Kitten threw up undigested food and other questions

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Before anything I'd like to say that I am so confused about everything. I don't have experience and I took a kitten for my niece.

Kitten (she) is 10 weeks old and is mostly normal (as in very very playful.). She doesn't react to any voice telling her dos or not dos. So I tested her hearing with squeeky toys and it's all good.

Today she slept and woke up, the food bowl wasn't empty all the way I'm not sure if she had any food just then or before sleep but she started meowing a bit, went to litter tray and got in the position to poop but then stood up and gaged and threw up some undigested food. She is on wet food with different flavours, chicken beef and salmon. The one that was currently in the bowl was chicken. After she threw that up, she actually covered it and then a few seconds later she did her poo too. (she also overdoes the covering of her poo and everything goes to mess and the poo goes everywhere in litter box but she never does it outside)

After or before that she's been eating well. No gags or strange noises or anything. Since I just got her, is insurance needed? Also, when cats lick themselves does it cause those hairball things? She does not have any hair coming off as I tested but she does lick herself and thar also gets me worried.

Also I thought she sleeps a lot but after googling I guess it's normal.? I haven't timed how long but surely not more than 10. In fact after the search I feel like she doesn't sleep enough.

Also about vaccination, she is a indoor cat but when should I get her vaccinated? And about the worming, do I also take her to the vet for that? Is she at risk of any illness inside the house while she isn't vaccinated? Eg going near and sniffing shoes.

I'm sorry I don't even know how I wrote so much but I guess I really need to learn this and also pass it on to my niece and family

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would it also be OK if she sleeps alone because atm she likes to bite toes and I'm just scared about my niece I'm not sure if the stuff I am scared of even exists in this country but I'm scared of the type of viruses they can give to humans idk rabies or something. The cats mom was said to be upto date with vaccines and health checks and all that

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
You will find many articles to help you. Congrats on your new kitten! The cans are pretty accurate on how much to feed. It is very very exterely Highly unlikely she has rabies. nibbling at your toes could mean she's hungry or wants to play. Since she is inside only it is unlikely to have parasites unless she was ever outside. Cats will occasionally have hairballs. Canned food helps because of moisture and start brusing her and clipping her claws. Also churu tubes or tiki stiks,90% water and a treat! It helps to have her on a feeding schedule. There are cat food timers for wet or dry food for a late night snack when my cats were kittens they were fed wellness core chicken,turkey,and chicken liver. Less expensive back then

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it also be OK if she sleeps alone because atm she likes to bite toes and I'm just scared about my niece I'm not sure if the stuff I am scared of even exists in this country but I'm scared of the type of viruses they can give to humans idk rabies or something. The cats mom was said to be upto date with vaccines and health checks and all that
In the early morning cats like to play so she will be fine though after 30 minutes she will bang on your door. All cats are different so some will act different

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As she is so young and unvaccinated I would be a bit worried about her throwing up. It's unlikely that she will have groomed herself enough to have hairballs already. BEFORE you pass the kitten on to your niece it would be a really good idea to get her checked over by a vet. She will need to have fecal tests for parasites, blood tests for FIV and FeLV and, if she is throwing up, she might have a stomach bug that will need to be treated before she goes to her new home. She should also be checked for fleas. Even indoor only cats pick up fleas, ticks and worms and you don't want her to carry anything like this into her new home.

Make sure you get her vaccinated as soon as the vet thinks she is healthy enough. She's old enough for her core vaccines now and will need a second dose a few weeks after the first.

Also, make an appointment to get her spayed now. You need to make sure she is spayed at around five months of age, as female cats can start producing kittens at that age.

Kittens make nice presents, but caring for a cat properly can be pretty expensive. If you are going to give her to your niece it would better if you could cover the basic health care, such as vaccines, spay and blood tests.

Some articles here to check out.

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide – TheCatSite Articles

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

Cat Fleas – TheCatSite Articles

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition – TheCatSite Articles

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As she is so young and unvaccinated I would be a bit worried about her throwing up. It's unlikely that she will have groomed herself enough to have hairballs already. BEFORE you pass the kitten on to your niece it would be a really good idea to get her checked over by a vet. She will need to have fecal tests for parasites, blood tests for FIV and FeLV and, if she is throwing up, she might have a stomach bug that will need to be treated before she goes to her new home. She should also be checked for fleas. Even indoor only cats pick up fleas, ticks and worms and you don't want her to carry anything like this into her new home.

Make sure you get her vaccinated as soon as the vet thinks she is healthy enough. She's old enough for her core vaccines now and will need a second dose a few weeks after the first.

