Kitten time for shots

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Izzy will be 11 weeks old this Monday.  I have not gotten any shots for her yet.  Is there a schedule for getting vacinations for cats?  And which ones to get?  

Also I was planning to do volunteer work at the local humane society but not sure if I should until Izzy is vacinated.  I don't want to bring a germ or bug or something home that she could get diseased from.  Is that a concern?  

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you seen this site written by a vet? What she says about vaccines makes a lot of sense to me.

http://catinfo.org/?link=vaccines

There is a slight risk of transferring something through your clothes/shoes, but you can mitigate those risks by changing and washing your hands before coming into any contact with your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I so agree there is  over vacinating.  I have cut my dogs vacinations way back.  Well back to just rabies because it is the law every 2 years.  They have had the initial vacinations and I don't believe they need them every year any more than people do.  

I just had not read anything on cats and which ones they really need.  There are so many they want to give.  So it looks like there are 5 that should be given in reading that article. 

Does anyone have an answer now to my question  of is it safe for me to work in the humane society before vacinating Izzy?

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooops, I see I did get a reply on my question about bringing home diseases.  I just didn't read far enough.  

How long would it take for her to be safe after getting the vacinations?  

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
For Izzy to gain as much immunity as possible, she would need to get her full course of kitten boosters and then wait 2-3 weeks after the last round.

We start vaccines (FVRCP) at 9 wks, with follow-ups at 12 wks and 15wks (rabies is given at 16 wks...I only give 1 vaccine at a time.)

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She gets started at the vet this wednesday. I guess if there is only a slight risk I could easily change my clothes in he garage and wash my hands as soon as I get in the door. It won't be for ever so it would not be a big deal on my part. I have read the article on vaccines and which ones to give. You say you start vaccines (FVRCP) at 9 wks, with follow-ups at 12 wks and 15wks (rabies is given at 16 wks...You only give 1 vaccine at a time.) So you are saying you get 3 sets of the FVRCP as in one shot or break them out? and then last get Rabies? They don't really need any others except under certain instances. I may have Izzy outside at times should she get anything else for that? Any thoughts on the (killed) adjuvanted or (modified live) non-adjuvanted types? And then where they are given in the kitten? Do you request the shots be given low on the limb as stated in the article? Sorry so many questions. I just want to do what is best. Wow before there was internet I just went to the vet and they did their thing and I was none the wiser. Things have changed.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some information:

Vaccine Associated Sarcomas (VAS) or Injection Site Fibrosarcomas - are a type of cancer caused by vaccines. Vaccines containing adjuvant, a component to stimulate the immune system, are at least 5 times more likely to cause a VAS.
VAS is 100% fatal if the tumor is between the shoulder blades. With surgical removal, radiation therapy and chemotherapy survival time is less than 3 years. If the tumor is in the distal part of the rear leg, amputation, plus radiation, & chemo may be curative in 20% of cases.

Non - Adjuvanted vaccines are available for cats for all preventable diseases including Rabies, Distemper, Rhinotracheitis, Calici virus and Feline Leukemia, and are considered safer.

Intranasal Vaccines are safer.
The AVMA VAS Task Force recommends, to reduce the risk of VAS:
#1. reduced vaccination schedules,
#2. vaccination in the distal hind limb,  and
#3  intranasal and non-adjuvanted vaccines.
So do either Non Adjuvunted or Nasal Vaccines only and yes you can request that they are administered in the lower leg.  As far as going outside, the Fvrcp & Leuk are the only vaccines that are effective there are the FIV, FIP and other vaccines but they haven't proven to be effective so not worth giving.  She is not considered fully safe until she has all 3 sets of her kitten shots.