Kitten to multi-cat household introduction not progressing

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three female resident cats (6 years, 5 years, and 4 years) and rescued a new kitten who is 7 months old or so; also female.

I have been introducing my new kitten to my three resident cats using Jackson Galaxy’s method. Started slow, with scent, sound, and sight, each time with positive reinforcements with food. I installed a pet gate, feeding on opposite sides with a cover, slowly lifted the cover, and progressively brought them closer. I removed the cover, moved them farther away and then slowly brought them closer again. Removed the pet gate and again brought them closer. They are now eating inches away from each other. However, it's been months, and the process is not moving forward. I started the introduction 4 months ago. Prior to that, I had kept the kitten isolated for 2 months, mostly cause she was severely malnourished and I wanted to make sure she is not carrying anything that might infect my resident cats. All is done now, she is vaccinated and spayed.

They eat in front of one another mere inches away, and there is no staring, no hissing, no growling of any kind whatsoever. The older two of my resident cats eat their food and leave the area and don't seem that distressed, so I take that as a positive sign. (I am also focusing on these two cats separately with the new kitten, like supervised playtime and treats. Five to ten mins per day or so. As per their comfort.)

However, the third resident cat (4 year old) finishes her food, realises that the new kitten is in front of her, and charges at her. During the time they eat, there is no form of aggression whatsoever. I give them three meals, and they have enough resources like multiple litter boxes, water, beds, etc. I don't know what to do. All are female cats, and all have been spayed.

The main issue is chasing. New kitten has gotten hurt a couple of times and has peed herself. New kitten is now terrified of the resident bully cat. And her fear also comes up in the sessions with the other two cats. So its kinda dragging the progress with all of the cats. I don't know what else to do at this stage tbh. At wits end. I have also used Feliway, but it didn't do anything. I also play with all cats plenty. I need to move in a couple of months to a smaller place and I need them to get along or at least avoid one another yesterday! Should I give up and try to rehome the new kitten? Which is very hard because where I stay, there is a preference for Persian cats and other breeds but not rescued tabby cats. I'm really at the end of my rope here.

I don't know if it matters, but the resident bully cat is a ginger tabby, and new cat is a brown tabby. The older one is tuxedo, and the middle one is Egyptian Mau. I don't know if breed matters, but just putting it out there.

All cats are sweet and kind in general. The power dynamics between them generally points to the bully cat being at the top of the hierarchy. It doesn't cause any issues tho with the other two resident cats because they accept her as the boss, so to speak and there is peace at home. She doesn't bully them in general, she is more like a protective mafia boss than a bully. If I clip the nails of the other two resident cats, the youngest comes up and tries to swat me to 'keep me from hurting them'. She also comforts us humans when we fall sick. She is the sweetest usually. But she is certainly bullying the new kitten and terrorising her. Please tell me what to do.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the situation that's brought you here.

Reading your post, it sounds like you're doing everything "by the book" pertaining to cat introductions. Four months is a long time, but sometimes it really just takes a long time.

How long ago was the kitten spayed? Just wondering if perhaps there's any hormones still that the older cat can sense.

You mentioned that the charging happens after eating. Do the kitten and 4 year old see each other at non-meal time? If so, what is the older cat like then.

What exactly happened when the kitten got hurt? An actual bite? Fur flying? Either way, peeing itself is a definite sign it was scared / stressed.

Maybe you need to start all over with introducing the kitten to the 4 year old.

TCS has this article on How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite that might have some tips for you.

It includes the link to How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles which probably has similar steps to the Jackson Galaxy’s method, but might be worth reading.

If you think it might be scent as opposed to sight that stresses the older cat, you could try dabbing some vanilla extract on your cats to make them all smell the same.
Ode to vanilla extract | TheCatSite

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to rubysmama rubysmama 's questions, was there any setback or this problem was always there once you let them eat face to face? And how long ago did you start allowing these face-to-face encounters?

