Originally Posted by Suri

She is not a breeder.
I found her on Craigs list.
She's only asking $25 for the kitten.
It must of been an accidental litter.

I was planing to take this kitten to
a vet to get it checked out and its first
shots. I doubt she will do that.

I'm not sure what to do in this situation.
She IS a breeder, just not a responsible reputable breeder. She's quite obviously running a kitten mill. You said she has another pregnant cat besides and that she "always" sells the kittens at 5 weeks.

I agree with Carolina, this person is bad news and people like her are one of the reasons the shelters are full to bursting and thousands die each day.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Be careful with Craigslist kittens. The woman I got my Teddy from told me he was 6 weeks old. I knew something was off when I saw how little he was. I brought him straight to the vet who determine he was about a week old and very sick with a URI. Little ones are pretty expensive if you have to get kitten formula for them. Plus there is the cost of shots and neutering.

When I got my other cat, I adopted him from an animal shelter. His adoption fee was around $85, but it included his shots, neuter and a vet check up exam. If money is an issue for you, you may want to adopt from a shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am gonna go ahead and rescue the kitten.

I've heard of free kitten and puppy exams
or even low cost ones so I can take him
asap!
Does anybody know Where I can find one?
I can pay for shots and stuff but hes probably
to young to neuter. What age is okay to get him
neutered?

Also, should I feed him dry kitten food with half wet?
What brand would be good.

What kind of litter should I use for him?

I almost for got. He will be around 7 weeks now.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Suri

I am gonna go ahead and rescue the kitten.

I've heard of free kitten and puppy exams
or even low cost ones so I can take him
asap!
Does anybody know Where I can find one?
I can pay for shots and stuff but hes probably
to young to neuter. What age is okay to get him
neutered?

Also, should I feed him dry kitten food with half wet?
What brand would be good.

What kind of litter should I use for him?

I almost for got. He will be around 7 weeks now.
Alright, I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can

You can try calling your shelter or vet about inexpensive exams in your area...they should know.

Some people have different oppinions on when to neuter- usually 4-6 months is what I do, before they're old enough to produce offspring, but some people do do it younger.

When you get him you'll get an idea of what type of food he's used too...mixing dry and wet is good, but only do a little at a time because it will get soggy and he won't eat that much.

Make sure that whatever litter you use is Non-clumping- this is very important for kittens, because they like to lick their paws, and if they lick their paws with litter on them, it can clump in their stomach.

Good luck with your new baby!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CuteKittenKat

For brands, most are good...whiskas, purina, kitten chow...
I promise I'm not picking on you
but those are not generally good foods. Unidentified byproducts, corn, dyes and hormones, etc.
Some good ones are Innova, Innova EVO, Felidae, Taste of The Wild, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, etc.

Other than that I agree with everything.

Good luck with your new kitten, Suri.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CuteKittenKat

Alright, I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can

You can try calling your shelter or vet about inexpensive exams in your area...they should know.

Some people have different oppinions on when to neuter- usually 4-6 months is what I do, before they're old enough to produce offspring, but some people do do it younger.

When you get him you'll get an idea of what type of food he's used too...mixing dry and wet is good, but only do a little at a time because it will get soggy and he won't eat that much.

For brands, most are good...whiskas, purina, kitten chow...

Make sure that whatever litter you use is Non-clumping- this is very important for kittens, because they like to lick their paws, and if they lick their paws with litter on them, it can clump in their stomach.

Good luck with your new baby!
Most vets give free exams to cats adopted from SHELTERS. Getting a kitten from a kitten mill....I don't think you are going to find any vet wanting to reward you with a free check up. Of course it's worth a try.

I agree with the neuter advice for a male kitten, and I agree to not use clumping litter.

The foods mentioned are not good quality brands. This kitten may still need KMR. I recommend whatever you feed him, to add KMR to his food for a few more weeks (kitten milk replacement) Be sure to know what the "breeder" is feeding, she should in fact give you some of whatever food the kitten is now eating, and gradually transition to a better food.

The litter box should be placed somewhere the kitten has easy and quick access to it.

The kitten is going to need a ton of attention from you.

Best of luck with him, and definitely get him to the vet right away. He's going to need to be de-flead and dewormed I haven't the slightest doubt about that, and expect an URI too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll take him to the vet asap. I do expect those kinda things
and will do whatever it takes to make him better.
He deserves a good life.

Thank you.

icklemiss21 Thanks for the website! I'm gonna check that vet out.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since you've decided on taking him home with you, if you can afford double the food and vet visits, ask if she'll give you a discount on a littermate...two is barely any more work than one at that age (able to eat mushy food with KMR mixed in from a shallow bowl) and he'll be much less lonely. It seems to help them adjust to a new place if they can do so while chasing and pouncing each other.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up with my cat Starbuck when she was 6 weeks old because someone threw her out of a car window. Luckily the person whose property she was dumped on saw it and grabbed her immediately. I have no idea at what age she was separated from mom and siblings. Kittens that young can have socialization issues as mentioned. Starbuck used to nip your nose a little too hard. I had to train her out of that habit. It took a while but it can be done. I was lucky there were no litter box issues. I do have other cats and they helped to socialize her. Is there any way you can get a 2nd cat that is a little older to be a playmate and teach the baby boundaries. I would probably still be getting bitten if my other cats did not teach Starbuck that biting was not an aceptable way to show affection.

I am glad you are taking this kitten since it sounds like you are willing to do what it takes.

azaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Okay, this right here tells me that this clearly wasn't an accidental litter. She is doing this on purpose. Why is she even asking any money if the kitten hasn't caused any costs to her? I do not think the price is there to rule out non serious buyers because she definitely isn't seriously taking care of the kittens herself if she's giving them away insanely young! (Reputable breeders do NOT let the kittens leave before 12 weeks, no matter purebred or not).
Never take an animal out of pity. I would stay away from this person and find a kitten elsewhere from someone who takes proper care of their animals.
AGREED