking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there well your not alone . I had the same problem with my girl with the eating issue . You say you don’t know what her she is ? Well a vet should be able to tell you lol but don’t be surprised if they are a few weeks off on the age lol my vet was even when her told her the exact day mine was born lol but anyhow I get back to the issue of food . If she’s a kitten tbh she’s probably just being picky . Mine did the same thing I didn’t know wtf was going on lol it drove me batty cause . She loved her food then One day just like yours did she wouldn’t touch it . Let me ask you this when you give her or him there food . Do they smell it and put there nose up and walk away .
If that the case it’s food adverision if I spelled it correct . Basically she’s picky lol I found out that by reading a lot plus talking to my vet . Does she like treats ?
The vets gave us an about age but like you said its hard to know the exact date lol. But shes around 8-9 months as of now. But yeah she puts her nose up to it and then turns away from it uninterested. But its still like she wants to eat because she runs when she hears food she just doesn’t actually want to eat it once she smells it. She’s not the most food motivated cat out there but i’ll try some treats and other stuff that she usually likes to see if she'll eat it.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lmao omg that sounds like mine baby girl lol she’s being picky the one thing I did find that she liked was those treats in a tube from dollar tree the tuna ones lol she would rub against my leg forever and get so excited lol you can even go to Walmart and get those package of like meat in a pounch . It comes in a few different flavors or try reveel . Any pet food store should have them in small cans . But listen any thing like I just mention you don’t wanna make it your cats main dish . It’s basically like a side dish or a treat . And mine goes nutty over it . But don’t worry none just keep trying u can even try getting like a low salt can of tuna and giving her some or some pink salmon . But as a treat . Mine won’t eat it she’s too spoiled or thinking she’s too good for it now . But just buy one or a pouch or pack of this or that and try it . Cause if she don’t like it then it’s not like you wasted a ton of money lol have you tried adding like chicken or beef both on the food ? Also the tube thingy try adding it on top on his or her . They should eat it along with there dry food

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lmao omg that sounds like mine baby girl lol she’s being picky the one thing I did find that she liked was those treats in a tube from dollar tree the tuna ones lol she would rub against my leg forever and get so excited lol you can even go to Walmart and get those package of like meat in a pounch . It comes in a few different flavors or try reveel . Any pet food store should have them in small cans . But listen any thing like I just mention you don’t wanna make it your cats main dish . It’s basically like a side dish or a treat . And mine goes nutty over it . But don’t worry none just keep trying u can even try getting like a low salt can of tuna and giving her some or some pink salmon . But as a treat . Mine won’t eat it she’s too spoiled or thinking she’s too good for it now . But just buy one or a pouch or pack of this or that and try it . Cause if she don’t like it then it’s not like you wasted a ton of money lol have you tried adding like chicken or beef both on the food ? Also the tube thingy try adding it on top on his or her . They should eat it along with there dry food
ive tried using the tubes but she doesn’t like those actually, my other cats love them but she just doesn’t care for them. i gave her some treats and she slowly ate those. Were gonna be trying a new brand of cat food soon so hopefully she will take good to that lol. ty for the advice :)

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your very welcome my friend lol anytime lol try a website called catfooddb.com that might help . Cause I’m in a similar situation but not where she won’t eat . I’m trying to find other brands she can eat since she’s so small lol

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your very welcome my friend lol anytime lol try a website called catfooddb.com that might help . Cause I’m in a similar situation but not where she won’t eat . I’m trying to find other brands she can eat since she’s so small lol
ty for the link i’ll be sure to check that out. good luck on the cat food journey for your little one! :)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Anytime a young healthy cat won’t eat, you need to take them to the vet. Young healthy animals have great appetites. Is there anything she could have gotten into? Any plants or flowers in the house? Hair ties? Any changes in the house? Is she indoor only or does she go out? Any other animals? Any flea products recently used? Litter box habits normal?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not wanting to eat is a big red flag for me. If she still doesn't want to eat in the morning, I would make an appointment with the vet. Any change in eating, litterbox, or play habits is cause for concern.