In general, kittens under 6 months are not perceived as adults. They might get swatted and it can look scary, but injuries, if any, will be limited to accidental scratches. The swats are more "get out of here" communication than true intent to injure. But a 7 month old could well be perceived as adult, which means true intent to injure is possible. So I'm trying to get a better sense of the timeline and what has happened with face-to-face interactions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the situation that's brought you here.

Reading your post, it sounds like you're doing everything "by the book" pertaining to cat introductions. Four months is a long time, but sometimes it really just takes a long time.

How long ago was the kitten spayed? Just wondering if perhaps there's any hormones still that the older cat can sense.

You mentioned that the charging happens after eating. Do the kitten and 4 year old see each other at non-meal time? If so, what is the older cat like then.

What exactly happened when the kitten got hurt? An actual bite? Fur flying? Either way, peeing itself is a definite sign it was scared / stressed.

Maybe you need to start all over with introducing the kitten to the 4 year old.

TCS has this article on How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite that might have some tips for you.

It includes the link to How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles which probably has similar steps to the Jackson Galaxy’s method, but might be worth reading.

If you think it might be scent as opposed to sight that stresses the older cat, you could try dabbing some vanilla extract on your cats to make them all smell the same.
Ode to vanilla extract | TheCatSite
Thank you for the reply. The kitten was spayed last month, as she was underweight and we were waiting for her gain a little weight.

I have been very scared to let them see each other at non-meal times. Once I saw that they were eating peacefully with their food bowls literally touching one another (and I respected their space, only brought them closer as much as they could based on their 'challenge line'), I thought maybe I could just have them in the room with me with treats instead of the wet food. I was giving them treats on opposite sides of me, at say about arms length. That was the first time the 4 year old charged at her. There was fur flying, scratches on the kitten and also blood was drawn. She had peed herself as well. It was horrible to see, because the kitten doesn't fight back, just surrenders and shows her belly. But that doesn't deter the 4 year old. After this happened, I had to restart the intro process from the beginning. This happened one month into the process. I thought I maybe rushed it, I don't know.

The second time, the kitten, in her curiosity, ran out from the room she was in, and I couldn't catch her in time. This was the second time the 4 year old pounced on her and there was pee and fur flying all around. I again went back a few steps and made sure there is a pet gate at all times until there was no more staring.

The third time happened a day before I made this post. I was definitely taking it very slow. There was a good amount of distance between them. There was no pet gate, because they were eating very well with the pet gate like at the gate's boundary (I don't know if I am making sense). So then I decided to remove the pet gate and try feeding with the door open. There was still a lot of distance between them and they really were busy eating. I don’t know what happened, I turned to look at the kitten, and before I could realise, my 4 year old had already attacked her. Again, fur flying, pee. I couldn't find any blood on her or any scratches. So then I have not let them see each other after that.

However, just after I made this post, my oldest, with whom I was making a lot of progress (like they could be in the same room and were more or less ignoring each other, I would always play with them tho, never let them figure each other out) attacked the kitten in another one of these supervised play sessions.
I stepped in (I know I shouldn't have put myself in between, but I had to save the kitten as my oldest doesn't know her strength), and also got really hurt in the process. I can only imagine how much the kitten must have gotten hurt. I don't know what happened. One second they were playing and generally coexisting, the next she was attacking. Which is a shocker, cause the oldest is usually docile and has been no problem when I introduced her with the other two.

It feels like a hopeless situation all around. I am not letting them see the kitten anymore and will pause the introduction process. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

It's definitely sight that stresses them out tho. I think its time I rehome the kitten.
Btw, they were eating with no issue without pet gate where I was bringing them closer by the centimetre for about a month, give or take.

Did I mess it up? Should I have waited till after the spay to even start the introduction process? Never had this issue before tho. The other two cats were introduced and successfully integrated before being spayed. I don't know. Please, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition to rubysmama rubysmama 's questions, was there any setback or this problem was always there once you let them eat face to face? And how long ago did you start allowing these face-to-face encounters?

In general, kittens under 6 months are not perceived as adults. They might get swatted and it can look scary, but injuries, if any, will be limited to accidental scratches. The swats are more "get out of here" communication than true intent to injure. But a 7 month old could well be perceived as adult, which means true intent to injure is possible. So I'm trying to get a better sense of the timeline and what has happened with face-to-face interactions.
Thanks for your reply.

So, in the initial timeline, they were eating side by side for a good week, without any issues. (But the whole process was going on for a month at that point). Their bowls and consequently their whiskers would touch while eating, and none of them seemed to mind. After this happened, I thought treats would be good with them at arms length from me, on either side. It was going well, until, the 4 year old suddenly jumped her and hit her. Its not simple swatting. It's very much intent to injure. Kitten peed herself, there was blood, and fur flying. Kitten was terrified and rightly so.

After this happened, I restarted the process again. The next time, kitten got out and got hurt before I could catch her. I restarted the process again.

That was three months ago. I have been taking it very slowly. Only meal times, without pet gate, I also crouch with them, I keep myself between them to help if things escalate. So they were eating opposite one another, all four, and the adults would finish their food and start grooming themselves. Kitten would also go quietly into her room and groom herself. This was happening for a good month and I know I didn't push it. Suddenly the 4 year old jumped her. Same drill, peed herself, fur flying. That happened day before I made this post.

But the day I made this post, my oldest also attacked her. Intent to injure. I have detailed it in my previous reply. Long story short, kitten peed herself, I got seriously hurt, my blood was drawn, my arm is all clawed up, my leg is all clawed up. Kitten must have also gotten hurt badly. She is terrified now again. I hope I took the brunt of the attack and the kitten didn't. I couldn't find any blood of the kitten. Just fur and pee. I am scared of the safety for the kitten.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your last 2 posts sound really scary. Especially that last incident. I know you're worried about the kitten, as you should be, but please keep an eye on your scratches, as they could become infected.

As for the situation with the kitten and the aggression from the other cats, I really don't know what to suggest. Normally I would say keep trying with the introductions, but I'm not sure in your case, as the aggression towards the kitten is pretty serious.

Here's a TCS article on Why Do Cats Attack? A Closer Look at Cat Aggression And Its Causes - TheCatSite if you want to check it out.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with rubysmama rubysmama . You've been at this a while, done it more or less according to the latest expert advice, and the results have been awful. At this point, the kitten is still young enough to be easily rehomeable. I know some people hate, hate, that prospect, but it really and truly is the case that sometimes its best for everyone, pets included. If it were me, I'd be strongly considering that now. Of course, if your home easily allows for permanent separate lives, that is also a reasonable possibility to consider. I have a furnished basement, and did have a cat live separately many years ago. My senior cat had gotten bitten twice, and I just didn't think it was fair to him to keep trying.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your last 2 posts sound really scary. Especially that last incident. I know you're worried about the kitten, as you should be, but please keep an eye on your scratches, as they could become infected.

As for the situation with the kitten and the aggression from the other cats, I really don't know what to suggest. Normally I would say keep trying with the introductions, but I'm not sure in your case, as the aggression towards the kitten is pretty serious.

Here's a TCS article on Why Do Cats Attack? A Closer Look at Cat Aggression And Its Causes - TheCatSite if you want to check it out.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a scary situation. I will try to rehome the kitten. I hope I can find her a good home. It's difficult where I stay. Rescued cats are very difficult to rehome. But that's what I'm gonna have to do, I guess.
If I don't find anyone, I will try the introduction again from step 0, but after some months. I think they all need a good pause now. I know my resident cats are being aggressive because they are scared and insecure. I can't blame them.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with rubysmama rubysmama . You've been at this a while, done it more or less according to the latest expert advice, and the results have been awful. At this point, the kitten is still young enough to be easily rehomeable. I know some people hate, hate, that prospect, but it really and truly is the case that sometimes its best for everyone, pets included. If it were me, I'd be strongly considering that now. Of course, if your home easily allows for permanent separate lives, that is also a reasonable possibility to consider. I have a furnished basement, and did have a cat live separately many years ago. My senior cat had gotten bitten twice, and I just didn't think it was fair to him to keep trying.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am considering rehoming the kitten. She is a sweetheart and would break my heart to see her go. But it will be for her own good. I have stopped all manner of introducing now. Won't let them see each other.

