Kitten too skinny on Primal Raw? 4mo.

lovecalifus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I foster failed on one of my rescue kittens and he's been nothing but trouble when it comes to food. He was found at 8 weeks extremely skinny and sick. There was weeks of force feeding, supplements, medication, on and on. Anyway he did eventually recover, and has been the pickiest eater ever since then.

Once he was mine, I took him off kibble, and started feeding the highest quality wet foods money can buy. My adult cat is on raw (Primal Raw to be exact) and has been for years, I didn't want to start him on raw so young, just because he had such a hard time and I was a little worried about his immune system and such. Moral of the story, hundreds of dollars later, all he wants to eat is raw (he gets Turkey formula) like his big sister.

Primal recommends four nuggets of the turkey a day for a kitten his age and size (we think approximately 5 pounds now, and he's about 4.5 months old). While he seems to be in a good weight range, he looks skinny, and we're feeding him EIGHT nuggets a day, split over four meals, have been for a few weeks, and he is constantly crying for more.

He's been dewormed twice, tested for every disease under the sun, done two rounds of antibiotics, and has his basic vaccines fully finished (rabies and leukaemia to be done with his neuter, January 5).

I've attached some pictures for reference to what I mean when I say he looks skinny. He has a visible waist line and can usually see his hip/shoulder bones. I've also attached one of him with my adult cat (because it is adorable), but she is a very small cat, only 8 pounds with tiny legs and a round little body.

Sorry if it is a silly question, I am honestly not very used to having kittens (teething was a surprise!) as I am a foster home, almost exclusively adult cats, and even the kittens who do come to me are always emaciated/sick. 

Thoughts?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He does look on the thin side. Kittens should be fed as much as they want since they need all that food for their growing bodies. They can't get fat from eating a lot. Primal frozen nuggets are roughly 53 calories each so your kitten is getting well over 400 calories daily but probably just needs more calories to satisfy his body. Try going up to 10 nuggets a day or adding kitten canned food to the diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovecalifus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks,

I think he's going to bankrupt us, at this point lol my adult eats 4 nuggets a day. 14 between the two of them... oh man 

Gotta do what ya gotta do, though. It's not even like he looks like he'll be a big cat or anything either. I've had kittens his age with paws the size of my dog's. 

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks,

I think he's going to bankrupt us, at this point lol my adult eats 4 nuggets a day. 14 between the two of them... oh man 

Gotta do what ya gotta do, though. It's not even like he looks like he'll be a big cat or anything either. I've had kittens his age with paws the size of my dog's. 
Primal's calculators can be off for kittens, ours eat what the calculator says and then some. They were about the same size at the same age as your boy.

Last edited:

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for you to add in some canned for just a bit, or FD raw? If canned, pate is more calorically dense than shredded. Kittens eat like small horses at this age. 

Are you totally against leaving out some grain free high quality kibble for a while? Just till he finishes growing. Orijen makes a Cat & Kitten kibble that's really great. Just a thought. 14 nuggets a day gets EXPENSIVE! 

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Is it possible for you to add in some canned for just a bit, or FD raw? If canned, pate is more calorically dense than shredded. Kittens eat like small horses at this age. 

Are you totally against leaving out some grain free high quality kibble for a while? Just till he finishes growing. Orijen makes a Cat & Kitten kibble that's really great. Just a thought. 14 nuggets a day gets EXPENSIVE! 
We were in a simlar situation. Some math:

Primal Turkey is $20 / 3lb bag here. So $.42 an ounce. * 14 oz a day = $5.88 a day, * 30.5 days in a month ~ $179/month. * tax (our's is 8.25%) ~ $194 month. That's pretty steep for 2 cats. That's not to mention the freezer space 14*30.5/16 ~ 27 lbs of frozen food in and out of your freezer/fridge in a month.

We considered it from the perspective of calories vs cost. Primal turkey is about 45 calories / oz per their website, so close to about a penny a calorie.

Many 3oz pates are in the 85-100 calorie range, so equivalent to about 2 oz of primal or a little more than that. It'd be hard to find a 3oz can of something for less than $.85-$1.00 that'd we felt better about than Raw.

At the 5.5/6oz canned pate, it's probably equivalent to 4-5oz of primal calorie wise ($1.68-$2.10), there are probably some options here where money could be saved.

We opted for free fed Orijen Cat and Kitten, which we plan to stop free-feeding once they're no longer kittens, and a mostly raw diet (they still prefer raw over their kibble) with some canned mixed in here and there. It's not perfect, but more manageable cost wise and makes us feel better if someone else has to feed them (they'll be used to some canned/dry, wouldn't expect anyone else to manage their raw feedings).

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could add to kitty's diet duck, which is a fattier meat. You could try Stella & Chewy's freeze dried duck, in addition to the Primal turkey. Maybe a fattier meat will help kitty feel more sated, good luck. :)