Kitten terrorizing kind older cat

kattefar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My GF and I took in an abandoned kitten when it was roughly 3-4 weeks old. Now it is approximately 8 weeks and the past two weeks it has been terrorizing our older cat, Felix, so much that he's staying outside most of the day where he used to be a sticker to anyone sitting down. We have never said anything to Felix for hitting or hissing at the kitten but he seems to have an idea that he is not allowed to do so and so he will just leave every time to kitten terrorizes him. We have a hard time understanding why he isn't giving him more beatings than he has to put him in his place as Felix is a huge Norwegian forest cat and the king of the area meaning he comes in with bite marks to his ears and scratches to his face every week so he knows how to fight but he's being too gentle to the little devil of a kitten. 

The kitten can now climb to all the places Felix can so there are no more safe havens available to him. We try to protect him the best we can by removing the kitten every time it comes to annoy him (which atm is every time he sees Felix) and  we have also tried other things like distracting the kitten with toys and to encourage Felix to just put the little devil in his place and show who's boss once and for all - but it isn't happening :(

What can we do to help our kind old cat to cope with this annoying kitten? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattefar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot one important thing!  

Whenever they get fed the good stuff we make sure Felix gets his first and then the kitten. If the kitten is done eating his he will run to Felix to look at his food and Felix will just turn away and let him have it. We lost a cat two years ago and it was never allowed to touch Felix´ food and he would turn around and hit the other cat. Now he's just surrendering, we do not understand... 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe Felix's a real gentleman cat and doesn't beat younglings. 

Is there a room with lots of toys you can put the kitten in to separate them? The kitten probably never had a chance to develop proper social skills, so you will have to take on that role. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattefar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we have a large living room that the kitten can play in. There's is everything a kitten needs and a lot more if you ask me ;)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes we have a large living room that the kitten can play in. There's is everything a kitten needs and a lot more if you ask me ;)
All he needs to be happy then! 

Do you have more than one living room though? When I say separate, I mean the kitten being in a room that you don't spend most of the time in. Felix is probably feeling a little down, and since he's the resident cat, you don't want to separate HIM. Felix needs to be "as it was" before the kitten came in -- with you, able to roam the whole house (except that one room or area).