This is the kitten, just FYI. She does the cutest little thing. She always wants to be pet first, and then only will she eat. Just a little pet on her tiny head. No matter how hungry she is. And she loves to drink water fresh from the tap, refuses to have it from the fountain or the bowls. Has a way of letting me know she wants to have a drink. She has my heart! :(

Attachments

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am considering rehoming the kitten. She is a sweetheart and would break my heart to see her go. But it will be for her own good. I have stopped all manner of introducing now. Won't let them see each other.

This is the kitten, just FYI. She does the cutest little thing. She always wants to be pet first, and then only will she eat. Just a little pet on her tiny head. No matter how hungry she is. And she loves to drink water fresh from the tap, refuses to have it from the fountain or the bowls. Has a way of letting me know she wants to have a drink. She has my heart! :(
I call her Momo. After the character in Avatar, the Last Airbender. Because when she was rescued, she was this tiny little thing, with ears too big for her face. <3

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a scary situation. I will try to rehome the kitten. I hope I can find her a good home. It's difficult where I stay. Rescued cats are very difficult to rehome. But that's what I'm gonna have to do, I guess.
If I don't find anyone, I will try the introduction again from step 0, but after some months. I think they all need a good pause now. I know my resident cats are being aggressive because they are scared and insecure. I can't blame them.
So sorry that you're at the point where rehoming Momo is being considered. Usually after time cats are able to exist with each other, even if they never become friends.

I just did a quick site search and found this thread similar to yours:
Resident cat attacks new kitten. Desperate need of help!

vpaon06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How big is your house and how many resources do you have for your cats? It might be that with 3 cats they already feel competition of resources and space, and a 4th cat just pushes them over the edge. I worked with a cat behaviorist during the introductions, and the first thing she said was that for peaceful cohabitation you need to have number of cats +1 of everything. So for 4 cats, you'd need 5 rooms in the house (each cat will more or less appropriate one room as their favorite), 5 cat trees, 5 litter boxes, 5 bowls of water, 5 bowls of dry food, 5 sets of toys, 5 scratchers etc. all dispersed throughout the house. If your space does not allow for all of this (which I understand, who has 5 rooms in their house?), then your space might be just too small for the number of cats you're trying to have.

One more question - is the kitten always in her room, or do you let her roam the rest of the house (with your other cats locked away)?

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry that you're at the point where rehoming Momo is being considered. Usually after time cats are able to exist with each other, even if they never become friends.

I just did a quick site search and found this thread similar to yours:
Resident cat attacks new kitten. Desperate need of help!
I looked at the thread and the videos linked therein. The 4-year-old, I have confirmed, attacks with intent to injure. Rolling and going for her neck. The attack the other day by the oldest was mostly chase-swatting and redirected aggression towards me. At this point, I don't know if there is hope. I am also super stressed and I don't have any help. Do you recommend I try to re-introduce them after maybe a break?

I forgot to mention that I do leave the door slightly open, held together by child lock thingies, where they can see each other, but not squeeze through. Because Momo is super thin and can squeeze through, the door is mostly just open a crack. But I do this multiple times a day, if not all the time. I work a 9 to 5 and am not able to be there at home all the time except on the weekends.

