Kitten traumatizing older cat with play-aggression

eastpole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi folks.

I have two cats, both fixed:

- Callie, female 10 years old, very loving & affectionate

- Rambo (aka young Rambonius), male 4 months, recently introduced to household Introductions and cohabitation have been tough.

Callie generally doesn't take any rubbish but is getting traumatized by Rambo's play fighting. Whenever they are together Rambo jumps on her and chases her around. She hisses, growls/snarls and claws to keep him away - but he just doesn't get it or give a toss. Just keeps pouncing, playing and chasing. Now she runs away and doesn't stand up for herself anymore.

They have separated resources (litter, food, toys, scratching posts), and introduction was done slowly, and with separation. We also have french doors to keep them apart, which helps, but we want to get to a point where they can co-exist.

Callie is pretty traumatized and always on edge. We recognize that it's play aggression and he's not actually attacking her. However, we're at wits end and worried we may need to rehome Rambo. :(

Any help/advise would be appreciated!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi folks.

I have two cats, both fixed:

- Callie, female 10 years old, very loving & affectionate

- Rambo (aka young Rambonius), male 4 months, recently introduced to household Introductions and cohabitation have been tough.

Callie generally doesn't take any rubbish but is getting traumatized by Rambo's play fighting. Whenever they are together Rambo jumps on her and chases her around. She hisses, growls/snarls and claws to keep him away - but he just doesn't get it or give a toss. Just keeps pouncing, playing and chasing. Now she runs away and doesn't stand up for herself anymore.

They have separated resources (litter, food, toys, scratching posts), and introduction was done slowly, and with separation. We also have french doors to keep them apart, which helps, but we want to get to a point where they can co-exist.

Callie is pretty traumatized and always on edge. We recognize that it's play aggression and he's not actually attacking her. However, we're at wits end and worried we may need to rehome Rambo. :(

Any help/advise would be appreciated!
While it is generally thought kittens are more easily introduced and accepted by older cats (over 2 yrs old), the reverse is also true, especially for senior cats (over 9 yrs).  Older cats can see a kittens energy as very annoying and upsetting.  My suggestion is to find another younger kitty that has a similar playful energy to become his playmate.  It will take his focus off of her and they can be friends.  Everyone wins. 

I'm a big advocate for not rehoming.  It is actually hard to properly rehome a cat.  And I feel and believe that once you make a commitment, you should keep it.  I am not preaching, so please don't be offended.  You can also try playing with Rambo yourself.  Cats need at least a good hour of play a day to be healthy and properly stimulated.  Many break this down into small section frames several times a day.  Jackson Galaxy has many great videos on this.  Check them out if you get a chance!! 

Also, in a couple of months he will start to grow out of his rambunctiousness somewhat and become more laid back. 

alofty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that adding another kitten to play with your current one may help. If that is not an option (please don't adopt more cats than you can take care of) then playing with your kitten is a great idea. Kittens are hard to tire out. You might want to buy toys that are battery powered or just plain old fuzzyballs can keep kittens busy forever. Just work on finding him things to do by himself. 

You can also add more cat furniture to your home. Does your older cat enjoy cat trees or being higher up? If so, get some stuff so that he can the escape the kittens torment.

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You've gotten good advice so far, and I'd like to second the tip to get him some toys he can play with by himself.  Try ball in track games (the starchaser was a big hit with my kitten) or an automatic laser or the "Cat's Meow".  The Cat's Meow in particular was a huge hit over here.  I'd also suggest some simple toys he can chase and bat about, maybe some small balls or cat springs or even bottle caps.  Another thing that may help your older kitty catch a break would be a toy he can wrestle with.  Hunter's a single kitten as well and he very much enjoys tussling with a small stuffed animal and really doesn't try to tussle with anyone/anything else.

Another kitten would certainly help, but only if you are financially and emotionally ready for a third cat and have enough space for three cats to coexist peacefully.  It would likely solve the current issue, but it's also another living thing to take responsibility for.  That said, if the alternative is sending the current kitten to the shelter, it may be the time for nuclear measures.  Perhaps if you don't want three cats, you could foster?  I know many shelters always need foster parents and you could probably find him a more appropriate playmate, without the expense and commitment of a new cat of your own.

Last edited: