Kitten to Cat(s) Intro Question

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Players: Lynk (5-6 Months old) the New Guy, Bailey (5-6 Years old) the Grumpy Old Man, Cooper 'Koopa' (5-6 Years old) the Cool Kid.

Bailey to Koopa Dynamic

Bailey lived as an only cat elsewhere for 4 years.  His previous owner had two small dogs who constantly chased and barked at Bailey thus his owner was looking for a new home for Bailey.  I took him in as my dogs get along with cats - Bailey currently sleeps at night inbetween my two Labs.  Koopa grew up with Avery (Avery passed last Feb.) and is use to playing with another cat but Bailey doesn't like it when Koopa attempts to play with him and growls/hisses every time.  When no play attempts are made they will groom each other, eat next to each other with no issues.

When it comes to fight or flight Bailey will flight, he's an all talk kind of guy thus the Grumpy Old Man.  As for Koopa he would lay down, put a paw up in the air and tell the other cat/dog/whatever to 'Chill'.

Insert Lynk - very outgoing, curious playful guy

Lynk is very respectful of Koopa and Bailey and as of yet hasn't made any play attempt.  Both Koopa and Bailey will allow Lynk to eat next to them, be next to him etc. but they still hiss and growl at him.  e.g. Koopa and Lynk were eating this morning side by side.  Koop would take a few bites stop look back hiss then go back to eating.

There are no swings or whaps of any kind, just this hiss/growl.  Heck Lynk can pass right by them when they are doing this and they don't swing out at him.

So, Questions!

Is this normal behavior on the road to acceptance of Lynk?

Should I go back to restricting access/keeping them behind closed doors when I'm home?  Lynk has full access to the house when I'm home (not when I'm at work) because he just follows me around - always on my heels.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like there is no problem. If they will let Lynk close without swatting him, you are doing great. Mine still take the occasional poke at each other and they have been together for almost 2 years.