My brother and his wife stay with me and had a baby boy two weeks ago. I suspect that might have cranked up the tension by a few notches. But the incidents happened before the delivery, so that is not the cause, per se. Regardless, I will be moving, with the cats, to a smaller apartment in a few months, and I don't think I can have the space to have them separated indefinitely as ArtNJ mentioned.

Someone told me to wait and start the intro process only after Momo is more... meatier... and maybe a year old. I don't know if that will help. I don't have any help and am doing the intro process alone. It's a bit too much to juggle four cats who might pounce at any given moment.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How big is your house and how many resources do you have for your cats? It might be that with 3 cats they already feel competition of resources and space, and a 4th cat just pushes them over the edge. I worked with a cat behaviorist during the introductions, and the first thing she said was that for peaceful cohabitation you need to have number of cats +1 of everything. So for 4 cats, you'd need 5 rooms in the house (each cat will more or less appropriate one room as their favorite), 5 cat trees, 5 litter boxes, 5 bowls of water, 5 bowls of dry food, 5 sets of toys, 5 scratchers etc. all dispersed throughout the house. If your space does not allow for all of this (which I understand, who has 5 rooms in their house?), then your space might be just too small for the number of cats you're trying to have.

One more question - is the kitten always in her room, or do you let her roam the rest of the house (with your other cats locked away)?
Hi, I currently live in a four-bedroom apartment, which is quite spacious. Each of the cats has their own bed, food bowl, and water bowl. I use a water fountain as well, and they love using that. Multiple scratchers, and I am pretty lenient, I let them scratch the sofa to their hearts content. Four litter boxes for the three resident cats and one separate litter box for the new kitten. Which is in her room and only she has access to. I have cat trees and numerous high places set up for the cats.

The resident cats each have their own favorite room, but they don't mind sharing the same bed with me, for instance. They are usually congregated around me. As I type this, two of my cats are next to one another sitting beside me. They seem pretty relaxed and are sleeping. They don't seem stretched thin for resources, IMO. They rarely have any fights between themselves. Not even hissing or growling. It's very rare and even if that happens, it never escalates into anything major.

The new kitten is kept in the spare room, which was never used much. So it was only logical that her basecamp be set up there. Yes, I do bring her out into the house and she loves spending time in my room and the living room. The three resident cats are safely put away. I also do site swapping. The resident cats don't have any issue in using the new kitten's litter box, water bowl, eat her food, or sleep in her bed. Vice versa for the kitten with the resident cats' scent-marked things. Scent doesn't seem to be the problem. Because, if I bring out the kitten's blanket or bed out to the resident cats, they are chill with it and sit in it and use it.

But I will be moving in a few months to a smaller space. Just me and the cats (right now I stay with my family). So I need to resolve this issue. If not, then rehome the kitten. I am stressed.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone told me to wait and start the intro process only after Momo is more... meatier... and maybe a year old. I don't know if that will help. I don't have any help and am doing the intro process alone. It's a bit too much to juggle four cats who might pounce at any given moment.
I dont think trying again after you move is a bad idea per se, except for the fact that its several months away which seems like a long time to defer this given how long the situation has been going on and how much its been stressing all. However, waiting till one year for the sake of the little one being bigger is definitely a bad idea. All that would do is greatly increase the chance that he would fight back, and that isn't going to resolve actual conflict initiated by the other cat. About the only situation where fighting back is helpful is when the party starting trouble is an over-eager player. In that one situation, it can be helpful if the other cat will fight back rather than being scared for no reason. But two cats capable of initiating true hostility is not better than one.

vpaon06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
H
Hi, I currently live in a four-bedroom apartment, which is quite spacious. Each of the cats has their own bed, food bowl, and water bowl. I use a water fountain as well, and they love using that. Multiple scratchers, and I am pretty lenient, I let them scratch the sofa to their hearts content. Four litter boxes for the three resident cats and one separate litter box for the new kitten. Which is in her room and only she has access to. I have cat trees and numerous high places set up for the cats.