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Anytime a young healthy cat won’t eat, you need to take them to the vet. Young healthy animals have great appetites. Is there anything she could have gotten into? Any plants or flowers in the house? Hair ties? Any changes in the house? Is she indoor only or does she go out? Any other animals? Any flea products recently used? Litter box habits normal?
Everything but her eating seems normal. she doesn’t go outside and looking around i don’t see anything she could have gotten into or eaten. She was playing just fine a little while ago and is sleeping now. She seems to have appetite but just doesn’t want her usual food, i mentioned before that she ate some treats slowly so i don’t think its gastrointestinal related. it really just seems like her mouth is sore. But if she continues to not eat i will call the vet and see what they think.

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not wanting to eat is a big red flag for me. If she still doesn't want to eat in the morning, I would make an appointment with the vet. Any change in eating, litterbox, or play habits is cause for concern.
Once our vet is open tomorrow i’ll be sure to make a call if she’s still not eating, but i do think its her teeth that are bothering her. She took some treats for me but very slowly and uncomfortably chewed them. Litterbox and play habits both seem completely normal, but i’ll make sure to atleast call and get the vet’s opinion.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have wet food, you can try making it like a slurry by adding in some warm water to it and offering it to her.

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: She ate a good amount of breakfast and seemed fine but just a little bit ago she spit up a little. There was no food in it since it was awhile after she ate but it was just a little bit of frothy throw up.

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have wet food, you can try making it like a slurry by adding in some warm water to it and offering it to her.
Update, she ate breakfast but was uninterested in dinner, she seemed hungry and excited to eat but then turned away once she smelled it. I tried lots of different stuff but she didn’t seem to want anything. I mentioned before but in the afternoon she spit up some clear frothy liquid. It was long enough after breakfast that there was no food in it but i don’t know what would have caused her to do that. Vet is already closed today so if she doesn’t want breakfast tomorrow i’ll call then.

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think i may know the problem. We have been using the purina beyond food for a little while and theres been no problems but i know recently there have been some issues linked to the brand. Main reason why we wanted to start switching in the first place. Anyways we didn’t want to waste the food we already had so we continued to just finish the bag. 2 of my cats eat this, the one that is sick (Honey) and my adult male cat (Skunk) My other 2 cats eat medicated royal canin food. Today after eating Honey threw up and Skunk refused breakfast but the other 2 ate like normal. Since we haven’t gotten new food in yet I want to feed those 2 one of the medicated foods in the mean time. Is that okay? Its the urinary and the renal food. Also the food we plan on getting is nulo. Is that a better choice?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly the best food would be canned. But for right now you do want her to eat. So, while a prescription food wouldn’t be ideal, if she will eat it, then ok. But I think this could be something more going on and still needs a vet visit if not eating well.

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly the best food would be canned. But for right now you do want her to eat. So, while a prescription food wouldn’t be ideal, if she will eat it, then ok. But I think this could be something more going on and still needs a vet visit if not eating well.
They get kibble for breakfast and canned for dinner. She doesn’t want dinner right now but hopefully there will be improvements after we remove what is presumably the problem and give her a different food. Skunk ate a good portion of his dinner but not all of it. It seems like after she eats breakfast she feels sick and still feels sick by the afternoon, but by the next morning she feels better and eats breakfast again thus repeating the cycle. I don’t think it’s just her being picky with the wet food because she ate it just fine before and I've tried multiple different things and she still wants none of it. I assume its the food since both my cats eating it feel sick, the other two feel fine, and purina has been having problems. it doesn’t feel like a coincidence but if it gets worse now that the presumed problem is removed i’ll look farther into it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It seems like after she eats breakfast she feels sick and still feels sick by the afternoon, but by the next morning she feels better and eats breakfast again thus repeating the cycle. I don’t think it’s just her being picky with the wet food because she ate it just fine before and I've tried multiple different things and she still wants none of it.
Unless I'm missing something, everything you've just described indicates that it really would be best to have her checked by a veterinarian.