Also, make an appointment to get her spayed now. You need to make sure she is spayed at around five months of age, as female cats can start producing kittens at that age.

Kittens make nice presents, but caring for a cat properly can be pretty expensive. If you are going to give her to your niece it would better if you could cover the basic health care, such as vaccines, spay and blood tests.

Some articles here to check out.

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

Cat Fleas – TheCatSite Articles

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you so much. I will take her to a vet tomorrow and also, is my niece at risk of rabies? Idk if that even exists in UK but then again idk as much as I'd liked about the mom and dad

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you plan to insure her--and I believe you should because the dumbest things like swallowing string can cost many thousands of dollars--I would hold off on discussing the vomiting with your vet for now. Get her a new cat first physical examination. I would then sign her up for insurance and wait out the new policy waiting period before discussing the vomiting with the vet. For many policies, that's two weeks. If you take her in for a vomit visit before you've signed her up for insurance, the insurance company can note the vomiting in her file as a pre-existing condition and deny any claims that involve vomiting.

I don't know pet insurance companies in the UK. In the US, I like Embrace. One thing I like about them is that they have an option to review your cat's file with them and ask that "pre-existing conditions" that haven't presented themselves in a year to have them removed from your cat's policy. I'm not sure how many other insurance providers are willing to do that.

Personally, I think the vomiting could have been that she ate too much too fast, and/or she was slightly constipated and the effort to pass stool made her throw up. I would take her into the vet for a new cat physical exam and bring in a poop sample to test for parasites. Unless the vomiting becomes a regular occurrence, I would keep it out of her medical record until she's past her insurance waiting period.

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. I went to a vet near my house and they said they don't have even have vaccines. It looked so messed up in there I didn't even stay. I booked an appointment for 10th April for vaccinations.

The vomitting has stopped from the day I posted. I forgot to mention she pooped a lot with really good consistency and I also had a close look at it and it seemed fine (the poop). If I am not wrong (since different people in the house open it food) , the only times this happened is when she ate the chicken flavour food.

We also bought dry food and it seems like she enjoys that more than the dry food. It has also decreased the smell of her poop. I was also getting worried about her not drinking water but now with the dry food she drinks so much.

I keep having worries about different things like is her vaccination delayed ? She is 10 week now. House is very clean however she has gone into the shoes a few times idk if the type of stuff they get would be a danger from shoes or not.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad she's feeling better. It's not uncommon for cats to have a chicken allergy, so maybe that's why she threw up.

Did you find a better vet than the one near your house, or is she getting her vaccines there? Make sure you keep all of her vaccine certificates. When you find a vet you like you can show them the certificates and they'll be able to make sure she gets the boosters she needs. Make an appointment to get her spayed too. There's quite a long waiting list for spay and neuter surgery these days and she'll need to be fixed at around 5 months old.

Kell1997

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's feeling better. It's not uncommon for cats to have a chicken allergy, so maybe that's why she threw up.

Did you find a better vet than the one near your house, or is she getting her vaccines there? Make sure you keep all of her vaccine certificates. When you find a vet you like you can show them the certificates and they'll be able to make sure she gets the boosters she needs. Make an appointment to get her spayed too. There's quite a long waiting list for spay and neuter surgery these days and she'll need to be fixed at around 5 months old.
Hi again thanks for the reply. Yes I took her to a vet and they vaccinated her (im not sure what vaccine it was or the name. it was only 1 shot in the back of the neck. I was told to come back in 4 weeks for another one. but unfortunately they didn't give me a certificate. I hope I can get it after her other vaccine in 4 weeks). the vet did a very basic check up like listening with a stethoscope, weighing her and taking temperature. he said it is all normal and I asked for a report he said I need to book a different appointment with someone else for more check ups and a report. So seeing its like this, I also mentioned the vomiting and he said based on what I described it seems fine but I should still observe and see what happens.

2 things I forgot to mention is the kitty is super confused on hiding her poop. sometimes she does a good job but sometimes she doesn't even know which direction to move the litter. and also when she sleeps she stretches and switches sides so much and keeps falling off the edge of bed

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Some information on vaccines here.

Sounds like she got the FHV-1/FCV combination. One shot in the back of the neck is common. Do you have her vet records and a receipt for the vaccine? Next time you go tell them you need the certificates to prove to her new owner that she has had her jabs. You are entitled to a certificate, just be pushy and make sure they give you one.

when she sleeps she stretches and switches sides so much and keeps falling off the edge of bed
Get her a cat bed with sides. I have one on the foot of my bed for the cats to sleep in, they like to be able to snuggle up against the edges. A soft sided one like this would keep her safe and cosy

1649469537711.png