The resident cats each have their own favorite room, but they don't mind sharing the same bed with me, for instance. They are usually congregated around me. As I type this, two of my cats are next to one another sitting beside me. They seem pretty relaxed and are sleeping. They don't seem stretched thin for resources, IMO. They rarely have any fights between themselves. Not even hissing or growling. It's very rare and even if that happens, it never escalates into anything major.

The new kitten is kept in the spare room, which was never used much. So it was only logical that her basecamp be set up there. Yes, I do bring her out into the house and she loves spending time in my room and the living room. The three resident cats are safely put away. I also do site swapping. The resident cats don't have any issue in using the new kitten's litter box, water bowl, eat her food, or sleep in her bed. Vice versa for the kitten with the resident cats' scent-marked things. Scent doesn't seem to be the problem. Because, if I bring out the kitten's blanket or bed out to the resident cats, they are chill with it and sit in it and use it.

But I will be moving in a few months to a smaller space. Just me and the cats (right now I stay with my family). So I need to resolve this issue. If not, then rehome the kitten. I am stressed.
Honestly, you did everything by the book. So either you go off the book (trying things that aren't recommended, knowing that it might make things worse), or you keep them separate indefinitely, or you rehome the kitten.

Is there any chance your family could keep Momo and you move away only with your 3 resident cats?

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
H

Honestly, you did everything by the book. So either you go off the book (trying things that aren't recommended, knowing that it might make things worse), or you keep them separate indefinitely, or you rehome the kitten.

Is there any chance your family could keep Momo and you move away only with your 3 resident cats?
Honestly, the reason I have to move out is because my family is basically, for lack of a better word, sick of the cats. Even though the cats have been rescued by said family members, they have essentially left their care entirely to me. For instance, Momo was rescued by my brother, who has now moved to another country. The other three were also rescued by other people of the family, only one was rescued by myself personally.
But I love the cats and in any case, they are my cats and they love me back as well. So that's not an option, unfortunately.

I have already contacted people around me, friends and such, to see if anyone is interested in adopting Momo. The issue is it is nearly impossible to rehome stray rescued cats where I stay. Anyway, I will do that now. If I genuinely don't find any new home for Momo, then I will have to restart the introduction process and see how that goes after a while.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont think trying again after you move is a bad idea per se, except for the fact that its several months away which seems like a long time to defer this given how long the situation has been going on and how much its been stressing all. However, waiting till one year for the sake of the little one being bigger is definitely a bad idea. All that would do is greatly increase the chance that he would fight back, and that isn't going to resolve actual conflict initiated by the other cat. About the only situation where fighting back is helpful is when the party starting trouble is an over-eager player. In that one situation, it can be helpful if the other cat will fight back rather than being scared for no reason. But two cats capable of initiating true hostility is not better than one.
Yes, I hear you. I agree. I have contacted some people to see if they can adopt Momo. I will try to rehome her to the best of my abilities.

vpaon06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly, the reason I have to move out is because my family is basically, for lack of a better word, sick of the cats. Even though the cats have been rescued by said family members, they have essentially left their care entirely to me. For instance, Momo was rescued by my brother, who has now moved to another country. The other three were also rescued by other people of the family, only one was rescued by myself personally.
But I love the cats and in any case, they are my cats and they love me back as well. So that's not an option, unfortunately.

I have already contacted people around me, friends and such, to see if anyone is interested in adopting Momo. The issue is it is nearly impossible to rehome stray rescued cats where I stay. Anyway, I will do that now. If I genuinely don't find any new home for Momo, then I will have to restart the introduction process and see how that goes after a while.
I hope it works out! Where are you based, if you don't mind sharing? You could try local Facebook groups, or advertising in a local cafe?

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope it works out! Where are you based, if you don't mind sharing? You could try local Facebook groups, or advertising in a local cafe?
I'm based in the UAE. I'm definitely gonna try the local channels and social media groups. Already posted on some of these. Fingers crossed.